Goldman Sachs

1,923 Reviews

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein
Lloyd C. Blankfein
1,248 Ratings

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm (in 185 reviews)

• People are smart (no one can be lazy, people always challenge you, you learn a lot) but humble (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder (in 323 reviews)

• Expect to work long hours (even though management says office "face time" is not important (in 398 reviews)

More Highlights

Operations = Back Office

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Brand name
    Exit opportunities once you have GS on your resume.

Cons

Unless you are tied to revenue, not worth it.
    Pretty much grunt work so front office can focus on important work.

Operations is miserable work. Just call it like it is. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig by constantly claiming how wonderful back office is.

Decent

Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

It was good money. It was also close to my home which made the commute convenient. The work environment is very nice and the people are generally nice too.

Cons

Very stressful. The job can sometimes drain your energy and you'd get home in a not so cheerful mood.

Different group, different culture, different experience

Former Employee - Senior Technology Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You generally work with smart, accountable coworkers.

Cons

Totally different experience from different groups/departments. The culture in NYC is far better than one in NJ, however at the time flexible work hour and wfh was not a normal practice then, I probably will enjoy working there longer if I started in NYC, work life balance is an issue especially when one has to commute to office every day.
    Compensation was worst in the worst 2 years I worked there.

Poor work life balance and underwhelming bonuses. Not worth it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with smart people
    Collaborative environment

Cons

Performance forced ranking system
    Work life balance

Improve your performance management model.

Formerly generous firm, now highly focussed on cost management

Current Employee - Equities Strats in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Equities Strats in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

GS knows your resume gets solidified by working here, so they always underpay unless you are rated top 25% and tagged as a high performer (hi-po).
    The review process in equities is all about gaming the system. As long as you are super close to your boss, you will be in top 25% . Hi-performance tag requires advanced rear-kissing skills + talent (sans talent you are out of luck anyway)
    Other 25% - you will feel unhappy but why would they pay mediocre employees?

This pay philosophy is great if you are a shareholder :)

Cons

Level of competition in equities is ridiculous.
    Amazingly smart co-workers
    Always feel like you are the stupidest person in the room. Thats what working for the best I-Bank will do. Great for when you are ready to leave for a smaller shop.

Doing just fine, I think as a shareholder I like what they are doing. As an employee, less so but I get it.

Pretty average

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The management lets you to meet high level people and are very helpful in making your project a success.

Cons

There is not much work to do for a tech graduate in the bank.

Rewarding but below expectation

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Good place to learn something

Cons

Red tapes
    Different teams have different ambitions

working at Goldman Sachs

Former Employee - Team Leader in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

working with leading edge clients and working with highly motivated co-workers. Emphasis on using technology for system enhancements and improvements.

Cons

forget about highly touted work/life balance. Must be willing and eager to find ways to make improvements and demonstrate the highest regard for the all giving process. Find ways to stand out in a very competitive culture.

promote from within groups

Operations Summer Analyst

Former Employee - PWM Operations Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - PWM Operations Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Prestige and pumps up your resume. I got all my interviews with other companies mostly because Goldman was in my resume.

Trust me, rejecting the offer was the best thing i could have done. Not having a job is scary but Goldman helped me land a top tier job. You can greatly leverage this internship experience with any company.

Cons

Operations requires no skill and is absolutely unrewarding. You will write e-mails and create projects for internal use, no revenue generating. Higher management is unimpressive and I cant see anyone in the office being able making a sale, close a deal, or analyze financial data.

Don't be fooled, Goldman people are impressive and sharp in IB, Sales, Research, and several other divisions, but being in Operations is like if you were working for an entirely different company.

Of course there are smart people in there, but i will bet a million bucks that if you gave them the chance to go back in time, most of them would have not taken the offer and would be better of somewhere else. Don't be scared to reject the offer, but if you accept it make sure you understand what you are going into.

Great job for anyone that comes from a low-tier school, they recruit from great schools and from very weak ones. If your school has a name or is prestigious I wouldn't take the full time offer, leverage it.

You are and will be a secretary for the business side if you stay in operations, that's the ugly truth.

DO internal mobility, that's the best shot at another division.

My managers were great but some others need to be better leaders. Be impressive!!!, I was very unimpressed by the personalities I encountered.

Changing culture, pay nothing special, high expectations

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay can be great, if you are a top trader or investment banker, or already senior management. Many people are smart and ambitious. High performance is often recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Upper management is cutting pay for nearly all roles, due to market competition, the large number of staff now in Bangalore, and regulatory pressure. Expectations of hours worked and productivity remain high as ever.

Please shrink the company and take us back to a time when everyone was too busy making money to play politics.