Goldman Sachs Reviews

Reset

Operations Summer Analyst

Former Employee - PWM Operations Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - PWM Operations Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Prestige and pumps up your resume. I got all my interviews with other companies mostly because Goldman was in my resume. Trust me, rejecting the offer was the best thing i could have done. Not having a job is scary but Goldman helped me land a top tier job. You can greatly leverage this internship experience with any company.

Cons

Operations requires no skill and is absolutely unrewarding. You will write e-mails and create projects for internal use, no revenue generating. Higher management is unimpressive and I cant see anyone in the office being able making a sale, close a deal, or analyze financial data. Don't be fooled, Goldman people are impressive and sharp in IB, Sales, Research, and several other divisions, but being in Operations is like if you were working for an entirely different company. Of course there are smart people in there, but i will bet a million bucks that if you gave them the chance to go back in time, most of them would have not taken the offer and would be better of somewhere else. Don't be scared to reject the offer, but if you accept it make sure you understand what you are going into. Great job for anyone that comes from a low-tier school, they recruit from great schools and from very weak ones. If your school has a name or is prestigious I wouldn't take the full time offer, leverage it. You are and will be a secretary for the business side if you stay in operations, that's the ugly truth. DO internal mobility, that's the best shot at another division.

Advice to Management

My managers were great but some others need to be better leaders. Be impressive!!!, I was very unimpressed by the personalities I encountered.

A growth opportunity, learning to think and work strategically

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits can not be beat. Work with mostly intelligent people. High stake responsibilities given to you on day one. Everyday can be a challenge to overcome but over time you'll see your own growth and realize you are stronger than you thought possible.

Cons

Management is never trained. They pick top performers and promote them to mangers- unfortunately most lack the interpersonal skill set needed to be a great leader. The stress is through the roof. You breathe the wrong way and they assume you broke an account. The hours are unruly - they will never tell you to go home. They will continue to overload your plate with more than you can manage and expect it to be perfect. No real training. Follows the monkey see monkey do attitude. Politics. The worst! Need to ensure you brown nose the right people to get promoted and make a difference.

Advice to Management

Under go people training. While you are very good at a function you may have once performed you typically are not good at working with people. Be more direct and to the point. Do not expect your team to pick up your slack or do things you yourself won't do. Learn to laugh and be a human not a drone.

Most challenging job in your life

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

emphasis on creativity cannot get bored very challenging exposure to senior management fantastic growth opportunities

Cons

work politics no work life balance low salary

Advice to Management

focus on quality of work and meritocracy and reduce politics

5. Good culture everyone striving to reach their goals

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Stimulating and goal oriented environment. Great Co workers and focused energy in a team environment. My group work 45 to 50 he weeks. All weekends off

Cons

Pay in salt lake is sub par. Pay per hrs can make you reconsider Must stay in ops forever to make any kind of money

Summer Intern

Former Intern - Analyst Intern I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Analyst Intern I in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The people I worked with were very nice and knowledgeable. Everyone came from a diverse background and most of the employees spoke more than one language. 2. The facilities and offices were quite nice for the smaller cubicle life, made it easier to ask each other questions. 3. The work-life balance wasn't as bad as I expected. A lot of people came in at around 7:30am and were all mostly gone by 6pm. 4. Management was very nice and I could tell they got along with most of the employees on a personal level.

Cons

1. The work was a mostly monotonous and tedious. I was working on an intern project but seeing the work that the full-time employees were doing didn't seem much better. 2. Majority of the employees seemed to be doing the job at the moment to build experience and their resume so they could move on to a better role outside the company. 3. Promotions didn't seem to happen often. My full-time offer after my internship wasn't very high either. High 50's.

Know your family only through the pictures on your phone

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good to great medical benefits subsidized disability and life insurance 401k matching Many learning opportunities and resources are available to employees good culture flexibility

Cons

Work/Life balance Successful employees are expected to work a lot of overtime Ethics - if it's not specifically illegal to do, it may be allowed You must threaten to leave to get a raise non competitive wages Managers fight among themselves for control. A verson of the Risk boardgame. Whoever takes control of the most territory, is promoted.

Advice to Management

Your voice isn't the only one to be heard

Very intelligent people and very challenging environment

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture Compensation and benefits are amazing Good management and people

Cons

Work environment with everyone right by each other can become distracting

9. Summer Analyst

Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I think the the team culture was really good.

Cons

Long hours may sometimes get overwhelming

I interview with GS and very quick in making a decision

Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very professional . They walk what they talk.

Cons

I think it's no work life balance. It requires lots of stress sometime.

Advice to Management

I think they should be more open and work closely to their folks.

11. Summer Analyst - Good Experience

Former Intern - Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Intern - Summer Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship program is a great experience. Got to hear upper management speak about the company and future career. My team was very helpful in training me on daily tasks.

Cons

The hours are really long. Prepare to work almost all day on repetitive and mundane tasks. Not a lot of room for growth.

Showing 196 of 2,390 reviews