Goldman Sachs

Excellent

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Mentorship
    Relaxed Environment
    Huge Bonuses
    Learning new things
    strong leadership
    Competitive Colleagues
    Great Offices

Cons

Long Hours
    Clients changing their minds at the last minute

very efficient

Former Employee - Vice President Strategiest in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Strategiest in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good coworkers, object oriented, good IT/HR infrustructure, good supporting staff

Cons

intense work environment, no place for slackers

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Compliance Summer Analyst
    Former Employee - Compliance Summer Analyst

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Excellent culture, with people who want you to grow. Top-notch firm that carries HUGE weight on a resume no matter where you are looking to go.

Cons

Some of the people really think they are gods gift to the world even when their role is not that important and working with these people isn't fun.

Keep doing what you are doing and keep the same culture.

Good culture everyone striving to reach their goals

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Stimulating and goal oriented environment. Great Co workers and focused energy in a team environment.
    My group work 45 to 50 he weeks. All weekends off

Cons

Pay in salt lake is sub par.
    Pay per hrs can make you reconsider
    Must stay in ops forever to make any kind of money

Very good career starting point

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Smart colleagues, best financial conglomerate, good career training

Cons

Company is big, so can be bureaucratic at times. Comparing to tech companies, pay is mediocre especially considering the hours put in.

Summer Intern

Former Intern - Analyst Intern I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Analyst Intern I in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1. The people I worked with were very nice and knowledgeable. Everyone came from a diverse background and most of the employees spoke more than one language.
    2. The facilities and offices were quite nice for the smaller cubicle life, made it easier to ask each other questions.
    3. The work-life balance wasn't as bad as I expected. A lot of people came in at around 7:30am and were all mostly gone by 6pm.
    4. Management was very nice and I could tell they got along with most of the employees on a personal level.

Cons

1. The work was a mostly monotonous and tedious. I was working on an intern project but seeing the work that the full-time employees were doing didn't seem much better.
    2. Majority of the employees seemed to be doing the job at the moment to build experience and their resume so they could move on to a better role outside the company.
    3. Promotions didn't seem to happen often. My full-time offer after my internship wasn't very high either. High 50's.

Typical investment bank atmosphere.

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

The best part is Perks

Cons

There is way too much Bureaucracy

Technical Analyst

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- People are nice and friendly. Throughout ~2 years I've only heard my manager yelled once (at someone else), and he immediately felt bad and apologized. However I've heard different stories on the trading floor since the pace/environment is more stressful there
    - I can feel that almost everybody who is successful at GS are very very similar in personality, manner and in their ways of doing things. I think in order to become successful at GS you must become one of those "polished" political figures - great at talking, great at selling yourself, great at doing things that make your managers notice you, great at networking and befriending everybody around you. I just don't think I am a great fit for that but if that's what you want to become, working at GS would help you achieve that really fast.

Cons

- Low salary compared to the rest of the industry. When I was interviewing for other Tech companies (Google, FB) while at GS, after I report my current salary to their the compensation team they all say that this is way below the industry and they will just disregard that while calculating my package. My offer from those two places is more than twice as much as what I am being paid at GS (which is around mid 80s)
    - Not much focus in Technology. Can't blame them. You are not driving the revenue. As an application developer I am usually being grouped to the "IT guys" and asked to fix their keyboards.
    - Too much focus on soft skill. When I was at my training, our mentor was some guy who is very smart but a little lacking in manners. He would be wearing rather casual and messy clothes, and usually not very good at saying fancy welcoming words. All my peers however seem to disregard him as "one of the worst mentor ever" "cannot possibly represent GS", although this person possesses really great technical skills and passed me some really great knowledge.
    - Technology wise, the place is rather dysfunctional. Many people leave and come so often, so there are always codes lying around not being maintained properly. The project I worked on for a whole year and only have 10 users and no one seems to care. When discussing visions of some potential new projects my team would be launching, manager is always talking about how they can "convince" the business people who decides the annual budgets, while rarely talks about if it would really be helpful to the users.
    - In the technology division a lot of senior people are in fact very smart and have strong background. but in the recent years the newer recruits, there are less people who are actually smart and passionate about technology, most of the really talented ones go for somewhere else that pays way more.

Not so positive

Former Intern - Operations Analyst
    Former Intern - Operations Analyst

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1)Good work culture
    2)Friendly people
    3)Good Food
    4)Less Hierarchical Managerial chain
    5)Good exposure

Cons

1)Not so quality work
    2)Managers no respect for lower candidates
    3) Loong work hours
    4) Too much work pressure

VP

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Management in specific teams can be too competitive internally and not think about their team members nor clients at times