Goldman Sachs Reviews

1,710 Reviews

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein
Lloyd C. Blankfein
1,141 Ratings

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm (in 166 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder (in 283 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for (in 356 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Goldman Sachs is quite a unique environment of "cream of the crop" people. Great place to work, and you will definitely be rewarded for working hard.

Cons

Goldman Sachs promotes work-life balance but this is not an easy balance to maintain. This can and does take a toll on family life. Hours can be very long (a minimum of 10-hour days is required/expected of "professionals") and the work is challenging. Extremely fast-paced, stress-filled environment. I have seen that young, less-experienced employees seem to be favored, rather than mature, experienced individuals.

Technical Analyst

Former Employee - Technology Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learned a lot about management and things other than technology.

Cons

Not using cutting edge technology. Very cut throat

Stop keep moving people around like every moth

Makes you strive for excellence every single day!!

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Professional, meritocracy, get to work with highly competent and talented people. Improve your skills sets and become SMEs. Fantastic culture and people. Good salaries. Flexibility to those who deserve it. Good place for working mothers.

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge but not impossible. Consensus driven organisation makes decision making slow.

Don't just promote and focus on the hypos, focus on the steady eddies as well!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What an awful place to work!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Goldman Sachs as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Pays good, you make good contacts if you're a regular employee, especially someone who brings money in, you're LOVED.

Cons

Nasty people for the most part, and if you're not one of "them" or over a certain age, you're just there. If you're not a wealth management person, you're part of the furniture and no one has two words to say to you. This was a shock coming from an office where EVERYONE said "good morning." I just stopped talking and spoke only when spoken to. After following rules and doing my job, I got tired of being looked at like I was bothering someone.

People are recruited right out of college, their egos bloated with how great they are, and they burn out by 35 or 40--especially the men, who look way over 50 in some cases. The people who can't stand it anymore leave, so they're constantly recruiting new people. I kept hearing about what a great place it was to work, but nobody could tell my why people leave, and why I wasn't good enough to be hired on.

I'm glad I'm gone.

Get over yourself and learn to respect ALL your employees. It only takes one disgruntled employee to cause a lot of problems--I'm not that person, but you never know who will be.

Vice President, NY - Don't believe the hype!

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good benefits - wellness center - cafeteria. Smart people, name is good for résumé.

Cons

Horrible environment/culture, cliquish, snobby, condescending, cut-throat, unhappy and over-worked employees. Unless you have a connection to someone in upper mgmt don't expect to be treated w dignity. Smart but stupid - inflated egos that won't allow for self reflection on their improvement. Employes are not their best assets as proclaimed. Spare yourself of this cult-like culture. Run if you can and don't look back.

Be human and implement realistic expectations and get rid of the bullies and the tyrants. Respect makes people perform and builds confidence.

GOD COMPLEX is Alive and WELL

Current Employee - Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, decent cafeteria (but on the expensive side), resume-booster

Cons

Racist, Feminist, and uses "Diversity and Inclusion" as window dressings. In fact, the SEC needs to look into their expense practices, because they don't adhere to their own policies

Please remember you haven't invented the cure to cancer, so come out of the clouds and walk on the ground with the rest of us

Incompetent Management at this particular department

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work. Great ambition and expectations in results.

Cons

This dysfunctional department during my tenure went through 2 upper management changes. While direct manager was trying to give good advice within his own transparency of the upper management, however the upper managers were not engineering centric while they were managing technology projects. The results seemed reflection of the disorganized upper management and lack of technical aim and direction. So it would not be realistic to push one's software engineering career under a team of 'project managers' without enough technical background or vision to lead the teams; thus lost staff and stuck in their career...

Identity and replace the middle to upper management with competent technologists to run tech departments!

Times are changing

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Still some smart people around.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Their hallmark statement is that people are one its greatest assets needs to be dusted off.

Look outside to see why people leave . Other companies offer just as good,if not better work environment, perks, problems to solve.

Smart People, Stressful Culture, Work-life balance not very good

Current Employee - Internal Audit Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time

Pros

Very intelligent people.
    If you want to learn the world of finance, there is no better place.
    Awesome resume builder for anyone wanting to make a career out of finance.

Cons

Work-life is very skewed towards work. Even in supporting offices, leaving before 6 pm is an unwritten taboo.
    A lot of unnecessary stress over unimportant details.
    Intimidating to ask questions of front line managers. They are so busy they don't take the time to train new employees and expect people to just "get it" with little direction.
    Pay is good, but cost of living (for NY office anyway) is ridiculous.

Pay more attention to workload management. One week I have nothing to do and the next I'm juggling urgent tasks from multiple project managers.

Say Goodbye to Your Personal Life

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the absolute best and brightest. Goldman is known to recruit top talent and it shows.
    Lots of training provided. Asking questions is encouraged. Great benefits (401k matching, great health care/dental/vision), short commute times if you manage to avoid SLC rush hour traffic/ winter storms

Cons

As with most reviews, work life balance is abysmal, especially if you want to move up. Once you're given a blackberry, there is no excuse for not being available or responding to emails while you're not in the office. The monetary rewards can be amazing, but were not worth giving up my personal life and personal time, in my own opinion.

Ideas for change are welcomed, but a very corporate culture can make it difficult to get things accomplished and changed. Managers can be very forgetful and have to be reminded of things everything. When they forget something, they blame you for not remembering for them. Credit to the individual is thrown out the window as everything is focused on how the team does, however coworkers will take credit for your work with your direct manager if you don't raise your hand say you did X task.

Analyst pay is very low which quickly hurts morale. Compensation has taken a hit in the recent years, although the executives in New York have gotten compensation increases.

Operations is heavily dependent on I.T., however the communication is very difficult and I.T. is so backed up, it can take months before they get to a request of yours.

Perks have been reduced to the point where "Jeans Day" is the highlight of the quarter. The office is not client facing therefore business casual clothes is not always required. Let all Fridays be jeans day. Christmas, Halloween, etc, have all been cancelled at the office. Anyone who decorates their area that is festive with the season will get a stern talking to by the closest Managing Director. Its like they suck the little bit of fun you would think you're allowed to have out of the work place.

One can take sick days as needed, however if you miss more than 1 day and you're not dying or in the hospital, your work starts to get distributed to other team members. This creates a stigma that you're not that sick and can still work from home. So although you're able to take sick days, it's looked down upon when you take more than 1 at a time for something that does not require hospitalization.

Don't be so skeletal with your staff to "bring out the best in them". Add in some headcount and allow people to take more time off, work normal days, and have a life that doesn't have Goldman Sachs stamped all over it.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!