Goldman Sachs Reviews

Reset

1. Smart people

Current Contractor - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people are everywhere here. This firm has a good reputation in the industry. The leadership are good at working with you to solve problems. They have a global footprint.

Cons

I have to frequently work long hours, I have to work on holidays, I have to work an occasional weekend. For some teams, working weekends is the norm.

Advice to Management

The management is very good at putting smart people in charge of things to both make projects effective and also to help their people grow.

2. Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, smart people, challenging, flexible managers

Cons

Ops side structured, can be bureaucratic

3. Great team

Current Employee - Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hardworking team, bright people. Enjoy my team in slc and NYC. Both teams work hand in hand

Cons

Working in a satellite office sometimes makes it hard to stay connected.

Advice to Management

Brining more sr. Jobs to slc

You can have a great career, if you like to work ALOT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great career path if you are motivated. Pay is okay depending on the year. Some management is very good and listens to their employees. If you want lots of new opportunity, it is yours, you just have to ask. If you want a career in the investment banking industry, this is the place. You just have to remember, just because the office is in SLC it doesn't mean less effort or time in the office. In fact, I would say it is more. Also, if you are having problems in your life, they will really help you out, but you have to ask them. If you are having personal issues, they will literally bend over backwards to help you. I knew a guy who got in a terrible accident while on vacation in Mexico and had to be life flighted to the US. Needless to say it was an expensive trip. GS took care of the whole thing. He didn't have to do anything. Also their maternity leave is KILLER. No one can touch it (4 months FULL Pay).

Cons

Terrible work life balance. I literally worked minimum 50 hours a week for almost 8 years (on slow weeks). And I was not even vice president (didn't want it, could not devote any more time). Also, there are some really awful managers that they keep around even though they violate company policies (favoritism). They really will just work you to death or a heart attack (or divorce) if you let them. It is all about face time (at least in my division). They would say it wasn't, but if you left "early" (less than 50 hours) people (and managers) would make comments, even if you were AWESOME and super efficient at your job. They didn't care. It was like a contest who could stay the longest, and even then that wasn't good enough.

Advice to Management

Don't focus on hours worked, focus on productivity. Lead by example.

Operations Associate

Former Employee - Associate in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Associate in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive work environment, expectations are high for all employees to turn out solid work.

Cons

Politics are cut throat. Can be demoralizing to the new hires.

Its o.k.

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time

Pros

People- some of the best I've worked with. Training- unlimited opportunities for learning new skills and technical knowledge. Opportunities- there is never a dull moment and each day its a new challenge.

Cons

No work life balance- 50-55 hours is expected weekly. While the hierarchy is relatively flat (which is great) its very political. Pay and advancement opportunities go to those who play the game.

Great people, horrible slave driving work

Former Employee - CEG - FX Derivatives Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - CEG - FX Derivatives Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, motivated, and doing the best they can. My managers were some of the most decent, kindest women I've ever met. And you could tell the MD tried hard to make us happy given our situations.

Cons

"Contingent worker" really means, "you're not an employee here and you will recieve no benefits or decent pay for the hours you'll work." Yes, it's a prestigious job. But should we be working 60 hours a week for 17$/hour when we're not even allowed to visit the GS "Wellness Center" for an aspirin on the house? If you are technology savvy in any way, stay away from GS. While their JVM architecture teams are fabulous, the in-house proprietary software is so outdated that (not an exaggeration) 75-80% of your job will be fighting against the software you're forced to use. That includes the problems you'll face.

Advice to Management

Update your software, hire enough people to handle the workload, treat your employees (even the "contingent workers") like human beings. There's such a thing as work-life balance. Look into it.

9. Great Place for Self Learners!

Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with a multitude of intelligent and talent-driven people, opportunities to move across the firm, and great pay!

Cons

If you're not self learner, this is not the place for you! No one holds your hand, you're on your own and only get help when you ask for it. Your are given a project, with all requirements specified, and you're pretty much on your own from there. You decide what technologies to you, and if you don't know them you have to learn them! Lots of hours too!

Advice to Management

Let people know ahead of time this is place where you have to be innovative and have self disciplined and motivated!

10. A well oiled machine

Former Contractor - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs as a contractor

Pros

Great professional experience. Generally friendly environment. Direct supervisors were always good leaders, I can't speak to higher management because I had little interaction with them

Cons

Long hours, but relatively short (at least in my area) when compared to the rest of the industry. Operations can tend to be not as exciting. No client facing opportunities Not as much of a springboard as I thought it would be

11. Responsible for daily tasks and projects

Current Employee - Team Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very dynamic, great benefits, smart people willing to work hard and improve processes. Very prestigious company

Cons

Long hours. Over 60 hrs on regular basis. Minimum expected is 50 hour week. Industry has not been paying much on bonus.

Advice to Management

Turn over has been increasing. Need to look at that.

Showing 194 of 2,363 reviews