Goldman Sachs
3.7 of 5 1,590 reviews
www.goldmansachs.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Goldman Sachs Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm"
    in 156 reviews
  • "You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder"
    in 258 reviews
  • "Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for"
    in 346 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great teamwork environment

Jersey City, NJ

Pros- great teamwork -- no us and them
    - great culture
    - great opportunities to take significant levels of responsibility
    - control over your own career

Cons- long hours, though flexible
    - complexity of organisation means that decision making can take longer than people often expect
    - "getting" the culture is necessary for success

Advice to Senior Management- continue to communicate, communicate communicate , and over-communicate
    - otherwise great job in steering the ship through very difficult times

Intense but amazing learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros-Smart colleagues
    -High caliber of work expected

Cons-Sometime too competitive rather than collaborative.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the environment more team-oriented and don't just pay lip service to the collaborative atmosphere.

You are in control of your career

Analyst/Developer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsYou are in control of your career - I think the phrase above comes from some HR brochure, but it's largely true at Goldman. Your promotions (and to a large extent your compensation) are based almost entirely on your performance, not some set schedule or years of experience. Those who have excellent performance are promoted rapidly and their compensation increases far beyond what an average salary might be in the this field. Those whose performance is poor or average are asked to leave the firm, so you are always left working with only the best people.

The technology organization is surprisingly agile and people can quickly move between projects as business priorities change. There is very little tolerance for wasteful work or projects that do not serve a clear business purpose. There are 3 general job roles people can perform in technology at GS based on their skills and interests, with a focus on business analysis at one and of the spectrum and focus on tech infrastructure at the other end. Putting people in these roles creates people who are highly skilled experts in a specific area and reduces the number of inefficient "jacks of all trades".

ConsThere are some day-to-day politics which reduce the efficiency of the organization, but to a much smaller extent than at other firms. Some people don't like the amount of work or the long hours, but I feel they might just be working for the wrong firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance is overrated. Let people who want to work long hours work long hours. Let people who want to leave early leave early. We do it because we enjoy the work, and working harder and longer translates into better service for our clients and the firm. And there is nothing wrong with rewarding people who work harder vs. those who do not.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

New York, NY

ProsOpen environement, few boundaries between management layers

ConsHigh expectations, can lead to long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementIncease transparency on vision

Hard working culture but less team building and morale building activities

Jersey City, NJ

ProsObjective evaluation of individual efforts . . .
    Hard working and smart people around you . . .
    Good pay and benefits

ConsPeople are less important in most teams than the goals which is not sustainable in long term ... . . .

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to building people relations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Great place to start your career

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsHard to find a better employer in SLC, UT. Great culture, exceptional benefits, excellent reputation.

ConsWork in SLC is sometimes more operational/procedural, definitely not a terribly interesting longer term proposition.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Great Internship

New York, NY

Prosaccess to senior management, tons of mentorship and support

ConsLack of structure, long hours and challanging but a lot to learn and do every day

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great Place to work

Jersey City, NJ

ProsOnly the best of the best survive, you will always need to be at the top of your game if you want to advance. Your destiny is in your own hands, no one will silence a top player, set goals and acheive, no room for "fakers". It like having a pro football carreer, you need to be in top shape physically and metally.

ConsLife work balance is what you make it, however you need to be careful not to cross the line and appear to be taking advantage. If so, it will be noticed and you wont be in the right place at the right time. Very competative, can be a pro or con, depending on your drive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, you have a good thing here, just remember to look at all levels, there are some shining stars in the ranks, mentor, polish them and they will help you suceed.

Goldman Sachs-Salt Lake

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsSense of Community, good work environment and co-workers are friendly and helpful.

Conslong hours, work-life balance could be better.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage more open dialogue about progress and downfalls of progress within the company.

Greatest place I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsEven though I was laid off, I will always be grateful for the experience of working at Goldman. I was afforded the opportunity to interact with some of the most intelligent yet down to earth people. The oportunities for learning and being exposed to different layers of management was always a plus. Intentional effort was placed on making sure that mentoring was in place. The name recognition is worth its weight in gold. Because Goldman is known for employing the best talent, being accepted as an authority in your respective field of expertise is almost a given. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

ConsUnless you were willing to relocate, there were not enough advancement opportunities. A more streamlined approach to cultural integration is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. Its not easy being at the top; of course you know this already. Those who didn't make the same choices you did, can't be angry that you now reap the benefits of making more sound education, social and career choices. Why should a company make billions of dollars and not compensate management compensurate with earnings. You treat your employees fairly and that is what your responsibility is; not to right the woes of the nation's economy.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees.