Golin

Updated February 23, 2015
3.6

Golin President and CEO Fred Cook
Fred Cook

Pros
  • There are a ton of great people that have passed through the doors at Golin through the years (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance is very good as well (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance as an issue which is to be expected with any big PR agency - also varies from account to account (in 4 reviews)

• The G4 model is a work in progress and still has room to grow and improve (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Culture

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Golin

Pros

Collaborative, supportive environment with major clients and smart people.

Cons

It's PR, not the ER

Trust associates.

Solid Place to Work

I have been working at Golin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

From the moment their internal recruiter reached out, the experience has been nothing but amazing. The interviews made feel comfortable and management was very transparent about the pros and challenges of the role. As an employee my role has grown and evolved to where I am integral member of the team and where my input is valued on a daily basis.

Cons

Not much to complain about here.

Disappointing

I worked at Golin

Pros

Great upward mobility at the junior level

Cons

After working at GH for many years and leaving on what I thought were good terms for a corporate opportunity closer to home, I was shocked that my former boss and colleagues want nothing to do with me. I can't get a reply on a note checking in, de-friended on Facebook. I always thought of them as family, I guess the feeling wasn't mutual. I wish I had known this a few years ago and I would have left a lot sooner for more money and better career growth. Lesson learned.

Well meaning, but lacks direction

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Golin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Golin offers a great benefit structure and competitive salaries, and is a fun place to work (at least in the DC office). The wide range of clients and loose job descriptions offer opportunities to get involved with a lot of different organizations.

Cons

Golin has lacked direction sine they got out of the Government Relations game. They also restructured job titles that led to a lot of confusion, which seemed to sap growth for employees as well as the company as a whole. The DC office is pulling out of it now, but 2012 and 2013 were years of heavy transition for the company.

Clearly define responsibilities and choose your battles on company policies.

Great agency, but not for everyone...

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Golin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gym reimbursement. Stocked fridges. And opportunities to work with some great clients

Cons

Clinging to the dying big agency model.
    Still very much traditional PR first despite changing times and client needs.
    Long hours and a grind for junior employees.

If the agency is looking to really transform, it takes more than a new model or name change. Digital and analytics efforts that feed up into account leads who onlu understand traditional PR will always fail...

Great Company Great People Great Leadership

Former Employee - Public Relations Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Public Relations Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Golin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What a great place! If you are in PR and looking for a terrific company, try to get into Golin. CEO is fantastic and office leadership strong, smart and professional. Engaged in community service, supportive of employees and committed to great work for clients. A lot of long-time employees reflective of positive culture. This company really cares about its employees -- doesn't just say they do -- they really do.

Cons

Office was vanilla, but they've since moved to an innovative space in the Hancock. A transportation subsidy would have been niice-to-have, but not a major issue. I can't think of anything that was a real Con.

Keep doing what you're doing ...

A leading global PR firm with big ideas and talent to accomplish it.

I worked at Golin full-time

Pros

A globally focused firm, an experienced, forward-thinking management team, and a pool of talented, creative employees. There's scope for advancement, lots of opportunities for professional growth and gaining exposure, and the work environment is great. Golin is not too big, but not too small either - you are part of a family here. No micro-management, great leadership.

Cons

In the growing markets of Asia they are still figuring things out. Lots of opportunities, but no strong direction yet. A little bit of this, a little of that - in terms of goals and growth of practice areas and clients. Positive, and exciting in general, but be proactive and watch your back, because no-one else will.

Lofty concepts, but practical application lacks. Refocus on core aspects of the business, such as getting new business and reducing staff attrition, and the rest will follow.

Good PR Agency

Current Employee - Account Supervisor/Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor/Senior Manager

I have been working at Golin full-time

Pros

All agencies are the same, but the people are what make Golin great. There is a lot of camaraderie and team work. Socials every month, good mentor program, training and other resources.

Cons

The new G4 model is horrible. If you want to be pigeon-holed as a media pitcher the rest of your career, this is a good place for you. Or if all you want to do is write... come over. But changing your role is nearly impossible.

Need to be more flexible and allow employees to have a variety of things they do.

Great environment, creative and fun.

Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at Golin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Golin is one of the best PR firms around. It's a great place to learn in a creative and challenging environment. The new G-4 model is a new blueprint for success that other firms will surely copy.

The leadership is very progressive as well. Very nurturing and great at setting folks up for success.

Cons

The only downside to Golin is that being part of the IPG holding company ensures that there is always bottom line pressure yet IPG doesn't provide any tangible value back to the agency.

A good, but flawed company.

I worked at Golin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a ton of great people that have passed through the doors at Golin through the years. There is no shortage of hard working, smart, creative talent willing to go very far for their clients.

Cons

If you're not "in" with a small group of senior level leaders, you will almost certainly fall behind or miss out on key opportunities. Also, the G4 model - launched several years ago - still is not properly functioning internally.

Stop focusing on the external marketing of G4 until it is properly functioning internally. But more importantly, end the cronyism - it may not only slow your turnover rate, but help you discover more great talent within.

Golin Photos

Lobby
Employees selling beverages from a trolley around the office for charity.

+ Add Photo