Golfsmith
www.golfsmith.com Austin, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Golfsmith Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Golfsmith – Austin – “Golf Range Golfsmith”

Sue E. Gove

Decent place to work at

Austin, TX

ProsIf you like golf, It'll help you overlook everything else that's wrong with the company
    Relaxed work environment

ConsHigh turnover in the corporate office
    Low pay in corporate
    They will work you to the bone
    Lots of arrogance with top management

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your people!!!!! Money is not all it matters.
    If you treat people right, the money will come.

A place to get started

ProsThe access to Golf gear, equipment, and practice is pretty darn cool if your into that. I'd say overall, the environment has a fun feel about it.

ConsAn Ok place to start, but given the low pay, outdated technology, and no room to grow, I wasn't planning on sticking around. Regardless of that, the management has most likely created a rather hard to maintain system in terms of size and number of transactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBump up the pay and share in bonus plans. Reduce your own if you have too. In the long run, you'll have to pay at least market to encourage a person to maintain that big mountain of data funneling through that system. Not to mention the outdated technology..

Abandon hope and dignity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed the other employees I worked with, but no one stays long since there is a revolving door as people quickly realize they are wasting their time under management that underutilizes, underpays, and under-appreciates them. The benefits packages are decent, but salaries are low with no room for growth. This is a good place to get experience at last resort, but it's like boot camp. (All pros are shrouded by cons.)

ConsThe work is mundane and redundant, constantly cleaning up other people's messes, but the messes never stop. One job is really the work of 5 jobs. Outdated methods and lack of processes make this environment extremely frustrating. Good luck fixing a broken system that no one wants fixed. Any idea will be met with violent opposition, as the people in charge are opposed to progress (that would make them have to work too). Salaries are about 20k less than average. Employees are lied to and tricked. I watched as employees were excluded from bonuses and denied raises at random for what seemed like management's savage amusement. Oh, the boss scene-- incompetent, power-mongering, vindictive, and condescending individuals disguised in golf attire. The office is bleak (almost no windows), mold-infested, and hideous, with no renovations since its construction. That means the carpet and walls are vile. There's no company culture, no perks, free food rare, and events & outings are extremely rare. The meetings are utterly pointless and overwhelmingly dry, negative, and money-focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Scrap this soulless corporate "system", because it isn't working. Learn to care about more than executive-level profit and create jobs and a work environment employees can be proud of. Be personal and don't beat the dogs that serve you.

"The key to the success of any company -- but especially one in turnaround mode -- is how quickly they get rid of underachievers and what they do to retain top talent."
    --Rakesh "Rocky" Agrawal

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable, good company to work for if you like golf

Austin, TX

ProsGreat employee discounts, super culture, and values. A lot of fun to work there.

ConsThere are no standard operating procedures written down so mistakes and problems seem to occur easily, and the frontlines bear the brunt of customer dissatisfaction as a result. Back office people don't take ownership for the issues that they generate, and the issues are seem to be repeated multiple times with no one getting fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementWrite up SOP's for all departments, when SOP's are not followed hold someone accountable.

Ok place to work

ProsWork life balance. Opportunities for advancement.

ConsPay scale. Not enough emphasis on process improvement.

Could be great but lack of leadership and poor use of technology holding the company back

Austin, TX

ProsIt's a golf company, what's not to like? Good discounts for employees. Made lots of great friends at the company.

ConsLeadership only interested in self enrichment, not doing what's best for the company. Technology that is the worst I have ever seen in my 25-year career spanning dozens of companies. Complete and total lack of work-life balance. Back office employees expected to work ungodly hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour choking the life out of this company. You have lots of smart and talented people working there - listen to them. Stop treating your employees like slaves.

Poor Management and lack of vision

ProsFree golf practice sessions and access to golf equipments

ConsNo training;
    No formal process documents;
    unreasonable expectations;
    management lacks leadership, vision and direction;
    Horrible time-off policies;
    unclean facilities;
    no gym and cafeteria

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take visible steps towards improving the working conditions and assign realistic goals for employees.

Fun and fast paced

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots to do to keep busy. Enjoy the fun atmosphere and passionate people.

ConsLots of change in upper management seems we are resetting every year.

Fast growing company that does not take care of it's people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIs a great customer service leader.

ConsBehind in POS and shrink technology.

Hiring process

ProsI was interviewed and offered a job &Management seems nice.

ConsI was offered a job but wasnt given paperwork to do a drug test or background check. Does this mean I cannot start until they give it to me or the background check comes back? Or do they just not give one?

Worked for Golfsmith? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Golfsmith reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Golfsmith CEO Sue E. Gove. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Golfsmith employees.