Goliath Technologies

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014
3.2

Thomas Charlton

Great product, great team, great leadership

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Goliath Technologies full-time

Pros

These guys have truly got a great product. Every sales call I was on you could hear the excitement in the prospects voice. The sales engineers and developers are amazing not only do they give great demos but also sell at the same time which in my experience is hard to find in a team.

The developers will build additional functionality to meet the needs of clients and prospects immediately. This is an awesome advantage as I've worked for other organizations where it could take months and years to get new features out.

The leadership is outstanding. The sales director and CEO have the best work ethics I've seen. In fact, the entire office did but I worked directly with sales mostly. They lead by example and even though there's long hours occasionally (as there is in the early stages of a company) you won't be alone the director and even CEO will be there with you. It makes it a lot easier when everyone is giving a solid effort and putting in the extra hours.

All in all if you are able to get the opportunity to sell for Goliath you should take it. They are in a great market with a great product with a great team behind great leadership. The others who posted negative reviews were most likely unsuccessful sales people who weren't able to make the commitment to their success.

Cons

This is a challenging career. It requires long hours at times. But if you like to be challenged and don't mind putting in the extra work (as I mentioned before you won't be alone, the CEO will there with you) you can get greatly rewarded.

It's a small office but if you can get in now you can be there for the growth and reap the benefits.

Keep leading by example. I'm excited to see where you can take the company!

Plain Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Goliath Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The ridiculous hours showed me that I was capable of amazing physical and emotional endurance.

Cons

Hard work was not rewarded, completely the opposite. Was misled and lied to from day one, from the hilarious work life balance spiel in the interview, to the comp plan. As mentioned in other reviews, the positive feedback on this page, is a complete lie as well.

Read a book about business ethics. Stop using unsuspecting young professionals as stepping stones in your quest to flip this company for a profit.

Career advancement is a joke...trust me.

I worked at Goliath Technologies

Pros

The office is in Conshohocken which is really easy to get to from anywhere in the Philadelphia area. Honestly, that's it. The best thing about my time with the company was leaving. The products are OK. MonitorIT is in a crowded market and hyperthetical is an odd product given that most of its functionality is available fro Citrix for free.

Cons

The charade that Goliath is starts here on Glassdoor. The CEO and his cronies have posted many fake reviews to make the company look attractive to talent and other companies in the region. Please, for the love of god, do not believe any of the 4 or 5 star reviews on this site. No legitimate employee of Goliath would ever rate the place 4 or 5 stars.

Low pay, long (LONG) hours and an unappreciative CEO who is a horrible, horrible manager. He can put on a good show, though. The benefits are bad too. Plus, if you look at the comp plans which they now publish on their website under job descriptions you can see for yourself how low their compensation actually is for all levels of sales.

The office environment is terrible. There are no cubical walls and desks that look like they were pulled out of the trash at some point. Most of the company's 10 employees are crammed into this office along with their part-time CFO. It's a very tough environment to work in.

There is no room for career advancement. Honestly, the company is going to get to a certain revenue point and then it will be sold, quickly. The CEO is using unsuspecting people to try and grow the company to a certain point so he can cash in. There is a employee ownership program but it isn't anything worth the trouble of working at Goliath and comes nowhere near making up for the low pay.

Finally, customers, prospects analysts and everyone else under the sun has be lied to at some point in order to close a deal. The CEO orchestrates all of this to help line his bottom line. The phone is constantly muted and BS is constructed right in-front of the people on the other end of the phone.

Get some real money to grow the company or stop your charade. The fake reviews you post on here or have others post are stupid. Some of them don't even make any sense. Your employees are people too...respect your employees.

Growing, Challenging, Rewarding

I have been working at Goliath Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been an employee for a little over a year and I have had a real positive experience. I would recommend working for Goliath if you want to work for a growing software company that challenges and gives opportunities to their employees, and have very clear goals and objectives. Management has excellent vision and ability to execute. They lead by example and not only gives people opportunities to be successful, but also provides them with mentoring, training, and tools to help them achieve their goals. This is definitely a challenging environment that takes a lot of focus and effort, but it is not an environment where people are pushed to burnout (i.e. sometimes it is about working smarter, not just burning unnecessary hours on unnecessary tasks). There is also a big focus on work life balance and a wide diversity of people at Goliath are able to balance their personal and social lives. This is highly encouraged by management. Goliath also puts focus on ensuring people take periodic breaks from the challenging, exciting work to have some social and team building activities.

Cons

no free soda or foosball table like at my last company, but the happy hours make up for it.

Perfect start in technology sales

I worked at Goliath Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was having trouble getting into IT sales. I didn't have the experience to make a lateral move into management, and companies were hesitant to offer me entry level positions. I came across Goliath through a referral. I was given the opportunity to step into the role of account manager, and since the company was only about 2 years old at this point would have exposure to executive leadership daily. I was actually offered a job at another company the same day I was offered the position at Goliath. The other offer paid a significantly higher base salary, but I chose Goliath because I saw myself being able to learn more about how to be successful in technology sales more quickly. The gamble paid off big time. The focus on sales training was a huge factor in my ability to contribute to the business almost immediately. Though I knew next to nothing about the technology, the system in place allowed me to be productive, generate opportunities and close sales, and while the selling was happening I learned the technology and the business. I would bet that during the year I worked at Goliath I gained three years of experience--the sales and business training is that good. And it wasn't just the training it was the culture too. If I wasn't focused on getting into a management role I don't see that I would have had any reason to leave Goliath. Because of the experience I gained at Goliath was able to take on a national sales manager role at a large system integrator less than two years after getting into the technology field. I am convinced that getting into management again in such a short time frame is a direct result of my choice to take the more challenging of the two jobs I was offered.

Cons

Nothing is ever perfect, you know.

Unprofessional Environment, Revolving Door

I worked at Goliath Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I fell for the good reviews and lots of fake promises made in the interview. This was a frighteningly bad work experience and a good lesson about thoroughly evaluating a company's values and ethics before coming on board.

The company's software products are innovative.
    Good support staff, very friendly and easy to work with.
    Good location, easy to get to from city.

They paid me what I asked for which was higher than I actually expected to get, BUT the benefits were lousy and I didn't realize it was for a 60-70 hour work week. (If you run a company right, you don't need to demand 7 10-hour days a week from your staff.)

There is always beer in the fridge. This is because you will be expected to work till 7-8. Happy hours are spent at desk or in meetings. This company will literally drive you to drink.

Cons

Everything in the other negative reviews is true, so I won't rant about the same things. Just a very unprofessional environment. CEO will cuss at you, at clients, and at just about everything else in daily meetings. It's kind of funny if it were a sitcom. Most mornings you're reprimanded at over something petty before you even get to your desk. It's a degrading environment.

I was feeling burnt out from the long days, but the software itself has potential and I'd gotten chummy with some colleagues so I was trying to stick it out. Then I encountered some former employees at an IT event in the city. They told me some disturbing stories involving lawsuits, harassment, etc. I don't know how true all this is, but it's worth noting that these aren't disgruntled employees; they weren't fired, they left on their own accord. And when you drop the name of a staff member or the company around other industry professionals and it's met with such a strong negative reaction, it can't be good. I personally didn't want to be associated with company any longer.

The place is a revolving door (so a Pro might be that you'll have opportunities to move up the corporate ladder quickly by default if you stay). I've been gone a while so not sure if turnover is still as high, but when I was there only 3 staff members had been there longer than 3 months.

Get an HR manager and implement a program that shows you value your staff. If you want employees to work nights and weekends, offer overtime. Actually pay out the performance incentives instead of coming up with loop holes to deny bonuses to staff members who have worked weekends and set aside personal life to contribute to success of the business.

Horrible Place for Anyone in Sales

I worked at Goliath Technologies full-time

Pros

-Goliath has a decent portfolio of technologies to sell.

-It is a transactional type environment where you'll speak to a lot of different people in a day.

-You will get free Sandler Sales Training but it is on the weekends and at nights.

-There are some really smart, talented people working and who have worked there. Although, the really smart ones have left.

Cons

-Extremely long hours, weeks and weekends resulting in little pay and commissions, below average benefits, no PTO and no stake in the business. You will spend a lot of time working in fear for your job never a word of thanks. A start-up is one thing but this place is not a startup as you think of one. There is no we're in this together feeling amongst the employees.

-There is a mirage built to candidates to sell them on the company and then when you finally enter you'll see how things really are. It you are planning on interviewing or have interviewed do not believe the presentations you saw or the language you heard. It is not true ask former employees.

-You'll will be belittled constantly and this will erode any self esteem you may have. Things need to be done one way, no exceptions and no considerations for creative thinking or doing. This will be the company's kiss of death because honestly the leadership has no idea what they are doing.

-The office culture is horrible at Goliath. It is almost like a high-tech sweat shop. Very few people want to be there. The company is made up of about 6-7 people at any given time. There are constantly people in and out. Although, I just saw they merged a struggling partner for probably next to nothing so it may have increased the employee numbers by 5-6 people.

-The offices are a disgusting mess and the quarters are very tight.

-While the portfolio of product functionally is good it is not easy to sell. The space is crowded and really not growing as fast as management claims. There are hundreds of other monitoring tools on the market and selling in a crowded space with a startup is impossible in a transactional type model.

-If you give others a real meaningful stake in the business they will care more and not mind adopting your ridiculous work habits.

-Realize that other people have personal lives and work isn't their life.

-Get a real office and workspaces for your team.

-The shoe string budget will only work for so long...either cut bait or go to an investor for real funding.

My career took off here...

Current Employee - Marketing in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at Goliath Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was told when I came on board that I could advance my career in a growing market with a company that promotes from within. The CEO and my manager said it would be difficult but I could do it with dedication and working smart. The CEO, who is really accomplished, described the culture of skill development that existed at the company. He does some of the training. My base has gone from under 50k to over 80k in 3 years!

Cons

Loud talkers in cubicles

Keep it Up. More stand up comedy from the CEO at the next company meeting.

Goliath would make an interesting study in how NOT to build a startup.

I worked at Goliath Technologies

Pros

OK for sales people looking to break into the technology space. You'll get free Sandler training - but it takes place on the weekends.

Cons

As another reviewer said, the 4 & 5 star reviews on this site are fake. The CEO wrote or commissioned them to make the company look good and more attractive to other people and companies. Don't believe them for one second.

Former employees will all tell you how much of a terrible work environment and emotionally draining place Goliath Technologies actually is. If you work there, your self esteem will drop substantially.

The company has extremely low pay, terrible benefits/PTO, a horrendous equity plan, a tough technology to sell and poor leadership that does not know how to grow a company on a real base. The company was started in a very crowded market where it is tough to differentiate the technology making it extremely difficult to sustain any meaningful growth.

Work-life balance does not exist. You will work 70 hour weeks without ever a word of thanks or you are doing a good job. You will not have any personal time anymore. If you have a family or significant other, stay away. They will expect you to put the interests of the company ahead of your personal interests since management willingly and openly does this.

Stop posting fake reviews; it's ridiculous. If you really want to grow the company - hire, pay and do what it takes to retain talent. Build a technology for the future. If you concentrate 100% on that the exit will come. Stop engineering products for the next deal and with exit in mind - it hinders innovation. Even though you don't want to, turning to a VC may help you build faster than organic growth and produce a more profitable exit for everyone involved over the long term - if long term is even the strategy.

Oh, and there is life outside of the office. For most people, it is and always will be more important than their work. Keep that in mind if you ever want people to be happy there. Happy hours and the quarterly dinner don't make up for the loss of personal/family time. Honestly, most of the team don't even want to be there but fear for their jobs if they decide to skip.

Karma will come back to haunt you, remember that in everything you do on a daily basis. Just remember that.

Uncertain future

I have been working at Goliath Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is located in Conshohocken, which is easy to get to. Ample free parking. Not much else to rave about.

Cons

All of the previous 5-star reviews on Glassdoor were written by the CEO, not by happy employees. Super super small company....only 10 employees. Future of this start-up company is very uncertain. Office space is small and cramped, most employees are performing 2 or 3 different roles, without proper compensation. Hours are long and unpredictable...you are expected to put in well over 40 hours/week. Benefits and paid time off are not great. I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a stable environment where they are appreciated, b/c you will not get the kudos you think you deserve and the company may not be around in a couple of years.

Stop writing fake reviews on Glassdoor, it is so inauthentic. This venue is meant to honestly educate others about the companies they are evaluating. Consider hiring additional resources so your existing employees do not get burnt out. Build the "culture" you keep referring to in other reviews you've written beyond the occasional happy hour. There is more to a company culture than that!