Golfsmith Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Jerry Cook

Pros
  • Casual dress environment, decent employee discount, offer golfing during work shift, free golf lessons, driving range and putting free to employees (in 4 reviews)

• Good discounts on services and merchandise, latest equipment and a chance to talk about golf all day (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of change in upper management seems we are resetting every year (in 6 reviews)

• Large disconnect between the store and its senior management (in 3 reviews)

1. Good Salary, Great Perks & Great Comission

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Golfsmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks of the jobs are awesome, especially if your a golfer. Management is dedicated, helpful and just fun to work with.

Cons

There are a fair amount of tests to qualify for Comission, however they do help with your knowledge of operations and product.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. Depends on what you want

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Golfsmith full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If money is not an issue and you are a golfer, it can be a great place to work. Most co-workers and managers were great to be around and I looked forward to going to work. Discounts were great and, for the most part, the customers are good to work with.

Cons

Pay is low, and only small advancement can be expected unless you are willing to move around the country. Even then, GM of a store is probably the highest you could expect.

Advice to Management

Give more say over day to day operations to store management.

3. Ask how I can improve your game...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Golfsmith part-time

Pros

Atmosphere is great. MOST employees are good to work with and the job is pretty laid back. Just show up and talk to people. Lots of inside knowledge from clubs to people who actually work for the big name manufacturers. Great way to meet buisness guys even though they aren't always the best customers.

Cons

Idk about other stores by the store im at loves to be very laid back (a little more than I would expect). There is no vacuuming or straightening up until the gm knows we have a visit from corporate or the DM. After that knowledge of the visit he expects everyone to drop everything and give up sales time to clean the store all day. The GM also refuses to hire. My store has been running off of two or three managers and at times four sales associates (only one is full time). Refuses to let anyone else be full time but has to keep hours limited in order to avoid making a full time worker.

Advice to Management

Surprise visits. Make sure people understand integrity. Push these managers to actually hire someone not just have interviews all day and have no one come in.

5. Fun but there are mgt issues

I have been working at Golfsmith part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discounts are nice on most items, around golf all day, free lessons from GolfTec, room to advance seems there's always a mgt opening

Cons

very cliquish and high school, anything for golf??? No. Low pay, too much mgt turnover, dress codes are ridiculous,

Advice to Management

actually manage, pay the people who know the game not cater to those who don't or won't do their job.

6. Anything For Golf

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

Pros

The job is simple. Come to work on time (or 8 minutes early/late) and do what is expected of you. You choose what days and times you can work and they make the schedule from there.

Cons

Business is slow right now, so it gets a little boring. A lot of douce bags golf.

Advice to Management

I'd just prefer a little more coaching on job performance.

7. General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Moore, OK
    Former Employee - General Manager in Moore, OK

I worked at Golfsmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the golf business; the employee discount is very good compared to other retailers, they make it easy for associates to try out new equipment; building a business and a clientele in your local golfing community; the pay is good for part time, commission associates. The part timers have an opportunity to earn very good money with commissions and vendor incentives, sometimes up to $30 to $50 per unit sold.

Cons

1) Training was downright negligent. I was recruited and hired as a GM from the outside, given one week of training in my store, and then expected to know everything I was supposed to know. 2) Corporate instability: I went through 3 regional directors in my first year with the company. Consistency between the 3 was non-existent; 3) Inventory and ordering systems are woefully out-dated compared to the rest of the retail world. Cycle count all your major categories regularly unless you want to end up with a major shrink problem. The systems, not theft, cause most of the issues. 4) I kept hearing about the Golfsmith "culture." I was never allowed to set foot in another Golfsmith despite asking all 3 of my regionals to send me (I was in an isolated, single store market) so how am I supposed to execute and maintain a culture I've never been around? If you're promoted from within, they'll keep you forever, despite your performance. By the way, I made the store a top 10 performing store, taking it from the bottom half of the company from the year before. But I wasn't a part of their "culture."

Advice to Management

Implement a real training program. People hired from the outside need to spend time in a Golfsmith store besides their own. Every other retailer on the planet does this but you. Computer time watching videos is not as effective as you think it is. Improve or replace your computerized inventory management systems. Value your employees, including the ones you recruit from outside the company.

8. Great Part-Time Job for Golfers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Golfsmith (More than a year)

Pros

I've always enjoyed golf and my sales job at Golfsmith taught me considerably more about the business side of the sport, and gave me a understanding of the the technology behind the clubs. I became incredibly comfortable with the clubs and to this day can have an educated conversation about what's in someone's bag, including suggestions on how to get more out of their clubs. The individual brands (TaylorMade, Callaway, Ping, etc.) know how important branding is, so they gave us incredible discounts in exchange for passing product knowledge classes. It was a win-win for us. We learned our craft, and received clubs and balls for great prices. The pay wasn't great, but hours were flexible, and I walked away with knowledge (and equipment) that I'll be benefiting from for years to come.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints. There wasn't a terrible amount of room for upward mobility, but for a retail part-time job, it was totally worth my time.

Advice to Management

In our store, only one person was in charge of repairs and regripping. I would recommend having everyone trained to do everything so they can pick up slack.

9. Do not recommend.

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Austin, TX

Pros

Good experience for work in an office, also great for someone who loves golf and would utilize the employee discount.

Cons

Highly male run company. While employed I saw all of the ladies in top "vp" or higher positions get pushed out or fired. The pay is minimum and not enough for the stress and frustration of working at a company that is not up to date with the times. I never saw any problems actually get fixed here, they were always putting temporary fixes or bandaids on issues and never fixing the actual problem.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

10. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Livingston, NJ

I worked at Golfsmith part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Golfsmith for almost 7 years. Learned everything there is to now about golf and build a really strong foundation for sales. Great leadership and very nice discounts.

Cons

My particular store had very high turnover (Livingston - NJ) and was eventually shut down due to increasing competition from PGA superstore and Dicks sportting goods.

Advice to Management

Bring back the corporate training programs (Eg. having ecco/ callaway/ taylor made reprs come in for product knowledge seminairs).

11. Production

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

NOTHING, I just need a job. Terrible company!!

Cons

Pay increases are ridiculous !

RSS Feed </> Embed