Golfsmith Reviews

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014
1.9

Jerry Cook

Pros
  • I worked with some great people while I was there (in 4 reviews)

• Casual dress environment, decent employee discount, offer golfing during work shift, free golf lessons, driving range and putting free to employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of change in upper management seems we are resetting every year (in 6 reviews)

• Abysmally low pay, your managers will overwork you and not even thank you for a job well done (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice People Long Hours

I worked at Golfsmith as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with some great people while I was there.

Cons

The company is understaffed and the employees are over worked. All employees were expected to work late evenings. Many employees worked through the night and were still expected to work the next day.

Good part-time job for golf enthuseist

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Golfsmith part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job was good for when I had it: in high school. They were flexible with shifts and gave me time off when needed.

Cons

The corporate office of Golfsmith slowly turned our store into an under-personal marketing scheme. We lost many regular customers when corporate made us do things there way. It was all about the money, and less about being loyal to customers.

Go back to the way things were.

Great Company, but management needs to listen to employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Golfsmith full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, driving range on site, putting green on site, they bring in food trucks, can work independently without being micro managed.

Cons

Pay was not the greatest, management could listen to employees needs better, they could also recognize the other team players who contribute besides just their top same few.

When dealing with layoffs, don't layoff the only producer in the department.

Laid off due to poor business in retail stores. The people that were let go seemed to be the better producers.

I worked at Golfsmith full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great company for the 14 years I worked there....the last 2 were hell!

Cons

CEO,CIO and CMO have destroyed the company both financially and culturally and many good people paid the price! Very sad indeed.

Need to hold poor performers accountable. Standing with upper management is based on politics and not productivity.

Poorly managed company with very little accountability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Golfsmith full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

non-competitive compensation, nothing special about compensation package (i.e., insurance), very outdated office and working conditions, everything is low budget, except what executives want

Living in the past

I have been working at Golfsmith full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent discounts, nice company polo shirts you can wear on your day off. Lots of time in the hitting bays when the G.M. Is off duty. Chance to do upgrades on your clubs in the shop @ no cost.

Cons

Golfsmith is an organization that is living in the past. They have yet to fully embrace computers as a viable technology and any improvement is ALLWAYS 6 months down the road. The revolving door at the Home Office is manifested in no one being held accountable. The belief is we are going to do it the same way we did 20 years ago. And if it's not working it must be the people in the stores fault.

No reason to be loyal and truly want to work at Golfsmith.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Golfsmith part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PUD clubs once a year, and a cost plus 10 discount throughout the year. Management is solid for retail work, and the employees are typically not a sore.

Cons

The company is not innovative at all. The biggest stand alone golf retailer and they really hold no advantage over local competition and internet sites. Employees are getting younger and dumber everyday.

Try to incorporate local courses and junior play more, as the market is there for it and ready.

Aging fan base and a lack of direction.

Former Employee - Sales Associate, Club Maker in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate, Club Maker in Miami, FL

I worked at Golfsmith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discounts on services and merchandise, latest equipment and a chance to talk about golf all day.

Cons

Many stores continue to under perform but management teams stay the same. The merger with Golf Town hasn't produced the outcome I think they were looking for, as the CEO left the company after only 18 months. Employees who perform well aren't promoted, instead they continue to bring in management from outside.

Promote from within and stop letting your star performers leave the company. You have no management training in place for those interested in advancing. You have a sport where the fan base is getting older, not younger so embrace a new generation of players in your stores and your employment.

Decent place to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Golfsmith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like golf, It'll help you overlook everything else that's wrong with the company
    Relaxed work environment

Cons

High turnover in the corporate office
    Low pay in corporate
    They will work you to the bone
    Lots of arrogance with top management

Care for your people!!!!! Money is not all it matters.
    If you treat people right, the money will come.

Sadly coming apart at the seams

Current Employee - Corporate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Golfsmith full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You would think there are a lot of perks, but there are not. There is a good employee discount on most products. There is a nice driving range and putting green at the office as well, but you will look odd using it since there are almost no golfers left in the company especially after the recent layoffs.

Cons

Senior management is absolutely lost. There isn't a golfer among them who has any passion for the game or a history of playing it. If you love golf then you will be very frustrated working here unfortunately.

You have a CIO and CMO who are literally driving the company and the brand into the abyss, and you have a CEO who just told us that there has been no discussion of layoffs and then promptly laid off a bunch of our co-workers, leaving us to do more work, much of it we don't know how to do because they just laid off the experts.

Golfsmith Photos