Golder Associates

Golder Associates Reviews

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Golder Associates President Brian Conlin

Brian Conlin

Pros:
  • "Employee owned so people have personal interest in work duties"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Most of the offices allow for an ok but not great work-life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very flat management and caring"
    in 4 reviews
  • "This severly limits the opportunity for growth for junior staff"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Depends what you're looking for

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of freedom to pursue areas which you enjoy and work around your lifestyle. Management is very understanding and flexible to accommodate your needs.

ConsSalary and benefits aren't as great as others companies in the industry. However you have sacrifice other areas to get better pay in other companies.

Great people to work with

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time

ProsEmployee owned, great work atmosphere, easy to approach and talk to top management and principals, great technical knowledge.

ConsHigh turn-over among non-engineering/technical staff

Values driven company

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time

ProsExceptional people across all sectors

ConsCompany structure is not cohesive

Good place to work but could use some help with management

Staff Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee owned - the company tends to hold on to employees even when times are tough. Diverse client base with lots of work in economy proof areas. Work loads tend to be fairly steady and aren't the feast or famine varieties found in other consulting firms. Golder has some real talented people and exciting new divisions.

ConsMeager pay increases and paths for promotion within the company. Many times the only way to get ahead is to find a job elsewhere, and threaten to leave. The company stock system seems questionable, and difficult for junior staff to afford to be part of. Management is slow to deal with problem staff, and promotions/raises seem to have little to do with performance. Communication between groups and offices is generally pretty poor. Benefits are sub-par for what the employees are contributing. The company management structure seems top heavy at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually listening to the average employee and not just the other Ps and As. Find new ways to reward employees for doing and excellent job, and don't be afraid to move people out of positions where they have struggled for years. It shouldn't be a surprise that often Geologists and Engineers don't make great managers...

The U.S. Operating Company is a joke.

I have been working at Golder Associates

ProsBenefits are decent thanks to upgrades made a number of years ago.

ConsThe company hasn't grown one iota in five years. Management is comprised entirely of engineers who don't know a single thing about developing or managing a company. They are arrogant and uncaring. Numerous layoffs have focused on the most senior employes. Management tries to present themselves as compassionate and collegial - they are anything but.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransform the company by hiring professional management personnel who know something about organizational development and human relations.

Great People confused direction

Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Golder Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people. I have made lifelong friends from my time at Golder. Employee owned so people have personal interest in work duties. Benefits are great although a little pricey. Variety of work. I got to work on a variety of projects with different scopes of work. Great place to start a career. Once you become a Golder employee, there is an opportunity to stay there for a very long time. I met multiple career Golder employees.

ConsField staff are expected to pay up front for field costs, which can be very difficult for young professionals starting their careers. Salary is lower than industry standards. Expected to travel a lot(field staff). No clear path to grow career. There are a few terrible managers I experienced, but common at most workplaces. They have a hard time adjusting to the market conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving health and safety.

A decent environment to acquire transferable technical skills and knowledge.

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Golder Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsThis office features a strong business model with dedicated experts who are content to share their technical knowledge and expertise. Management appears concerned over the welfare of its employees and is serious about performance reviews. Overall morale is above average. Company offers a fairly generous time-off policy that separates sick and vacation time. Decent medical, dental, and vision benefits are provided at a reasonable cost. Work schedule is relaxed with opportunity to telecommute and take personal time off as needed, and the office location is walking distance from BART. Applicable new hires receive a free pre-employment physical.

ConsExpectations are occasionally unrealistic. The position/compensation structure is poorly defined and tends to favor those having the most experience that Golder deems relevant. The "employee-owned" nature of the company only benefits those who regularly invest in the company stock and remain for the very long-term. The PDG program, designed for the career development of junior and mid-level personnel, has good intentions but feels more like an obligatory morale campaign. Overall, my tenure was valuable but ultimately a stepping stone to a more rewarding opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove definition of position structure and broaden salary ranges. Provide a monetary award to employees who successfully complete the probationary period. Offer positions by telephone prior to sending an E-mail to demonstrate your sincerity and provide the candidate a better opportunity to negotiate.

Fast pace and friendly

I have been working at Golder Associates

ProsGet mentoring, lots of room to grow your own practice

ConsSome of the Admin can be difficult to work with

Great work, great people, sometimes management is cumbersome.

Project Geologist (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Golder Associates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart and talented staff that reach out to other offices frequently for project help.

ConsRegional management could use a tune-up. Tend to horde work amongst offices due to the business model based on office revenues and productivity.

Mind numbingly boring, but honest labor.

Student Lab Technician (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Golder Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, honest work, friendly atmosphere.

ConsExtremely repetitive work. Some coworkers were less than friendly (exception, not the rule).

Worked for Golder Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Golder Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Golder Associates CEO Brian Conlin. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Golder Associates employees.