Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein

Lloyd C. Blankfein

Pros
  • The best thing about the firm is outstandingly smart people at the firm(in 166 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about how to work under stress and tight deadlines(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent if you want to proceed up the corporate ladder(in 283 reviews)

• Long hours and work environment was not personally what I am looking for(in 356 reviews)

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best corporate culture management, from my experience. Always feeling integrated and learning soft and hard skills.

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGoldman Sachs is amazing at integrating new people within the current employee base. They are great at easing you in the culture. It might seem like a "brainwash" initially but it is amazing to see how truly connected and commited to other's development is. You are always encouraged to network with others and it is always possible and highly appreciated. People truly make time to meet and get to know you and that helps when there are questions lateron. You always have someone to turn to. Training on the job through networking! Even after the job, I still keep in touch because I have developed a big sense of appreciation and connection for the company.

ConsHigh pressure environment and intense hours. You have to be truly passionate about the work itself (not really a con, but an important aspect to excell).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being involved with junior employees and interns. Unbelieveable but true, people in Management positions are incredibly available to connect with you.

Outstanding quality of people, amazing brand name

Associate (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExceptional quality of people, lots of opportunities within the company, good compensation, good career prospects after, great name on a CV, great networking

ConsThe main downside are the long hours and basically no life. Not a long term career for someone who is looking for a more balanced life. Great place to start a career though. Best to do it in early twenties.

It's not as good as it sounds, at least in Technology

Technology Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood benefits (private health insurance, good gym etc). Compensation is reasonable by industry standard.

Reputation: definitely looks good on your CV.

You meet very smart people, great place for networking.

ConsMassive workplace politics, you have to scream loud for visibility, seriously you need to scream for anything you have done, you are doing, or you haven't done but would like to do - as long as it makes you sound good. Some decent, but not loud enough people got laid off first. The performance evaluation is rather subjective, unlike what they told you, it's not linked to your compensation in most cases - people who scored high in their review could still get very little based on how much you're 'favoured' by the management.

Career development completely depends on your boss, and your boss' boss: if you have a supportive manager in career development and guides you about promotion do's and don'ts, it's great. Otherwise you have to fight for yourself. Worst of all, some managers would actually prefer keeping you working on the same stuff for years and stop you from moving to other teams.

You don't get to work with smart people all the time, there are a fair amount of incompetent people in the back office divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on productivity instead of politics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent quality of people

Business Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood pay
    Intelligent and pleasant people in my department

ConsMany sharks in other departments
    Lots of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the business and look after your best people.

Amazing and prestigious firm but not a place to be if you don't know what you want

Investment Management Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat brand name, success driven, flat structure and exposure to industry veterans. It is a great place to work if you know what you want. People are in general very bright and professional.

ConsLittle perks, average pay, long hours, too "collaborative" and too much red tape (compliance, legal, sign-off, committees... you get the point). Difficult to get things done and unfortunately not as commercial as one would think.

Due to the stressful environment, high workload and lack of training it can be difficult to get good at what you do. Production line rather than a place for learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we're fading into Gen-Y the outdated ways of working and multi-task driven model at GS will be a huge challenge. When people care less about prestige and pay (there is now less of this too), competing against new industries and firms will be hard.

Good company to work for

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Good pay
    - Very talented and passionate technologists
    - Deal with some of the best Computer Science problems
    - The work you do can have a large impact on the firm

Cons- They do overwork you, spent a lot of time outside the usual 9-6 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter work/life balance

Goldman Sachs

ProsGreat flexibility of working from home when needed. Never thought an investment bank would offer such a great flexibility.

ConsIt's definitely the most competitive environment I've ever worked in. Some people seem to be online almost 24 hours. This can add pressure to others.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you like an intensive thorough experience in both business and technology this is one of the places you want to be.

ConsForget the term 'work-life balance'. There isn't any such thing at GS. It's all work .

Great place to work

Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople are great, very very smart.

ConsHours you have to put. Some days are long....

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing.

Great challenges, poor environment

Executive Director (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLearn a lot, you basically get a Master Degree in Job Survival
    Lots of responsibilities from day 1
    It is still one of the most respected brand
    You learn how to swim with sharks, politics etc

ConsYou spend your days talking about money, the one you make or the one your trades are making; as a consequence your life's priorities change in worst
    It is too competitive, hard to make real friends around you; the few friends are in other departments, so not in direct competition with you

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!