Golder Associates

Golder Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Golder Associates President Brian Conlin

Brian Conlin

Pros
  • Employee owned so people have personal interest in work duties(in 15 reviews)

• Most of the offices allow for an ok but not great work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a catch phrase and not reality(in 3 reviews)

• This severly limits the opportunity for growth for junior staff(in 4 reviews)

Administrative Assistant supporting the Oil and Gas Industry

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsGreat career development program. Great benefits and growth opportunities.

ConsWorking with people who do not always look out for the good of the company. Because it was not a publicly held company many shareholders felt they were entitled to top notch services and wide open expense accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to offer.

A great company for a life long career

Principal (Current Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsThis employee owned company strives to be the best in the industry and rewards dedicated, hard working, intelligent employees with abundant opportunities. To enjoy the collegial atmosphere you will need to take pride in your ownership of the company and be committed to serving clients at the highest level.

ConsWe compete with the "big boys" but struggle without their resources. We also struggle to maintain our culture and identity as we grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core business. Fully evaluate the ROI on all investments. Don't waste our limited financial resources.

Golder is what you make of it

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGolder is a great place for those who know what they want and essentially "hire" Golder to achieve those goals. Golder is not a place for "a job", i.e. for someone who wants to be spoon-fed and taken care and just do a good day's work for an average salary. Golder spits out anyone who is not committed to achieving and growing, and so many of the people who come into companies these days have no clue about this. You will not survive nor advance if you look at Golder as a job. Golder is a place for adults and entrepeneurs, not children who wish to be taken care of.

ConsPay does not match what could be earned in the industries that many of the senior cunsultants practice in. As a result, Golder loses some very good people at all levels, because consulting is stressful, and a salary to reflect that is important.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about growth and stat worrying about how to be ever more profitable with a static number of employees. Unless and until you figure out this issue, Golder will eventually be sold and become public.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Major disappointment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsReally nothing. I have worked all over the country and for many different companies,and Golder has been the worst experience of my professional career. However, for a recent graduate looking for experience and travel opportunities for 2-5 years then jump to a better company (which most do) it is OK.

ConsAn elitist system of Principals and Associates stiffles growth, morale, and promotes favoritism that inhibits diversity. You need to take out a second mortgage to buy enough stock to even be considered for a promotion to Associate, and then you need to be chosen by a Principal to get in to this club. It is a long shot. Good work means nothing. If you find yourself on the outside, you are on your own. You will need to find your own work because management could care less about you if you are not in their clique. You need to be under the wing of one of the powerful Principals just to keep your job let alone be promoted. As a result, huge turnover and frequent layoffs occur just about on a quarterly basis.

Culture is like being in a dysfunctional high school - very cliquish and A LOT OF PHONIES ABOUND!!! Gossip in the hallways everywhere. No real leadership despite all the lame attempts at mentoring. The Principals (mostly men) favor the young Millenials and women. I never saw anyone else promoted or given a raise despite productivity. Many times I was the only man in meetings of a dozen or more professionals. A subcontractor actually described Golder as being "estrogen rich". Do not have an original thought or you will have to be "Golderized". Follow the leader types will succeed. No teamwork. During a meeting one C-5 level actually said she will refuse to work with anyone else in the group and that she preferred working with people from other offices. Why have a team then? This not only is tolerated, it is the norm.

Too many dysfunctional systems promoted by Principals that are useless. Golder is a horrible place for mid-level to senior technical people because the Principals have been gutting the mid- to senior-level people throughout the company for years. There is mostly C3 level and lower, and Principals and Associates on top. Most of the latter are so out of touch with the technical aspects of the business and most of the former aren't experienced enough to provide quality work. I guess Golder doesn't care about quality work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know where to start. The entire senior management needs to go.

Senior Environmental Engineer

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsLots of flexibility and ability to pursue projects that interest you. Ability to form close relationships with clients and develop long lasting customers. Great place to learn.

ConsPay is low for highly skilled, educated and talented scientific and engineering professionals. Principal and Associate ownership system is an "old boys club" and invitation to be a business partner is dictated more on who you know than how you can impact the bottom line of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with maternity leave. Require that all office managers have an MBA or some knowledge of general and accepted business acumen.

If you're not a P&A or on the technical side - you will get no respect!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed some of the relationships I made while at Golder and have some great friends from the experience. I did learn a lot about how not to run a company and how to try to implement projects with all odd against you.

ConsIf you are not a P&A or on the technical side, the lack of respect for your skills is embarrassing and borderline harrassment. People in core business positions like accounting, marketing, and HR, etc are degraded and treated like they are nothing more than a highschool graduate who is lucky to have an opportunity to come into the office each day. As an engineer, they believe that they know how to do anything and these core business staff know nothing. Your pay is a very good reflection of this attitude. As a core business staff, you can expect to receive more and more responsibility, possibly even taking on two peoples jobs - but don't expect to be compensated for that - again, it is your privledge to work here! The technical staff throw money out the window with their lack of accountability, but that's not their fault because management does not hold them accountable for anything. In turn, when business is bad, just lay off more core business people to help compensate. Also, people who do poorly at their job get promoted to "move" them out of "wrong positions" - this teaches the that it's ok to have a bad attitude and created a working environment that does not promote hard work and rewards. Those that work hard get rewarded with a good review and a pat on the back - definitely not a raise or a bonus (unless you are a Principal or Associate).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting engineers run the office and hire some people who actually have experience and skills running a company. Also, hold people accountable for the decisions they make and maybe the company will make more money rather than throwing it out the window and can stop laying people off.

Great company for entry levels if you make the effort

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities for the taking, you have to take it upon yourself to pursue the projects you are interested in.

ConsManagement doesn't always like to share ongoing project developments or office developments, which may blindside you once in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should try to be more open in discussing company projections and informing staff about financial developments.

Discriminatory Environment in U.S.

Associate (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsReasonable project assignments for entry level personnel.

ConsThe U.S. Company has been out for some time to terminate older employees. They particularly target support services senior staff and then replace them with younger, unqualified people. U.S. company management does not have the slightest clue. People have lost all confidence in so-called leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over! You are currently totally destructive and destroying the morale that used to be here. The rest of global Golder may be doing OK, but GAI is a non-participant.

Depends what you're looking for

ProsLots of freedom to pursue areas which you enjoy and work around your lifestyle. Management is very understanding and flexible to accommodate your needs.

ConsSalary and benefits aren't as great as others companies in the industry. However you have sacrifice other areas to get better pay in other companies.

Great people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEmployee owned, great work atmosphere, easy to approach and talk to top management and principals, great technical knowledge.

ConsHigh turn-over among non-engineering/technical staff

Worked for Golder Associates? Contribute to the Community!