Goldman Sachs Reviews

1. Great firm and culture, one of a kind

Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The best people in the business. If you look hard enough, you will find very good mentors who will help in your career growth. Being around reall good people, pushes you to perform and excel. I worked in GSAM (Goldman Sachs Asset Management) where the culture is a bit different than the rest of the firm. Nonetheless, the overal theme of teamwork is the same across the board.

Cons

Work and life balance is touted but never sufficiently encouraged. Politics and lack of transparency tends to shroud decision making. GSAM is particularly lacking in these respects. While the overall culture of the firm is the same, there are glaring deficiencies in GSAM.

Advice to Management

A more transparent culture, more emphasis on honest feedback.

Money machine, and nothing else

Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

They pay really well. If you want to make lots of money quickly before running off to Grad School, then GS is where you want to be!

Cons

You have to almost change your personality to fit in to there culture, dress like they dress, talk like they talk, watch the same TV shows, it's like they wnat everyone to have a single personality. And everyone is way to uptight.

Advice to Management

Encourage a flat hierarchal structure. Current structure is too "todomplish"

3. Great place if you really like this line of work, if not its really boring.

Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Prestige, good benefits, the hours weren't too bad. Other than that, its not too exciting.

Cons

Utah sucks, the work was repetetive, boring, the people were really nice but weren't the most exciting to work with.

Advice to Management

They are good are what they do, good leaders. Fair in the ways they manage workers, treats everyone with respect. Lets everyone give their ideas and implement projects.

5. GS!!!!!

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

There are a lot of smart people who work there, you are constantly pushed to find the best in you. Also there is a lot of emphasis on generating revenue. Very meritocratic (within divisions) Very competitive compensation If you re very hard working and commercial there is much room for advancement. For sales and trading there are a lot of firm resources to "leverage"

Cons

Not much respect outsidde of sales and trading. Very difficult for qualified people to move into S&T from other areas. I don't think that the downsides are any different to anywhere else. Basically when you go there be sure that you will like your group and job function, cause it's unlikely you'll be moving.

Advice to Management

Try and see where your employees can fit best!

6. Good place to work, but for a Technology employee, there's a limit to how "good" it can be.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Despite the turmoil in the current market, if you want to work in a large financial house, Goldman Sachs is the place to be. There's a lot of clear opportunity for career advancement within the firm, and long-term outlook is still good if you can make it through the current economic crisis with your job intact.

Cons

My downsides are focused on the fact that I work in Technology; I consider myself to be a pretty good developer, and I just don't think I can reach my potential in terms of self-development and also prestige amongst peers working in a non-revenue generating role at a bank.

Advice to Management

Again, geared more for Technology management, I would suggest actively reminding your people of the ways they contribute to the firm, with specific examples so that people really feel that they're making a difference.

Great company focused on its people, culture, and high-expectations to succeed

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Great people, incredible amount of knowledge in this company. Senior management is willing to help analysts out with no. Culture is very teamwork oriented and focused on diversity. I worked with people from all backgrounds and was hard pressed to find someone who wasn't unique. They really want you to work beyond expectations and deliver 110% on everything; the quintessential driving force of Goldman Sachs. Typically, every employee is respectful of the competition and rarely, if ever, downplays the rival banks. Also, employees are required to participate in community teamwork projects. These helped build relationships with co-workers and showed the company has a general interest in giving back.

Cons

There are a few people who are quite condescending when you require information from them. Sometimes it makes the job harder to do and the goal of success tough to reach. Also, the name often goes to people's heads and they exude somewhat of an ego.

Advice to Management

Make it a point to know your employees. I was on a team that was lead by a boss who knew about our group personally and it definitely improved performance/moral. Take time to ask about employees weekends, lives, etc. It really makes a difference and makes for a comfortable environment!

Make a great company even better!

Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The talented people, competitive compensation, and much opportunity for individual career advancement. One of the key business principles at Goldman Sachs is that capital, talent, and reputation are the main assets of the firm. Reputation, however, is the most important and guarded extremely carefully. This makes the people of Goldman Sachs, especially, senior management act with utmost integrity. When most people in Wall Street are short-term greedy, GS is long-term greedy.

Cons

The long hours, perhaps, but long hours are norm in investment banking. Not sure if it really enhances productivity, but perhaps bankers and traders are obsessed with their work.

Advice to Management

Make a great company even better!

9. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Diverse firm, with lots of opportunities available to you. Overall high level of competency, as compared to competitors, from entry level to upper management. Extremely devoted and loyal staff, who are truly interested in helping the firm as a whole, and in working together efficiently and effectively. Pros -Overall recognition (by peers, family, other employers) that you work for one of the top companies in the world -Best benefits package I've ever received -Excellent coworkers that share a strong desire to succeed. You will be challenged at GS, but will be seen and appropriately rewarded for your efforts by senior management -Strong ability for promotion and growth based on your performance -Ongoing training programs are great, they also offer tuition reimbursement -Chance to work with many divisions, even internationally

Cons

Cons It can be difficult to move around cross-divisionally, depending on where you are coming from. They have a formal internal mobility process established, but largely due to the caliber of people they have, and the caliber of people they attract, it can take very long to more yourself to a position you want to be in, if it happens at all. Also: -Long hours, which is to be expected at a large investment bank -Takes longer to have ideas implemented as they are a large company with many moving parts -Can take a while to learn the various divisions, to see where you fit in and where you want to go next

Advice to Management

Please continue to hire the best and the brightest. This was an excellent firm to work for, I highly recommend it to others.

10. The caliber of people GS hires is simply unmatched anywhere else

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The talent Goldman attracts is world-class. I have yet to work with a brighter group of people.

Cons

Long hours; expects commitment beyond anywhere else I've ever worked

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement...

Great company to work for, consistently attracts top talent!

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL