Golder Associates Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Hisham Mahmoud

Pros
  • The pros of working for Golder is they do offer a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Employee owned - the company tends to hold on to employees even when times are tough (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance often poorly modeled (in 5 reviews)

• They hired me saying that there was a lot of work in my field (in 4 reviews)

1. Golder

Current Employee - Staff Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Civil Engineer

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gives great project opportunities and training to entry employees who want to work hard and put in the time. Very health and safety oriented and very laid back when it comes to employees work schedule.

Cons

Company has had a difficult year globally and is transitioning to a new CEO with a new attitude on running the company.

2. meh

I worked at Golder Associates

Pros

knowledgeable professional staff. people cared about the quality of the work the company produced

Cons

chimneyed organization. lots of ego clashes lack of resource and project management personnel

3. Challenging but fair

I have been working at Golder Associates

Pros

Tough our industry but all the right people to be successful

Cons

not growing fast enough globally

Not unless it's your last option!

Former Employee - Anon in Commerce Township, MI
    Former Employee - Anon in Commerce Township, MI

I worked at Golder Associates (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty loose "8-hour" day - decent pay

Cons

Everything else - literally everything - definitely a place where the emperor isn't wearing any clothes but the rest of the emperors don't/won't say a thing in case everyone notices they aren't wearing any either. In this case all of the emperors are the Ps and As

Advice to Management

Take a good look at utilization, who really brought the work in and THEN act accordingly.

Loyal but not brainwashed

I have been working at Golder Associates (More than 10 years)

Pros

Career development opportunities, collegial atmosphere, employee ownership, high level of professional integrity across the company, loyalty, passionate staff

Cons

I honestly don't think there's anything that goes on at Golder that doesn't also occur at other companies.

Treats their employees like cattle

I worked at Golder Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff who take pride in their work. Good global coverage. Honestly, there are no other pros unless you are senior management and can stab people in the back without repercussions.

Cons

I have worked at 6 different companies over a long career, and without question, Golder is in the running for the worst run company in the world. They make bad management decisions on which markets to pursue and how to spend their money in general. Then when they realize that they need to save some money, they lay-off staff with impunity. Good staff, too. I once saw an engineer who had put in 125 hours in one week to get a project out the door (yes, he slept at the office that entire week) get laid off less than a year later for lack of work (when, in reality, management had stupidly spent too much money on overhead). Management also fosters an environment where employees are encouraged to stab each other in the back and then reap the rewards. And then if you were silly enough to buy stock, forget about getting that money back anytime within the next few years. Absolutely no regard for their clients except as cash cows. A truly horrible company that treats its main commodity (its people) like crap, and deserves to go out of business.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like expendable widgets.

8. Great place to grow and learn

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employed for 11 years at Golder. I have learned a ton on a variety of projects and enjoy the community.

Cons

Very little vacation. Company is not growing financially and was mismanaged for the past couple of years.

9. Love working here, been here 10+ years

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule Nice people Lots of opportunity to travel and gain experience with many fun projects

Cons

There have been some disagreements between employees and upper management, but that will happen with any large company. I am confident they will pass.

Advice to Management

Keep us in between the lines and focused on the destination and beyond.

10. Principals

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at Golder Associates

Pros

Freedom to excel, entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

None, great company to work for.

11. Best company I

I have been working at Golder Associates (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility to pursue opportunities and markets I'm interested in. Dynamic, highly technical team that does some really impressive work. Great client relationships. I've been able to travel internationally for work and worked on international projects from the comfort of my office. Very reasonable expectations of workload compared to the other consulting firms I've worked for. So I've had a lot better work-life balance to have quality time with my family. Great opportunities for advancement and ownership in the company. The feel in an employee owned company is so much better.

Cons

None. I really enjoy the people I work with. We have had some people let go from underperforming markets, but the future is bright and we have some great projects I'm working on right now. Our new CEO is very inspirational. Can't wait to see what the future brings.

Advice to Management

Clients want more Golder services. I've been getting more work from clients telling others to use Golder.

RSS Feed </> Embed