Goldman Sachs Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein
Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm (in 166 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder (in 283 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for (in 356 reviews)

More Highlights

Great teamwork environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

- great teamwork -- no us and them
    - great culture
    - great opportunities to take significant levels of responsibility
    - control over your own career

Cons

- long hours, though flexible
    - complexity of organisation means that decision making can take longer than people often expect
    - "getting" the culture is necessary for success

- continue to communicate, communicate communicate , and over-communicate
    - otherwise great job in steering the ship through very difficult times

Intense but amazing learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

-Smart colleagues
    -High caliber of work expected

Cons

-Sometime too competitive rather than collaborative.

Make the environment more team-oriented and don't just pay lip service to the collaborative atmosphere.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President Technology  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Open environement, few boundaries between management layers

Cons

High expectations, can lead to long hours

Incease transparency on vision

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard working culture but less team building and morale building activities

Current Employee - Vice President Technology  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Objective evaluation of individual efforts . . .
    Hard working and smart people around you . . .
    Good pay and benefits

Cons

People are less important in most teams than the goals which is not sustainable in long term ... . . .

Pay more attention to building people relations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You are in control of your career

Current Employee - Analyst/Developer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst/Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

You are in control of your career - I think the phrase above comes from some HR brochure, but it's largely true at Goldman. Your promotions (and to a large extent your compensation) are based almost entirely on your performance, not some set schedule or years of experience. Those who have excellent performance are promoted rapidly and their compensation increases far beyond what an average salary might be in the this field. Those whose performance is poor or average are asked to leave the firm, so you are always left working with only the best people.

The technology organization is surprisingly agile and people can quickly move between projects as business priorities change. There is very little tolerance for wasteful work or projects that do not serve a clear business purpose. There are 3 general job roles people can perform in technology at GS based on their skills and interests, with a focus on business analysis at one and of the spectrum and focus on tech infrastructure at the other end. Putting people in these roles creates people who are highly skilled experts in a specific area and reduces the number of inefficient "jacks of all trades".

Cons

There are some day-to-day politics which reduce the efficiency of the organization, but to a much smaller extent than at other firms. Some people don't like the amount of work or the long hours, but I feel they might just be working for the wrong firm.

Work-life balance is overrated. Let people who want to work long hours work long hours. Let people who want to leave early leave early. We do it because we enjoy the work, and working harder and longer translates into better service for our clients and the firm. And there is nothing wrong with rewarding people who work harder vs. those who do not.

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Hard to find a better employer in SLC, UT. Great culture, exceptional benefits, excellent reputation.

Cons

Work in SLC is sometimes more operational/procedural, definitely not a terribly interesting longer term proposition.

NA

Great Internship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

access to senior management, tons of mentorship and support

Cons

Lack of structure, long hours and challanging but a lot to learn and do every day

Keep up the good work

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Vice President Technology  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Only the best of the best survive, you will always need to be at the top of your game if you want to advance. Your destiny is in your own hands, no one will silence a top player, set goals and acheive, no room for "fakers". It like having a pro football carreer, you need to be in top shape physically and metally.

Cons

Life work balance is what you make it, however you need to be careful not to cross the line and appear to be taking advantage. If so, it will be noticed and you wont be in the right place at the right time. Very competative, can be a pro or con, depending on your drive.

Keep up the great work, you have a good thing here, just remember to look at all levels, there are some shining stars in the ranks, mentor, polish them and they will help you suceed.

Greatest place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Even though I was laid off, I will always be grateful for the experience of working at Goldman. I was afforded the opportunity to interact with some of the most intelligent yet down to earth people. The oportunities for learning and being exposed to different layers of management was always a plus. Intentional effort was placed on making sure that mentoring was in place. The name recognition is worth its weight in gold. Because Goldman is known for employing the best talent, being accepted as an authority in your respective field of expertise is almost a given. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Cons

Unless you were willing to relocate, there were not enough advancement opportunities. A more streamlined approach to cultural integration is needed.

Stay the course. Its not easy being at the top; of course you know this already. Those who didn't make the same choices you did, can't be angry that you now reap the benefits of making more sound education, social and career choices. Why should a company make billions of dollars and not compensate management compensurate with earnings. You treat your employees fairly and that is what your responsibility is; not to right the woes of the nation's economy.

Great place for a workaholic

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Stellar people. Smart, passionate and at times fun. Absolutely everyone is driven to succeed and this creates a challenging but also rewarding atmosphere

Cons

If you can't endure very very long hours and extremely aggressive schedules, consider looking elsewhere. Difficult to establish genuine friendships.

Work/Life balance is talked about but certainly not a priority for the leadership of the firm. In technology space there is plenty of room to grow and experiment.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!