Goldman Sachs Reviews

1,281 Employee Reviews

1. Brainy and diverse workforce

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart, very diverse, mostly very cooperative, and friendly co-workers. Interesting and challenging work. Fairly easy to transfer laterally to a completely different (and --of course -- utterly challenging) position within the firm.

Cons

Working on legacy software and database technology. Work/home balance quite skewed toward work. Occasional bureaucratic labyrinthian maze to negotiate to get needed entitlement to do your job.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring those brilliant, diverse, and motivated employees.

Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive environment - stimulating, smart employees. Culture that is conducive to learning, and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Horrible work life balance, but everyone knows that when they sign up. Don't take a job here unless you understand how long the hours are going to be.

Advice to Management

I don't think they are going to be able to change the attrition that happens to the banking analysts. Its is a great system to learn under but the lifestyle isn't sustainable after for more than 2 years.

3. You can have a great career, if you like to work ALOT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great career path if you are motivated. Pay is okay depending on the year. Some management is very good and listens to their employees. If you want lots of new opportunity, it is yours, you just have to ask. If you want a career in the investment banking industry, this is the place. You just have to remember, just because the office is in SLC it doesn't mean less effort or time in the office. In fact, I would say it is more. Also, if you are having problems in your life, they will really help you out, but you have to ask them. If you are having personal issues, they will literally bend over backwards to help you. I knew a guy who got in a terrible accident while on vacation in Mexico and had to be life flighted to the US. Needless to say it was an expensive trip. GS took care of the whole thing. He didn't have to do anything.
    Also their maternity leave is KILLER. No one can touch it (4 months FULL Pay).

Cons

Terrible work life balance. I literally worked minimum 50 hours a week for almost 8 years (on slow weeks). And I was not even vice president (didn't want it, could not devote any more time). Also, there are some really awful managers that they keep around even though they violate company policies (favoritism). They really will just work you to death or a heart attack (or divorce) if you let them. It is all about face time (at least in my division). They would say it wasn't, but if you left "early" (less than 50 hours) people (and managers) would make comments, even if you were AWESOME and super efficient at your job. They didn't care. It was like a contest who could stay the longest, and even then that wasn't good enough.

Advice to Management

Don't focus on hours worked, focus on productivity. Lead by example.

5. Technology analyst

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Great work culture.
    Offers multiple benefits

Cons

Stressful hours, average salary
    Technology lagging some places

Operations Associate

Former Employee - Associate in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Associate in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive work environment, expectations are high for all employees to turn out solid work.

Cons

Politics are cut throat. Can be demoralizing to the new hires.

7. Services

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company, flexibility of working environment, they are very influential in most industries and are great to have on a resume

Cons

Most of the employees expect the consultant to do all of the work. There is a sense of entitlement that is unwarranted for what they bring to the table. Many of the employees spend most of their time on the internet.

Advice to Management

You earn respect through being a strong contributor and leading by example. NOT because you went to an Ivy League school or because Mommy and Daddy know someone.

8. Good Start

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great network, team spirit, recognizable name, global brand, wealth of resources, many out of work activities, possibility of living in the heart of many cities

Cons

very demanding, long hours, somewhat bureaucratic and political, very strong culture that sometimes stifles creativity, your simply a metric in a gigantic system, some employees might be really hard to work with

no career development

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company, offers a variety of events and activities, free GSU classes that covers a diversity of topics

Cons

a lot of the pros I mentioned above is not related to my job.Yes that is correct, I feel that the managers here, especially mine, have meticulous micromanagement style. No network encouraged, even though they say "oh I am not stopping you to do so", but they start to exclude you on projects that are interesting and important. Slow career growth, very defined job responsibilities. Spend 50% of my time dealing with issues due to system disconnection. Wanted to improve it but was told not a high priority and "it would take you 5 min of your time, when it might take 70 hours per week for Tech team to work on it". Manager like to make personal calls on the job all the time.

People here work with low efficiency and perception is everything, meaning they would browse the internet a lot when there is no work to do, and like to send out delayed message to show that they work late.

oh, btw, you cannot take lunch break.

Very disappointed.

10. Solid Employer

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Maternity, Fertility benefits
    Exposure to top talent

Cons

Bonuses out of sync with work-life balance
    Lack of transparency
    Inability to quickly address poor performers

11. G.S. is one of the greats for a reason

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time

Pros

The workplace is beautiful; the workers are talented, like-minded, and fantastic to work with, and the pay is beyond great.

Cons

A lot of time is spent working; work can be stressful, and your salary is likely to fluctuate.

Advice to Management

Please, change nothing. You have created one of the best places to work on the planet, and you blow all other investment firms out of the water.

Showing 1,281 of 2,211 reviews