Goldman Sachs Reviews

3.8

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein
Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm (in 180 reviews)

• People are smart (no one can be lazy, people always challenge you, you learn a lot) but humble (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder (in 317 reviews)

• Expect to work long hours (even though management says office "face time" is not important (in 388 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to start a career

Current Employee - Analyst Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The firm provides very diversified training classes, and I really improve both my hard skills and soft skills a lot here. It's a great place for young people to start a career, although there's no job security unless you have a really good personal relationship with your boss.

Cons

I used to commute 3 hours every day, considering I work more than 12 hours everyday, i have no personal life during weekday, and I got too tired to go out during the weekend.

I hope senior management could communicate with employees better, we prefer to know what happen to the firm from you rather than from google news.

Money machine, and nothing else

Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

They pay really well. If you want to make lots of money quickly before running off to Grad School, then GS is where you want to be!

Cons

You have to almost change your personality to fit in to there culture, dress like they dress, talk like they talk, watch the same TV shows, it's like they wnat everyone to have a single personality. And everyone is way to uptight.

Encourage a flat hierarchal structure. Current structure is too "todomplish"

Great place if you really like this line of work, if not its really boring.

Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Prestige, good benefits, the hours weren't too bad. Other than that, its not too exciting.

Cons

Utah sucks, the work was repetetive, boring, the people were really nice but weren't the most exciting to work with.

They are good are what they do, good leaders. Fair in the ways they manage workers, treats everyone with respect. Lets everyone give their ideas and implement projects.

Great firm and culture, one of a kind

Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The best people in the business. If you look hard enough, you will find very good mentors who will help in your career growth. Being around reall good people, pushes you to perform and excel. I worked in GSAM (Goldman Sachs Asset Management) where the culture is a bit different than the rest of the firm. Nonetheless, the overal theme of teamwork is the same across the board.

Cons

Work and life balance is touted but never sufficiently encouraged. Politics and lack of transparency tends to shroud decision making. GSAM is particularly lacking in these respects. While the overall culture of the firm is the same, there are glaring deficiencies in GSAM.

A more transparent culture, more emphasis on honest feedback.

Great company focused on its people, culture, and high-expectations to succeed

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Great people, incredible amount of knowledge in this company. Senior management is willing to help analysts out with no. Culture is very teamwork oriented and focused on diversity. I worked with people from all backgrounds and was hard pressed to find someone who wasn't unique. They really want you to work beyond expectations and deliver 110% on everything; the quintessential driving force of Goldman Sachs. Typically, every employee is respectful of the competition and rarely, if ever, downplays the rival banks. Also, employees are required to participate in community teamwork projects. These helped build relationships with co-workers and showed the company has a general interest in giving back.

Cons

There are a few people who are quite condescending when you require information from them. Sometimes it makes the job harder to do and the goal of success tough to reach. Also, the name often goes to people's heads and they exude somewhat of an ego.

Make it a point to know your employees. I was on a team that was lead by a boss who knew about our group personally and it definitely improved performance/moral. Take time to ask about employees weekends, lives, etc. It really makes a difference and makes for a comfortable environment!

GS!!!!!

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

There are a lot of smart people who work there, you are constantly pushed to find the best in you. Also there is a lot of emphasis on generating revenue. Very meritocratic (within divisions)
    Very competitive compensation
    If you re very hard working and commercial there is much room for advancement. For sales and trading there are a lot of firm resources to "leverage"

Cons

Not much respect outsidde of sales and trading.
    Very difficult for qualified people to move into S&T from other areas. I don't think that the downsides are any different to anywhere else. Basically when you go there be sure that you will like your group and job function, cause it's unlikely you'll be moving.

Try and see where your employees can fit best!

Good place to work, but for a Technology employee, there's a limit to how "good" it can be.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Despite the turmoil in the current market, if you want to work in a large financial house, Goldman Sachs is the place to be. There's a lot of clear opportunity for career advancement within the firm, and long-term outlook is still good if you can make it through the current economic crisis with your job intact.

Cons

My downsides are focused on the fact that I work in Technology; I consider myself to be a pretty good developer, and I just don't think I can reach my potential in terms of self-development and also prestige amongst peers working in a non-revenue generating role at a bank.

Again, geared more for Technology management, I would suggest actively reminding your people of the ways they contribute to the firm, with specific examples so that people really feel that they're making a difference.

Great experience

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Wide range of experience, compensation.

Cons

Hours, lack of free time, inability to have a life outside of work.

If there is higher than normal turnover in a group, check out why and correct it.

It is a privilege to work at Goldman. Love or hate it.

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

I honestly think that people should pay to work at Goldman as an intern.
    I would If I was able to. The amount of knowledge that flows through those offices is comparable to nothing else I have seen. Sharp people, with sharp pay, constantly coming up with way of improving efficiency and ways to make money.
    The pay is great, they recognize people right away for their talents and immediately put them to work in what they do best. They are constantly offering training to their employees in almost about any topic you may choose. Even as a temp you are offered great opportunities. I was offered an Analyst job after a year of working in administrative jobs regardless of the fact that I did not have a Yale or Harvard degree, which by the way is the only thing they hire. It was an honor for me to be offered such an opportunity after seeing recently graduated aplicants (from those universities) go through a process of 20 interviews and still not get hired for one reason or other.
    Working at Goldman gives you an incredible understanding of economic and political issues and I could almost say that it changes forever the way you look at the world.

Cons

They are not flexible at all when it comes to family and work balance. they demand 90% of your time and soul.
    It is very difficult to adapt to any other working environment after working at Goldman, that may be why so many people leave Goldman only to create their own business.
    They are not very tolerant of mistakes, it is a high stress environment, depending on the position. Senior managers can be a little crazy at times and treat employees very disrespectfully, but only if they make a few hundred million dollars for the firm...

Keep doing whatever you are doing.

Make a great company even better!

Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The talented people, competitive compensation, and much opportunity for individual career advancement. One of the key business principles at Goldman Sachs is that capital, talent, and reputation are the main assets of the firm. Reputation, however, is the most important and guarded extremely carefully. This makes the people of Goldman Sachs, especially, senior management act with utmost integrity. When most people in Wall Street are short-term greedy, GS is long-term greedy.

Cons

The long hours, perhaps, but long hours are norm in investment banking. Not sure if it really enhances productivity, but perhaps bankers and traders are obsessed with their work.

Make a great company even better!