Goldman Sachs Reviews

3.8

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein
Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm (in 166 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder (in 283 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for (in 356 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for, but be prepared to work hard

Current Employee - Analyst Developer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Amazing work culture. The harder you work, the more you grow. Working with only smart people.

Cons

Very competitive, have to work extremely hard to exceed expectations.

In IT, they must form people's career as opposed to only look at projects.

GS: Looks Great on a Resume but the life/culture is not for everyone.

Current Employee - Tax Associate - HFS  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Associate - HFS in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The reputation and the money. Looks very good on a resume. I felt the compensation was higher than other firms were offering to their back office support staff at the time that I worked there. The benefits package was extremely sufficient and you were also given access to GS's PWM platform and had access to all GS Research for HNW's and Institutional Clients.

Cons

If you are in a back office position (i.e. OTFS) it is very difficult to transition to a front office capacity (i.e. IB, IM, S&T). I am sure it is obvious that I wanted to transfer and was not able, but I am not posting a negative review because I am bitter, I am simply doing this so that other who have the idea that they can get into GS through a "back door" and transfer to a front office job are not diluted. I had many friends who attempted us GS's internal job posting to get a position and all were rebuffed.

Increase access to front office jobs for all employees.

a crushing work environment often dominated by arrogant and pushy co-workers who are very confident of their abilities

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Good learning experience. Fast-paced environment that challenges most.

Cons

Dealing with overly inflated egos and arrogant people. Excessive pressure to perform and work long hours, weekends and be accessible any time a manager needs you. Without regard for personal life, family life or other demands.

improve work life balance. listen more.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oppressive work environment

Current Employee - Analyst Developer  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst Developer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Its name is great, the quality of the people is extremely high: as good as it gets.

Cons

Oppressive environment, over-confident employees, too much stress. It is also annoying to constantly hear the constant self praise that goldman gives.

Stop the hundreds of emails that are sent every day! This is quite unbearable and results in important emails being ignored.

great place to work...but beware of certain managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

the people - employees. very helpful in the training

Cons

management wasn't always fair with work and raises. seemed to favor their 'friends' more than the way people worked

look at how people work instead of who they are. they may be related to you in a way, whether it be family, or a friend of the family. that does not give you the right to promote them over someone who has been there for years and has done a great job on the job

Nice place to work on the Street

Current Employee - Analyst Developer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

There are a lot of Smart people working at Goldman Sachs. There is a lot of co-operation across team and I haven't seen that at similar sized organizations. At Goldman's size things move around fast.They pay quite good relative to others in the industry.

Cons

Long hours can be a issue but it totally depends on which group you belong to. There is a general impression that hours at GS are pretty long which is true if you wanna paint the whole place with a single brush stroke. They are a little late in adopting new technology

Always keep the quality of people being hired very high as thats what makes it a good place to work.

Great Internship experience, take at first offer.

Current Employee - Summer Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Summer Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Goldman Sachs is by far the most successful investment bank on wall street. While every other company was cutting back ranks and barely hiring, Goldman barely flitched. While this is not a record breaking year by any accounr, Goldman did set a record breaker in comparison to its competitors. Thus, if I could only give one reason to work here, it would be that you shouldn't have to worry about not having your job at the end of the day. Other good things is good pay, free food after 8pm and of course the free rides home after 8 (but then again, you have to stay after 8 pm to get the ladder two)

Cons

Being a summer analyst, one is able to notice a lot of things in the company. For one, I notice that depending on the group within technology, people work either straight from 9 to 5 or work ridiculously long hours. I also heard from people (just rumors of course) that Goldman technology has a lower starting salary than many other financial tech companies and has an especially low bonus in comparison (but again this is just rumor). I would also say, working in Jersey City is a small downside (to me at least) as one has to travel from Manhatten to get to work, though then again, at least everyone else is going the opposite direction.

I would tell senior management (on the non-tech side) to realize the importance of technology in the workforce. GS is now basically a technology company,where the speed a trade occurs is the most important thing to a client rather than the small personal touch that GS provide with the traders.

A great place to learn the business

Current Employee - Finance Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Goldman has a very diverse workplace and nearly everyone who I have worked with has been fun, helpful, and supportive. You get a great starting salary, healthcare benefits and 1 to 1 401k matching. Also there are the usual financial firm perks: $25 for dinner after 7 and a car home after 9...not to mention lots of cocktail parties!

Cons

Obviously there are some long hours, but that is to be expected...get your work done early and you can go home. Facetime is not an issue. Also there are those who think that they are great just b/c they work at G/S...but then again you have that at any financial firm.

Improve quality of H/R involved in new hire training

Great place to begin a career

Current Employee - Technology Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The brand name, the opportunity to quickly assume a great deal of responsibility, challenging work, very intelligent colleagues

Cons

High-stress, very intense environment with tremendous pressure to perform at all times

Take steps to make compensation and career advancement more transparent to new/junior employees.

Eyes Wide Open

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

GS has an impeccable reputation in the financial industry. Benefits are GREAT! You can reach out to fellow co-workers if you need assistance.

Cons

Some department resources are stretched too thin. Distribution of changes in company policies could be done more frequently. Outsourcing of some company help desks slows down the process of getting some tasks completed in a timely manner.

Communicate, communicate, communicate....

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!