Goldman Sachs

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein

Lloyd C. Blankfein

115 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome people, good work environment, but can be long hours.

Financial Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities for leadership. Strong management team. Great co-workers.

ConsLong hours. Stressful environment. Sitting behind a desk all day.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess stressful work and greater pay will go a long way to retaining top talent.

Depending on the team can be a good place

Technical Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of problems that can be solved with technology. Sometimes it takes a fair amount of convincing that the business problems can be solved with technology.

ConsLots of politics. Lots of meetings. Generally people have to have the "warm and fuzzies" for something to be authorized where it is something that can be warm and fuzzies or not.

Summer Technology Analyst

Summer Technology Analyst (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern for less than a year

ProsOrganised paperwork and meetings , reviews

ConsOutdated software, rigid timings, no cubicles

Run.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits and health care coverage; however, my boss would never let me use them. I could never get out of the office for a doctor visit, so the benefits really weren't worth it. I left the firm with the maximum number of vacation days I didn't have time to use. I guess at least I get paid for them when I leave.

ConsEvery negative rumor you have heard is true. This is a sweatshop. Employees are shuffled around like interchangeable pawns in a chess game. The hours are TERRIBLE even though the people I interviewed with touted the company's "work/life balance". I was told that they only pay 1/2 time for overtime to discourage overtime hours. Not true. I have seen people who web-surf most of the day applauded for the long hours they were putting in. Appearances are everything and you can plan on 50 hours a week as a minimum if you are lucky enough to join a group that is well-staffed. I was micro-managed (though that will depend on your division) and in looking for a new position, found that in Utah, experience with Goldman Sachs actually HINDERED my job search - significantly. The years I spent here have been worthless to me. Their roles are highly "specialized" meaning that you learn nothing about the broader industry and are basically a ticket puncher doing the simplest menial tasks until they figure out a way to automate your role and you are moved to man another conveyor belt. When I asked to work only a 10 hour day ONE day a week for personal reasons, I was repeatedly NOT accommodated. You can completely forget about any medical accommodation for hours, though they won't hesitate to give you a footrest or seat cushion. They may support you in theory, but not in practice. Turnover is very high (they lure you by saying that it's a competitive environment for the brightest minds and that only the best endure - not reality) and I know several people who have chosen to be unemployed rather than continue to work at GS. I worked for Operations for 2 years before moving to the Investment Management Division. Within one year in the Investment Management Division, I got over 25 "farewell" emails from people leaving the firm. The firm is lowering it's hiring standards wherever they can and in most of the hiring discussions I witnessed, the only basis for a decision to hire was whether or not the most senior interviewer "liked" the person. They are hiring from all different backgrounds and experience (which they explain as "diversification") and grade point average do not matter anymore. This is no longer the organization that hires "the best of the best". In New York, you are hired if you are from the right family with the right contacts. In Utah, you are hired if they like you. No skill needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm consistently drones on in presentations about how they focus on finding the right "fit" for employees. After sticking it out for over a year in a role that absolutely was not working out, I reached out to my manager's manager, my formal mentor, and human resources. I explained that this role was not the right "fit" for me and asked for advice/help finding a role where I could more enthusiastically and productively contribute. In all three cases, my inquiry was promptly dismissed and I was told to stick to my current job. Simply put, my advice is to practice what you preach. I was on several working groups to manage attrition and knew of many others, but at the end of the day, only happy employees are likely stay with the firm.

Good training - High turnover

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people hired on at GS are very smart and are expected to train each other very well. The experience is well worth it if this is your first job out of college.

ConsStressful work environment. The hours are very long and the load is heavy. The expectation is that you should spend 50+ hours a week on your job functions and then put in more time to make your job better i.e. improve processes, work on projects, etc...

The pay is much lower than you'd expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare less about those at the top and figure out how to retain the analysts

Long years without career progress

Risk/Compliance (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has unmatched benefits such as the 401k contributions, excellent healthcare (not so excellent any longer), dental, vision, and fitness reimbursement.

ConsThe work life balance is seriously lacking You will find most do not take lunches or breaks. The appearance of working long hours is the critical function, not contribution (which is unfortunate). There is a lack of interest in experience and talented people. Salt Lake City is treated like a common everyday processing center without the consideration of treating their talent like human beings.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on customer experience internal and external, don't put robotic personalities in to do the job. The managers need to be less technical and more people oriented. There is a imbalance that is created from the culture of those that are included for promotions and development and those that are not.

They work you hard. It wont pay off unless you stick around for a while.

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs

ProsHigh stress work environment can be invigorating but can also turn you into a grouch. A mixture of highly motivated, intelligent people with the terminally mean, stuck-in-this-job-for-life crowd. A lot of turnover--many people leave for better paying, less stressful firms who don't have as impressive sounding name.

ConsWork becomes your life and has to be your number one priority to be successful at GS. Salaries in Salt Lake office are surprisingly low, don't count on much of a bonus, or overtime pay either. You'll be monitored every second of every day.

Working with GS

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrooms one into a solid professional

ConsWide variation in compensation for people at the same level, people managers not chosen due to their ability to deal with or manage people

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and groom better people managers

Hard work, little rewards, not worth it

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than a year

ProsYou work with great people, teamwork is emphasized. Opportunity to learn a lot of things, and you get exposure to different areas

ConsLong hours, low pay, high expectations, limited mobility, promote certain ideas but don't actually follow through with it, pushing great employees past their breaking point

Advice to Senior Management1. Pay employees 2. More work/life balance 3. spend time training managers

Good Experience but treated unfairly in IT for a women

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time for more than a year

ProsGood way to put a good company on your resume

ConsThis is a contract job- horrible no time off or benefits. Treated indiffrent because I was a contract job. NOT able to move in within the company. Treated unfairly for IT

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running like a sweat shop and treat peoply fairly.

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs reviews and ratings in Utah — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd C. Blankfein. All 115 reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees.