Goldman Sachs Reviews

3.6

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein
Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm (in 166 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder (in 283 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for (in 356 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging place to work, smart driven people, great if you can find the right place within the org.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Colleagues are motivated, can be relied on to go the extra mile.
    Smart people.
    Gold standard office environment, benefits, available training and so forth.

Cons

It's large, you have to work to find the right team to work within.

Politically adept workforce and leadership with little people management skills despite rhetoric

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Organization with deep pockets
    Competitive salary and benefits
    Smart people
    'Do good' initiatives benefit the disadvantaged, but are clearly self serving as well

Cons

Super political; need to always watch your back
    Recent influx of 'outsiders' a huge contrast to dedicated long-term employees
    Many 'managers' who only manage upward, not even sideways and certainly not downward
    360 review process is a sham and political tool
    Large established organization better at marketing itself than delivering what it promises

Reputation allure is enticing to those interested in mining 'gold' but GS is living off its past.

Learning curve from start to finish

Former Employee - Vice President - Operations  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Vice President - Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

People, Opportunities, Learning, Compensation, Challenges

Cons

Not enough time. Thin staff, late meeting start times...

Start meetings on time... no need for the "Goldman 15" nearly every meeting started 15 minutes late... really the only unproductive time during the day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing experience - need to do justice to this company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

*Very knowledgeble, professional, respectful employess and management, very positive environment
    *Ability to work from home when necessary and work-place flexibility - a must if you have a family
    *Good pay, in line with the market rate for similar roles. However, the media reports about several hundred thousand of compensation per employess are bloated. The numbers are severely skewed by taking into account a few higher-paying executives.
    * Tecnologies used are more up to date than in other large financial firms/investment banks (but I'm speaking about my dept only)
    *Ability to propose/share your own ideas (to certain extent, since I was a consultant)
    * The company *does* care about its reputation
    * I didn't not have any full-time perks as I was a consultant and still, I was very, very happy with the job.
    * In general, it was a very, very positive experience and I'd love to go back there either as a consultant or full-time if the company starts hiring back

Cons

One word: layoffs. There is good communication between management and employees about the possibility of upcoming layoffs, but this is still stressful for everyone, both employees and management. I guess it is stressfull for the company itself since they need to show the investors that they are cutting costs and cannot keep the good employees they would have otherwise have tried to keep.

Let consultants use the gym (since you have to pay for it anyway!). When you sit at work all day long, and commute while sitting, it's not a luxury to exercise, it's a MUST. There are no public gyms in the vicinity of the office. I have developed back pain at some point because I was sitting at work all day long. Also, the inability to use the gym made me feel like a second-class employee (I was a consultant, but my duties were not really different from anyone else on the team).

A good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

I feel like I have support in developing and implementing new ideas. The people I work with are fantastic. There are also many opportunities to learn new things

Cons

The hours can be long sometimes, and it can be stressful. Sometimes the work involves manual processes that can seem tedious.

Find a way to make the workday a little shorter. Also find a way to make team performance more transparent

Great place to start with significant opportunity for growth depending on performance

Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The company has great benefits and a strong culture of unity and hard work. My position is highly analytical, but you might not get that as an operations employee. Your duties will depend completely on what teams are available when you start if you are in the operations division.

Cons

The culture and tasks of the individual team you are placed on in Salt Lake will determine more about your overall experience than anything else.

Match employees up with duties that align with their strengths rather than what might be open at the time. Promotions are merit based, but some activities go unnoticed.

Type A Paradise

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The culture of efficiency, hard work, and drive are incredible. It remains pretty professional at all times, though the brilliant people you work with make up for the all-work mentality

Cons

-Hard work/life balance: depending on your division, there's pressure to stay late, though it's often for good reason
    -Getting fired is always a surprise to everyone--lack of transparency
    -Runs lean, but sometimes TOO lean

This is a great place to work if you fit the corporate, type-A culture. There's room for career growth and experience.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The prestigious name is a great reason.

Cons

They work you like a dog and then throw you away.

More competence at senior levels would be nice.

good company overall, but group by group could be different

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

professional. smart people. work hard

Cons

politics. at least my manager is terrible - doesn't give you career advice, treats you as a working machine

Be prepared to work, even as an intern

Former Employee - Summer Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

- Compensation
    - Responsibility given to each employee
    - Great training
    - Perks (free dinner after 8 PM, free car after 10 PM)
    - Prestige of having the firm on your resume

Cons

- The hours - even in the Operations division (where I interned), there is virtually no work/life balance
    - Too much time is spent focused on tiny details that don't matter very much or at all
    - Too much time spent in meetings which have nothing to do with your job
    - HCM doesn't do things when they promise they will
    - As is the case with any job, some managers (like the one I had) can be quite difficult to deal with

Promote a better work/life balance and revamp some aspects of the firm's culture. Also, provide better training to managers so they can be more effective.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!