Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Reviews in Jersey City, NJ

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein

Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm (in 166 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder (in 283 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for (in 356 reviews)

More Highlights
123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great summer

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsWide array of knowledgeable and approachable people.
    A lot of opportunities depending on the employees' interests.
    Huge network of talented professionals.

ConsDepending on the division, hours can get a little bit crazy.
    There is a lot of red tape in terms of external communication.

Good company to start with

New Associate Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsNetworks, people, team and learning

ConsTeams not clear with what they are looking for, old systems and culture

Overall an excellent company to work for

Senior Technology Analyst (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsThe best people. Mostly nice to work with, definitely smart. Firm reputation really affirmed by what they do.
    Decent pay, good benefits.

ConsVery long hours with not allot of work life balance. You need to work that out yourself though.
    At least in tech there isn't allot of recognition. A bit too much outsourcing going on right now too.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on cutting expenses and more on making the people you have do more with less in hard times. Motivating your good people will pay dividends when times improve and you don't struggle to find more people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Manager

Vice President - Technology (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsCompensation is among the best. It's not astronomically better as the other financial companies have wised up but is competitive and among the best for senior people.
    Benefits are good, with dr office and gym on site.
    Alot of talented and smart people working there. Their review process is for the most part pretty fair and balanced.

ConsAlot of type A personalities - very aggressive culture. Trust no one. In IT it's not too bad however there are people out there that like to get ahead by pushing you down. On the operations side, friends of mine have described it as an absolute nightmare.
    Too many meetings so real work behinds at 5pm, which is why the hours are long.
    You can't just be a smart developer, you have to make noise and be a marketer as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone has to be super loud and type A to be effective.

Vice president

Vice President (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsSalary above average, vacation 23 days per year

ConsHours. At least 60 hrs per week

Great company...if you can handle it

Analyst (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsLong hours
    Micro managers
    No such thing as a mistake

ConsSalary and benefits are top notch
    Lot of opportunities
    Discipline second only to military

Advice to Senior ManagementLong time ago, there was an interest in work life balance. BRING IT BACK! Make sure you teach this new generation of managers to value their team and not dog them.

Great place, smart people, leading edge IT, and encourages give-back to the community

Vice President (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsSmart friendly people (though sometimes opinionated and demanding), ranks on Fortune magazine's "100 Best Employers" since inception of the list, and encourages community give-back.

ConsBe prepared to work. A fair portion of your compensation is tied to the Wall Street economy, even if you are a super-star.

Middle Office Senior Bank Debt

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsClient Exposure, Visibility and overview of the entire process, heavy interaction with the trading desk, not very long hours in general

ConsOnly Long hours around month and quarter end overall nothing too bad

Decent

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsAggressive culture, importance to employees, bonus

Conswork load, competition and there is no time to pursue anything else.

Project Manager

Vice President - Project Manager (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat working environment
    constantly challenging
    Very motivated and smart co-workers
    Ability to participate in many community events and give back to the community
    great training available

ConsLong hours,difficult to have a good work/life balance there are now less people with the same or more work
    Very high expectations
    Comp is getting better, but for 2 years comp was cut

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to repair the company's reputation in the eyes of the non-financial services community

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!