Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Reviews in London, England

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein

Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm(in 165 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder(in 281 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for(in 355 reviews)

118 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Technology Work Placement

Work Placement - Technology (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsStructured career path
    Good name to have on your CV in this industry

ConsSalary less than similar roles at other banks
    Technology under appreciated as it is not 'revenue generating'

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIn house training is fantastic. The canteen, gym and medical centres in the building are top class. The people are all intelligent and driven meaning you are constantly challenged. Good options to move internally.

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to maintain. Down turn lay offs can be tough as with any investment bank.

Great place to work

Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsChallenging work, good pay and lots of growth opportunities

ConsNot great work life balance and have 12+ hour days are a norm with average being worse.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, but not every team is equally good to work with.

Summer Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAn exciting and fulfilling internship programme. Plenty of opportunities to learn, lots of training provided. Good working hours in Technology.

ConsNot all teams support their interns equally well. You can demonstrate drive, but without the support of your manager there's not much you can do over the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to train your team managers in people development. Some are only focused on results, which lower the morale.

fast learning experience

Technology Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat culture and great teamwork

Consno worklife balance; some bureacracy

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to employees

Securities Summer Internship

Securities Summer Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDynamic and lots of opportunities to shine if you know how to exploit them.

ConsPressure if you don't know what you're doing

The best corporate culture management, from my experience. Always feeling integrated and learning soft and hard skills.

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGoldman Sachs is amazing at integrating new people within the current employee base. They are great at easing you in the culture. It might seem like a "brainwash" initially but it is amazing to see how truly connected and commited to other's development is. You are always encouraged to network with others and it is always possible and highly appreciated. People truly make time to meet and get to know you and that helps when there are questions lateron. You always have someone to turn to. Training on the job through networking! Even after the job, I still keep in touch because I have developed a big sense of appreciation and connection for the company.

ConsHigh pressure environment and intense hours. You have to be truly passionate about the work itself (not really a con, but an important aspect to excell).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being involved with junior employees and interns. Unbelieveable but true, people in Management positions are incredibly available to connect with you.

Outstanding quality of people, amazing brand name

Associate (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExceptional quality of people, lots of opportunities within the company, good compensation, good career prospects after, great name on a CV, great networking

ConsThe main downside are the long hours and basically no life. Not a long term career for someone who is looking for a more balanced life. Great place to start a career though. Best to do it in early twenties.

Excellent quality of people

Business Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood pay
    Intelligent and pleasant people in my department

ConsMany sharks in other departments
    Lots of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the business and look after your best people.

It's not as good as it sounds, at least in Technology

Technology Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood benefits (private health insurance, good gym etc). Compensation is reasonable by industry standard.

Reputation: definitely looks good on your CV.

You meet very smart people, great place for networking.

ConsMassive workplace politics, you have to scream loud for visibility, seriously you need to scream for anything you have done, you are doing, or you haven't done but would like to do - as long as it makes you sound good. Some decent, but not loud enough people got laid off first. The performance evaluation is rather subjective, unlike what they told you, it's not linked to your compensation in most cases - people who scored high in their review could still get very little based on how much you're 'favoured' by the management.

Career development completely depends on your boss, and your boss' boss: if you have a supportive manager in career development and guides you about promotion do's and don'ts, it's great. Otherwise you have to fight for yourself. Worst of all, some managers would actually prefer keeping you working on the same stuff for years and stop you from moving to other teams.

You don't get to work with smart people all the time, there are a fair amount of incompetent people in the back office divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on productivity instead of politics.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!