Goldman Sachs
3.7 of 5 1,591 reviews
www.goldmansachs.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Goldman Sachs Reviews

Pros:
  • "The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm"
    in 156 reviews
  • "You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder"
    in 258 reviews
  • "Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for"
    in 346 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging place to work, smart driven people, great if you can find the right place within the org.

Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsColleagues are motivated, can be relied on to go the extra mile.
    Smart people.
    Gold standard office environment, benefits, available training and so forth.

ConsIt's large, you have to work to find the right team to work within.

Amazing experience - need to do justice to this company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros*Very knowledgeble, professional, respectful employess and management, very positive environment
    *Ability to work from home when necessary and work-place flexibility - a must if you have a family
    *Good pay, in line with the market rate for similar roles. However, the media reports about several hundred thousand of compensation per employess are bloated. The numbers are severely skewed by taking into account a few higher-paying executives.
    * Tecnologies used are more up to date than in other large financial firms/investment banks (but I'm speaking about my dept only)
    *Ability to propose/share your own ideas (to certain extent, since I was a consultant)
    * The company *does* care about its reputation
    * I didn't not have any full-time perks as I was a consultant and still, I was very, very happy with the job.
    * In general, it was a very, very positive experience and I'd love to go back there either as a consultant or full-time if the company starts hiring back

ConsOne word: layoffs. There is good communication between management and employees about the possibility of upcoming layoffs, but this is still stressful for everyone, both employees and management. I guess it is stressfull for the company itself since they need to show the investors that they are cutting costs and cannot keep the good employees they would have otherwise have tried to keep.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet consultants use the gym (since you have to pay for it anyway!). When you sit at work all day long, and commute while sitting, it's not a luxury to exercise, it's a MUST. There are no public gyms in the vicinity of the office. I have developed back pain at some point because I was sitting at work all day long. Also, the inability to use the gym made me feel like a second-class employee (I was a consultant, but my duties were not really different from anyone else on the team).

Politically adept workforce and leadership with little people management skills despite rhetoric

Jersey City, NJ

ProsOrganization with deep pockets
    Competitive salary and benefits
    Smart people
    'Do good' initiatives benefit the disadvantaged, but are clearly self serving as well

ConsSuper political; need to always watch your back
    Recent influx of 'outsiders' a huge contrast to dedicated long-term employees
    Many 'managers' who only manage upward, not even sideways and certainly not downward
    360 review process is a sham and political tool
    Large established organization better at marketing itself than delivering what it promises

Advice to Senior ManagementReputation allure is enticing to those interested in mining 'gold' but GS is living off its past.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start with significant opportunity for growth depending on performance

Credit Risk Analyst (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe company has great benefits and a strong culture of unity and hard work. My position is highly analytical, but you might not get that as an operations employee. Your duties will depend completely on what teams are available when you start if you are in the operations division.

ConsThe culture and tasks of the individual team you are placed on in Salt Lake will determine more about your overall experience than anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatch employees up with duties that align with their strengths rather than what might be open at the time. Promotions are merit based, but some activities go unnoticed.

Learning curve from start to finish

Vice President - Operations (Former Employee)

ProsPeople, Opportunities, Learning, Compensation, Challenges

ConsNot enough time. Thin staff, late meeting start times...

Advice to Senior ManagementStart meetings on time... no need for the "Goldman 15" nearly every meeting started 15 minutes late... really the only unproductive time during the day.

Mediocre

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe prestigious name is a great reason.

ConsThey work you like a dog and then throw you away.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore competence at senior levels would be nice.

My experience was demanding, but you have to expect it.

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsSteep learning curve
    Work hard, play hard
    Let me work on models to round out my summer experience
    Team always available to answer questions

ConsLong hours
    HR was difficult when I tried to move internally
    Firm is currently cutting expenses
    Very volatile in terms of headcount

Advice to Senior ManagementGS is looking at its investment management division as its future revenue leader. It should instead retain its focus on investment banking advisory and sales & trading.

A good place to start a career.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsI feel like I have support in developing and implementing new ideas. The people I work with are fantastic. There are also many opportunities to learn new things

ConsThe hours can be long sometimes, and it can be stressful. Sometimes the work involves manual processes that can seem tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to make the workday a little shorter. Also find a way to make team performance more transparent

Hardworking smart people

Vice President - Technology (Former Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

ProsVery collaborative work culture. Tremendous focus on career growth - in fact improving yourself is not something they help you with - it is something you are _required_ to do otherwise you will be in the "bottom" for consideration when every year 5% of the worst performers are let go.
    Work from home is supported where it makes sense.

ConsTechnology hours are not as bad as banking hours, but still on average 10 to 12 hours a day (plus some other emergency every few days)
    The company used to be flatter 10 years ago, now there is more middle management.

Excellent Place To Work with Great Coworkers and Managers

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Culture
    Teamwork
    Management is very kind
    Reputation of company
    Ability to move around
    State of the art facilties

ConsThe work is repetitive, boring, and not challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementNo adivice to management since they can't do anything about the level of difficulty of the work.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees.