Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein

Lloyd C. Blankfein

(1,002 ratings)

1,480 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Smart people, great analyst class, offers a good career path due to its reputation"
    in 137 reviews
  • "You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines"
    in 37 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder"
    in 236 reviews
  • "Very long hours, pressure from senior people, high turnover of excellent people"
    in 323 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work life balance, non existent

Tax Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Best and the brightest to work with.
- Great benefits (401K, vacation, unlimited sick, health insurance, life insurance, 4 months paid time off maternity)

Cons- work/life balance does not exist. In order to get promoted in the company your complete focus needs to be on your job. Regular outside activities are not encouraged. Very difficult to have a life outside of work.
- Regular hours do not exist. Employees are expected to work until the job is done, even if that means 16 hours/day for weeks or sometimes months on end.
- culture is very corporate. Difficult to make changes to processes or procedures.
- no perks! Including no company parties, not even for Christmas. Only thing free in the office is coffee and water (if the water dispenser is working).

Entry level operations position.

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

ProsLots of control over project work.

ConsNot as much of a meritocracy or as team-based as I had hoped.

Overall , GS is nice place to work

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood working environment and people is nice (based on which office you work at) Lot internal sources available for employee and great benefit.

ConsComp could be better ( based on the hour we put in and market rate).

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

The culture is designed to make you feel insecure

Research Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPros: compensation, prestige, nice new building with lots of windows and a good gym.

ConsCons: the hours are brutal, internal competition (including backstabbing and taking credit for others' work) is rewarded at the expense of mentorship and teamwork, and the culture is designed to promote insecurity among even the most intelligent and hard-working people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding internal competition and backstabbing at the expense of mentorship and shared credit. It worked before J. Aron, and it could work again.

Processing

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great brand name to have on your resume
- Occasional exposure to complex finance

Cons- Facetime/perceptions oriented culture
- Work has been so streamlined it is mundane and requires little critical thinking
- Management prioritizes immediate cost saving over spending the money required to improve processes resulting in little/no progress towards improving efficiency
- Compensation has been consistently poor for several years
- Extremely high attrition among A1-3s is very discouraging as many go on to better opportunities elsewhere
- Poor work life balance
- SLC provides significantly fewer outlets for good nightlife and culture than other cities

Advice to Senior ManagementOrient the Operations Analyst position more towards process improvement and focus less on processing by providing your employees with adequate support and resources.

Company itself is great, management is horrible.

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

ProsSmart people who know how to work hard. You can learn a lot by just listening to client calls and the advice of coworkers on investing and running a business.

ConsNo work-life balance at all. Judged solely on work product and ability to be the first in the door and the last out. Management does not respect that employees are people with lives outside of the office, and lots of management is not 'trained' how to be a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany senior management is great. Local boston management is not.

Summer Intern

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

ProsGreat people and very organized company

ConsLong hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for

Good platform on paper, but structural issues with the role and company

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpens many doors in the future because of the name. Work with senior-level executives at some of the biggest and best firms

ConsNearly everyone leaves after 2 years to go to PE or a Hedge Fund, where they stay for 2 years and then apply to business school to get a more well-rounded business background. A better option would be to work in an incubator or start-up of someone you admire so you can forego the nonsense and get straight to the business and entrepreneurial background, if thats what you want. Clearly, there are the obvious terrible hours and the expectation that you have no life but Goldman, but thats a given and not really the worst part of it. Employees feel like Goldman owes them for their hard work, late hours, and average pay, so they take advantage of late night food and car service and travel benefits. Would be great if people actually loved their job, respected their bosses and their bosses involvment with their family or placing proper boundaries and working to maintain priorities. Instead, theres a fair amount of incest since so much time is spent in the office, and many family and relationship breakups because of the lack of balance and respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in mentorship program so you can better understand and retain junior talent. Random assignments with no accountability for mentor make its current form fairly unsuccessful.

Good Culture and Organization

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time

ProsI work in the SLC office. And, although there has been some historical discontent about the policies/attitudes of individual managers, I think the firm takes the time to reassert the message that gets communicated to employees. I can say that the company culture is very inclusive and open. The organization is as much of a meritocracy as you can get. Most people who produce good results are rewarded for it. You also feel very connected to the other offices around the world as global meetings are held via video conference to keep employees tuned in to what's going on.

ConsNot too many cons. Your bonus is unpredictable and is based on annual firm performance.

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs

ProsGood brand name on resume, learning opportunities, some great people. Despite the declining opportunities on the sell-side, GS is still a great place to start a career. On the whole, it seems to be more intelligently managed and aggressive in its capital allocation than other banks as well.

ConsMany people think they are smarter than they are (read - arrogant). Higher ups in the organization are only focused on the bottom line attributable to them/supporting their bonus, not necessarily moving people to the roles in which they will most benefit the company.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein. All 1,480 reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees.