Goldenwest Credit Union

Be The First To
Add Photos

Amazing Place to Work

Director of Sales (Former Employee) South Ogden, UT

ProsVery personal managers and staff that care about family. Can't tell you how many times I saw this company give back to their employees and so many ways. I was always allowed to talk with the executives about new ideas and able to interact with the agents. Great corporate offices with a gym and basketball court. Tons of games and fun staff meetings.

ConsCompany is growing fast and so it has some of the growing pains of a company growing. So that comes with challenges such as managers doing double duty or maybe needing more help in their individual department. They are working hard to grow as their size grows and feel confident in their management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reaching out to the team for ideas on how to make employee life great! We love that.

A decent FIRST job

ProsThe people
    Flexibility
    Benefits

There are great people and friends. You will fall in love with many of the people there.
    They work around your schedule and try their best to accommodate you.
    If you are full time, there are great benefits to take advantage of.

ConsPay
    Expectations
    And work load

You get paid close to nothing. Starting out you get paid 8.00 an hour as a teller. (Which I later found out that new hires get 8.50)
    You end up dedicating a lot to the job for that small pay. You make calls, help members, filing, money, answering questions FOR people who should be guiding you. There is a lot that management expects from you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you love your employees as you always say, put a little more effort in showing in with the pay. Don't expect them to sell or do everything for you without rewarding them.

Supply Chain Specialist

Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) South Ogden, UT

ProsGreat Company, Great Benefits, & Great Atmostphere

ConsPay is pretty low. Great for College students living at home, or recent high school grads.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience, High Turnover Rate

Junior Loan Officer (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsGained great financial skills that I applied to my own life, learned how to positively position myself with upper management, exercised my ability to learn and grow within a position.

I advanced from teller, was then selected to be placed in the call center for a fast track training to be a loan officer and was beginning training for mortgages when left. I was also offered a loan officer training position when I left.

Most fellow employees are friendly.

ConsPay is less than satisfactory. I was young enough I did not need benefits although I hear benefits are good, I could have cared less. You work your butt off for pennies.

The constant pressure to sell as described in other reviews is spot on. But all the people who were really good salesmen knew they were worth more and eventually left. They also offer hourly pay raises if you pass a series of tests. I passed 3 or 4 and gained a whole 25 cents an hour per test that required hours of studying. My one year evaluation raise? A whole 33 cents.

The year I was there we didn't meet our yearly goal. As a result the whole company was declined a Christmas bonus and an annual "giveaway" party where large prizes were given. I'm assuming upper management still received a bonus.

It's very important to me to be able to leave work for a doctors appointment or other things like that. For your first year as an employee, you get a small amount of sick leave and that's it. I asked to reduce my hours since I was a student at the time and was told no.

The majority of upper management is friendly but in the call center you get a million questions you don't know how to answer. Asking for help from the appropriate person was a waste. They treated you like you were an idiot.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. You spend more money on training new ones than if you just payed current ones a competitive pay. Your front line people that speak directly to your customers are the most valuable yet you treat them as nothing.

Loans/New Accounts/Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has good benefits including health care, dental, 401K and matching contributions, fun people to work with, good culture, service oriented industry.

ConsSeems like the more job responsibility you got, the less you were paid. There are opportunities to cross sell to increase income but the base pay is ridiculous.

The company expects a lot but doesn't give a lot in return.

Teller I (Former Employee) North Ogden, UT

ProsGood benefits- insurance, gym memberships, etc
    Most employees are super friendly
    Flexible with school
    Most members are nice

Cons-Terrible base pay. Company claims you can supplement your income and make more per hour through their 'Cross Sell" program but unless you are dealing with loans on a daily basis its near impossible. Most members do not qualify for the products or services offered by the credit union and those that do qualify already are signed up for such products or services. The credit union is actually considered a low income credit union therefore as stated above most members do not have the finances or the credit to qualify. Once in awhile you would get a "sell" but its not enough to supplement the awful base pay.
    -Management can be rude and expect a lot from the employees beyond the job description.
    -Very strict on policies
    -Unfair treatment if there is a problem
    -Required meetings every week at branch (Generally a waste of time because they are a review of the emails that you receive throughout the week)
    -Required monthly sales meeting at corporate office (Also a waste of time, only the select few dealing with loans are ever recognized for sales, the rest of the employees do not have such an opportunity )
    -No extra pay for speaking another language, being a notary, training other employees, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to lead by example in many aspects. They should not be the last to arrive and the first to leave just because they may be salary and not hourly. Management needs to help those below them in any way they can in a helpful manner rather than seeming bothered to help as seen in many instances and at many branches.

Goldenwest is for you IF you love to sell loans

ProsMost employees are pretty friendly. The company usually has some community-related project going on throughout the year. The benefits are not bad, reasonably competitive.

ConsGoldenwest has a culture that is focused on sales. Everyone in the company from the guy who washes the windows to the upper management is required to sell loans. Part of your bonus depends on how much you sell. Everyone is required to make a "top 20" list of people they know who they will contact in the year and sell them a loan or other Goldenwest product. Bottom line: if you work at Goldenwest, expect to sell loans to your family and friends.

And there is also "banker's day". Each day there is a goal set for the amount of loans that employees must "cross sell" to people they know or see coming into the branch. If the employees don't meet this goal, the following day will be a "banker's day". A bankers day means the dress code changes from business casual to dresses and skirts for the women and button up shirts and ties for the men. Every employee is required to dress up on banker's day or they are sent home (on their own time) to change into the appropriate attire.

The goals change from day to day. Some days they are in the low hundred thousands. Other days they are a million dollars. Most days the employees meet the goals but there can be times where they have banker's day for several days in a row.

In order to meet the goals, employees who directly deal with the credit union's "members" (or customers) are trained to always ask the customers if they would like to open a loan. I believe this is somewhat unique to Goldenwest as I have never been asked if I would like open an auto loan at a bank when all I want to do is deposit some money.

Every month they have a meeting that every employee is required to attend. It used to be called "staff meeting" but they now call it "sales meeting". Usually employees put on a skit or two reminiscent of a high school assembly. The head sales manager takes up most of the time telling people what the goals are for the company and tries to motivate employees to sell more loans.

They also have someone that calls your desk anonymously and asks you questions about the company's products. You are scored on how well you know the products, if you were polite to the person, if you called the person by name, and a few other factors. Everyone in the whole company gets these calls... not just the call center. Your score is a factor in your bonus.

Pay also isn't going to be competitive with other companies around.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what the members really want.

A good place to work, led by good people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is truly run with a high degree of integrity. The atmosphere is very good, morale generally high, benefits are wonderful.

ConsThe pay is not all that great.

Goldenwest is still growing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUpper management is visible. You'll see VP's and they'll stop and talk to you. They also compensate for good results.

ConsYou have to wait a full year before you get your 2 weeks vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out with advancement plans for employees. "If you succeed at 'this' kind of work, you'll eventually earn 'this' job"

Worked for Goldenwest Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!