Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein

Lloyd C. Blankfein

121 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Brilliant Opportunity

Spring Intern Securities (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs as an intern for less than a year

ProsSteep learning curve, collaborative environment

ConsHard work, only suitable for those who have a genuine passion for financial markets

Great place to work

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging work, good pay and lots of growth opportunities

ConsNot great work life balance and have 12+ hour days are a norm with average being worse.

Great, intense, steep learning curve

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorking with the smartest people in the industry - you can only get better. We played hard too!

ConsCan get very stressful and overwhelming but once you get the balance right, you would sail through smoothly

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a little more support for interns

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technology Work Placement

Work Placement - Technology (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern for more than a year

ProsStructured career path
Good name to have on your CV in this industry

ConsSalary less than similar roles at other banks
Technology under appreciated as it is not 'revenue generating'

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

not the firm it once was

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPlenty of smart people remaining; their proprietary technology is interesting

Consl left GS after working for 10+ years in their tech division. Here are a few reasons why :

Standards are slipping. In the past 5 years, many jobs such as DBAs and SAs have been off-shored to India to save money. Turnover in these locations is high and the quality of the staff is often lacking. lt's rare to find anyone in these roles who is skilled and takes a genuine interest in what they're doing.

The amount of regulation and red tape has reached absurd levels. A simple task such as getting a server rebooted becomes a bureaucratic nightmare, involving multiple levels of manager approval followed by repeated emails, phone calls and hours of waiting. Don't even think about downloading a cool piece of productivity software onto your PC. You'll first need to check whether the app has been approved for use at GS, then get your manager to sign off, and finally open a ticket to have it installed remotely. If your app isn't on the approved list, forget it.

By the way, India is never, ever referred to as a "low cost" location at GS - it's "high value", to use the correct GS-speak, To survive in the corporate hierarchy, you'll also need to learn how to "reach out" to somebody (= talk to them), to "revert" to an email (= reply), and how to "leverage" virtually any object (= use it), I know GS doesn't have a monopoly on this sort of double-speak, but I always find it faintly worrying to see how otherwise intelligent people parrot these tired phrases without a hint of irony or self awareness.

Perhaps the most-used buzzword in recent years is "industrialization" - as in replacing human jobs with software, Management claim that industrialization will free people from routine or boring jobs, allowing them to spend time in more creative activities (there's never been an attempt to automate any MD- or partner-level jobs, although those are probably the most amenable - wonder why ??)

It's difficult to criticize GS for wanting to cut costs, but it's dispiriting to think that your job in IT is essentially to put other people out of a job. Earlier in my career, GS was about using harnessing human intelligence to solve complicated business problems (and being paid well, because we were doing something that few others firms could). Increasingly we seem to be engaged in a race to the bottom, chasing ever-shrinking margins with as few overheads as possible, The relentless drive for efficiency makes for a pretty unappealing work environment - desks have been "densified" (another lovely GS-ism), office plants have been removed, and even the waste baskets have vanished.

Don't expect to be be particularly well paid. I guarantee that you will quickly become fed up of reading about the "average" GS bonus payout in the media, and then having to explain to friends and family that you're only paid a fraction of that amount. I used to be proud of the fact that I worked as GS, now I try to avoid mentioning the name,

The annual 360 reviews can also be pretty dispiriting. Over the years I've had reviews across the scale. Doing well seems largely to be a question of being in the right role and knowing the right people. Don't fall for the rhetoric about meritocracy - working hard and doing a good job is no guarantee of success. Personally i'd far rather the whole system were junked - I've had to deliver a few bad reviews in my time, and it's unpleasant and often utterly demotivating for the recipient.

Oh, and prepare for endless cheerleading about the benefits of diversity and multiculturalism. The training is mandatory, so no sense complaining. But the sad reality is that "diversity in the workplace" often translates into hiring candidates who simply wouldn't have made it through the door 10 years ago.

I loved my early years at GS, but I would not be tempted to re-join the firm today.

Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn house training is fantastic. The canteen, gym and medical centres in the building are top class. The people are all intelligent and driven meaning you are constantly challenged. Good options to move internally.

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to maintain. Down turn lay offs can be tough as with any investment bank.

Great company, but not every team is equally good to work with.

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern for less than a year

ProsAn exciting and fulfilling internship programme. Plenty of opportunities to learn, lots of training provided. Good working hours in Technology.

ConsNot all teams support their interns equally well. You can demonstrate drive, but without the support of your manager there's not much you can do over the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to train your team managers in people development. Some are only focused on results, which lower the morale.

fast learning experience

Technology Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat culture and great teamwork

Consno worklife balance; some bureacracy

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to employees

Securities Summer Internship

Securities Summer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs as an intern for less than a year

ProsDynamic and lots of opportunities to shine if you know how to exploit them.

ConsPressure if you don't know what you're doing

The best corporate culture management, from my experience. Always feeling integrated and learning soft and hard skills.

Summer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern for less than a year

ProsGoldman Sachs is amazing at integrating new people within the current employee base. They are great at easing you in the culture. It might seem like a "brainwash" initially but it is amazing to see how truly connected and commited to other's development is. You are always encouraged to network with others and it is always possible and highly appreciated. People truly make time to meet and get to know you and that helps when there are questions lateron. You always have someone to turn to. Training on the job through networking! Even after the job, I still keep in touch because I have developed a big sense of appreciation and connection for the company.

ConsHigh pressure environment and intense hours. You have to be truly passionate about the work itself (not really a con, but an important aspect to excell).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being involved with junior employees and interns. Unbelieveable but true, people in Management positions are incredibly available to connect with you.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs reviews and ratings in London, UK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees.