GolfTEC

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
3.2

Joe Assell

Franchise owners in Southwest Florida were great employers. They treated me like family.

Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for someone who has a lifetime of golf industry experience was a plus. Being able to teach and coach players full time is amazing. Ownership were very understanding and flexible with my family life. Treated us like family.

Cons

Seasonal market can be tough, but there are plenty of golfers who need help in SW Florida and we were able to begin to tap that market.

Keep doing what you do. Treat employees just like you treated me. I came in and did exactly what was expected of me, and I never had my owners not do something I asked of them. You get out what you put in, in everything in life. Highly recommend this to anyone who wants to coach full time.

Southwest FL area is terrible. Franchise owners can't pay employees on time.

Current Employee - Certified Personal Coach

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

40 hour work week. Getting to teach full time not working at a club

Cons

Franchise owners didn't pay there employees on time. Make promises and never keep there word. Mainly couldn't pay employees on time and always wanted more

Get into a corporate store

GolfTEC Response

Sep 29, 2014Franchise Owner

We are completely dumbfounded by this "reviewer" stating that they are a current employee while at the same time writing in past tense. All of our employees are paid by direct deposit and not only ... More

A Golf Instruction Business that is always growing!

Current Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Tampa, FL

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Proven Path to Proven Results process as well as the technology is by far the best way for anyone to learn the game of golf. You will always find support from upper management and can grow as an individual.

Cons

If you aren't into selling services then it could be a little more difficult.

Great Place to Get Top Quality Teaching Experience

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Traditionally when you become a golf professional your day to day job is to tend to the pro shop, answer phones, take complaints about people playing too slow, etc. Most of the time the staff (with the exception of the Dir of Golf) has very little opportunity to actually give lessons and teach. If you got into the golf business to help people play better golf than this is the place for you!

Cons

There is not a career track. You could possibly work your way into a center manager position but there is no other way to move up in the company unless you move to Denver and work at the corporate headquarters.

Worked at 2 locations. Corporate locale was amazing - franchise is terrible

Current Employee - Certified Personal Coach

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great career if you love teaching golf. Awesome getting to work with people and help people obtain their goals. I've met a lot of people in high up positions so great contacts have been developed. Clients have taken me to amazing golf courses.

Cons

No chance for advancement in our market and I've gotten one raise in five years despite being a top performer in our market. Our manager does not know how to use a computer well so I have to do his work. No respect for our time or days off. I one received 26 texts from my boss on a day off. Franchise owners care only about sales and not about employees.

Treat employees with more respect.

Great opportunity to become an expert instructor.

Current Employee - Certified Personal Coach

I have been working at GolfTEC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40-45 hour work week. Holidays and one weekend day off. Steady paycheck. Chance to help a lot of golfers improve their game. Excellent work life balance unlike most golf jobs.

Cons

Low income. Little to no opportunity for advancement in company.

More income incentives that are realistic.

Hard work not rewarded

Former Employee - Golf Instructor in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Golf Instructor in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching clients was a fantastic experience and golfTEC provided the tools and technology to provide a comprehensive and unique experience.

Cons

Top sales and lessons taught in the store for entire tenure, was not rewarded and left on bitter terms.

When you find a person that can increase sales 130% in 2 years, you should show more appreciation to keep that person around.

Working at GolfTEC is a great way for a college graduate to gain experience in golf instruction.

Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Chicago, IL

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will gain a lot of experience teaching and get much better as an instructor. It was also nice that there was a fixed schedule, unlike most golf jobs. You will always have the same days off and if you work there long enough (probably over 10 years) you could have the weekends off too.

Cons

It's easy to burn out when you are teaching as much as they want you to. 200 lessons/month is a lot and more than most people can handle. The bonuses and compensation accelerators were not worth the additional effort.

Experience? Yes.... Rewards? NO!

Former Employee - Golf Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Golf Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will teach a lot and by a lot I mean a lot. You will be expected to teach upwards of 200 1/2 hour lessons per month or more. Any open time in your bok is not looked upon greatly. You will learn to teach or dye trying. Your first 20 clients will not get better as you learn how to handle the GT system and your own style. There is quite a bit of a learning curve. You will never work more than 40 hours a week, they won't pay overtime!

Cons

You will be working in a strip mall! Outdoor lessons are very rare and very hard to schedule. THIS IS a SALES JOB, don't be fooled by the rhetoric, you are there to sell clients as much as you can, getting them better is only there to sell them more more more. You will be expected annually to sell between 120k and 200k worth of lesson products. In return you will receive about 35k in compensation. Health care is not affordable and their stupid little contests are quite elementary and non motivating. Most of these are franchise centers, you will probably be working for someone who does not know the golf business, good luck. If you like to play in local events... Plan accordingly. Bottom line... if you need or want tons of teaching experience do it for a year or two. Never sign a non compete clause, it's worthless anyway. Giving a ton of lessons will only make you better. Then shop that around. Unfortunately the name GolfTEC is not a well respected name for future employers. It's a system, but for a technology company, they're tech has been far surpassed. Why do you think courses and clubs are putting up teaching buildings? A trackman and a laptop and a little ingenuity and you will make double the $$$

An excellent opportunity for golf professionals that want to learn a lot about the golf swing & focus on teaching.

Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Coach in Birmingham, AL

I worked at GolfTEC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training in sales and instruction as well as the opportunity to learn a lot about the golf swing & technique.

Cons

Commission scale could be better.

Commission should be based on individual sales instead of combined sales.