Goldman Sachs Reviews

1. Operations analyst

Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

smart people and interesting work

Cons

crazy hours and bad rep in the press

Advice to Management

open door policy for junior staff

Rode hard and put away wet

Former Employee - Private Equity Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Private Equity Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, extremely hard working colleagues
    Very professional environment
    Looks stellar on resume

Cons

Severely underpaid for the work you do
    Extremely long hours - it was common to start the day at 7 am and not leave until 7 or 8 pm.
    The 'culture' does not allow you to take a lunch break, you have to eat at your desk while working.
    Overtime pay is only half pay, which is insulting since you are unofficially mandated to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Show us that you value your employees. Treat us like humans who have needs, like the need to take a break once in a while, and recognize that your employees need to have a life outside of work. Tons of GS workers are burned out and miserable but stay because of the prestige of working for a firm like GS.

Rigged with bureaucracy and mis-management

Current Employee - Experienced Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Experienced Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

in general organization is very good. It really takes care of its employees. it offers good benefits and health plans

Cons

good organization to work for BUT the experience really depends on the team. People are promoted based on how good their relationships are with higher management and not on the basis of the quality of work and value they are adding. Managers are not aware of their team members skill set and they totally fail at creating opportunities for their career advancement.
    no acknowledgement or recognition for the people who are working for 11-12 hours a day. Their work goes unacknowledged.

Advice to Management

Please try to retain people who are working for you for 10-11 hours a day and PLEASE acknowledge their work.
    Instead of promoting people on the basis of boot licking or cajoling; try to promote people on the basis of quality of work they are doing.
    Try to find opportunities for people on the basis of their skill set

5. Great experience

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Many learning opportunities, competitive pay, access to senior leaders,

Cons

Behind the times with treatment of younger employees.

Advice to Management

Realize that high attrition rates are inevitable unless you change the current promotion structure.

6. Excellent Place to Launch a Career

Former Employee - Finance Associate - Credit Risk in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Finance Associate - Credit Risk in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Flat organization with great great people, lots of access to senior management, fast-paced and challenging work environment ensures you'll never be bored, lots of opportunity to work on different things and transfer to different departments (if you're a high performer) & outstanding benefits. Goldman really puts a lot of emphasis on their people, in developing them and having an open environment that's conducive to learning & progress.

Cons

SLC office is growing so rapidly there are some growing pains, it can feel like a very new/transitional type of company at times and there can be kinks in management and organizational structure (ie an ill-defined job role) that can add a lot of stress at times. Also, salary is ridiculously low. I don't care what they claim the SLC market is paying, it's way low. It seems like the other banks in town are raising salaries to compete with GS in the recruiting game though, and plenty of people quit to jump ship so perhaps with time the market will force salaries higher. That said, the benefits package is amazing!!!

7. Good place to start

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of development opportunities

Cons

Long hours and not necessary best in back office

Great training ground

Current Employee - Compliance Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Compliance Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Great insight into wall street from a very livable location

Cons

east coast culture in west coast setting
    Low compensation

Advice to Management

fight the attrition with higher compensation

9. IMD Controller Analyst

Former Employee - Finance Controller in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Finance Controller in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people to work with, very fast working pace, great benefits and generous vacation days.

Cons

long hours, work life balance is hard to maintain

Great company with very aggressive work culture and strong motivated work force

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company with good culture that promotes team work and consensus . Pays well compared to peers at more senior levels.

Cons

Work life balance. Junior folks starting out of college are not compensated well but after 4-5 years the comp where it is comparable or better then peers

Operations Summer Analyst

Former Employee - PWM Operations Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - PWM Operations Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Prestige and pumps up your resume. I got all my interviews with other companies mostly because Goldman was in my resume.

Trust me, rejecting the offer was the best thing i could have done. Not having a job is scary but Goldman helped me land a top tier job. You can greatly leverage this internship experience with any company.

Cons

Operations requires no skill and is absolutely unrewarding. You will write e-mails and create projects for internal use, no revenue generating. Higher management is unimpressive and I cant see anyone in the office being able making a sale, close a deal, or analyze financial data.

Don't be fooled, Goldman people are impressive and sharp in IB, Sales, Research, and several other divisions, but being in Operations is like if you were working for an entirely different company.

Of course there are smart people in there, but i will bet a million bucks that if you gave them the chance to go back in time, most of them would have not taken the offer and would be better of somewhere else. Don't be scared to reject the offer, but if you accept it make sure you understand what you are going into.

Great job for anyone that comes from a low-tier school, they recruit from great schools and from very weak ones. If your school has a name or is prestigious I wouldn't take the full time offer, leverage it.

You are and will be a secretary for the business side if you stay in operations, that's the ugly truth.

DO internal mobility, that's the best shot at another division.

Advice to Management

My managers were great but some others need to be better leaders. Be impressive!!!, I was very unimpressed by the personalities I encountered.

Showing 185 of 2,222 reviews