Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein

Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm(in 165 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder(in 281 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for(in 355 reviews)

145 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Technology Work Placement

Work Placement - Technology (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsStructured career path
    Good name to have on your CV in this industry

ConsSalary less than similar roles at other banks
    Technology under appreciated as it is not 'revenue generating'

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIn house training is fantastic. The canteen, gym and medical centres in the building are top class. The people are all intelligent and driven meaning you are constantly challenged. Good options to move internally.

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to maintain. Down turn lay offs can be tough as with any investment bank.

Great place to work

Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsChallenging work, good pay and lots of growth opportunities

ConsNot great work life balance and have 12+ hour days are a norm with average being worse.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst/Developer

(Former Employee)

Proslively environment, good food in canteen, quality offices

Consdoes not follow their own mission statement. no teamwork spirt. politics is the ruling factor of the day on a day to day basis. there is no team spirt it is all about individual. terrible and deceptive practices both with client and with colleagues. long hours but salaries are low compared to most banks. it is one those places where you hear a lot about but when you join it leaves you with a bad taste. lack of integrity of colleague and business practices. a lot of colleagues are arrogant - think they are smart when they really aren't. hires oxford and cambridge graduates some of which are just terrible coders. treats IT as not part of the business. unprofessional atmosphere.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove ethics with clients and internally - follow the mission statement where teamwork which rarely if ever applies here. management are very politically driven and lack colleagial atmosphere. unapproachable managers.

Great company, but not every team is equally good to work with.

Summer Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAn exciting and fulfilling internship programme. Plenty of opportunities to learn, lots of training provided. Good working hours in Technology.

ConsNot all teams support their interns equally well. You can demonstrate drive, but without the support of your manager there's not much you can do over the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to train your team managers in people development. Some are only focused on results, which lower the morale.

Outstanding organisation. The people, culture and working environment are first class.

ProsEveryday challenges you to be the best that you can be. People around you continually stretch you outside of your comfort zone.

ConsTough environment to be truly successful in if you are not the very best of the best in your field.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on leveling the playing field.

The best company you can work for, slighty longer hours but the best in terms of culture and organisation values.

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing culture, open minded people

ConsLong Working Hours that can be strenuous at times

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthening working hours for people

fast learning experience

Technology Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat culture and great teamwork

Consno worklife balance; some bureacracy

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to employees

Securities Summer Internship

Securities Summer Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDynamic and lots of opportunities to shine if you know how to exploit them.

ConsPressure if you don't know what you're doing

The best corporate culture management, from my experience. Always feeling integrated and learning soft and hard skills.

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGoldman Sachs is amazing at integrating new people within the current employee base. They are great at easing you in the culture. It might seem like a "brainwash" initially but it is amazing to see how truly connected and commited to other's development is. You are always encouraged to network with others and it is always possible and highly appreciated. People truly make time to meet and get to know you and that helps when there are questions lateron. You always have someone to turn to. Training on the job through networking! Even after the job, I still keep in touch because I have developed a big sense of appreciation and connection for the company.

ConsHigh pressure environment and intense hours. You have to be truly passionate about the work itself (not really a con, but an important aspect to excell).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being involved with junior employees and interns. Unbelieveable but true, people in Management positions are incredibly available to connect with you.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!