Good Technology Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
2.9

Good Technology Chairman and CEO Christy Wyatt
Christy Wyatt

Pros
  • This company is a place where my qualifications can make a difference (in 4 reviews)

• It is the worst company I have ever worked for with the most despicable leadership team in the IT industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management attempting to change the culture by changing out people (in 5 reviews)

• So top heavy with unqualified leaders (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Toxic leadership with a promising product

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Good Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- IT dept is very helpful and responsive to the employee needs
    - Engineers are top-notch, brilliant, and loyal to creating a great product
    - Sales engineers that I've worked with were extremely helpful in speaking the customer's voice so I could do my job well
    - I learned a lot about the enterprise world and what is expected in an enterprise product as opposed to a commercial product.
    - Because the company is semi-small and changing, there are windows of opportunity to show people what you can do and gain support.

Cons

There are pros and cons to every company, and they are usually all similar to some extent. This company's biggest flaw is the leadership has no values, the only thing they value is power and perception - perception to the workers and to their customers. They have an incredible product and the means to win big in their niche industry, but their customer needs are not represented enough in their product decisions. Too many assumptions and "fix-this" promises to big budget customers, while losing sight on the objective: make a great product. One manager promises one thing, the sales person gains the trust of their customer with this promise, and the promise was only half-delivered or not delivered at all - who do you think gets the bad rap? I've had several sales folks tell me they are leaving because of this exact scenario. I had to grit my teeth hearing the words "teamwork" or "grassroots" when referring to themselves as a stealthy start-up because that is a straight up delusion if the leadership is constantly running the pony show. Also, I realize the company is pre-IPO and they have to make tough calls to position themselves, but if you're going to do a big layoff, don't call it a "successful realignment" or "all part of the plan" unless you really want to admit these coworkers were just sitting ducks to your big plans or that you simply didn't make your numbers. I've watched C-level, VP-level, and director-level try and find the words to paint a pretty picture while you can hear a pin drop because no one in the room is buying it. I almost lost all passion and faith in my profession, but thankfully I had some amazing friends and mentors in the company who put those back in me, and I'm glad we are all out of there smiling.

Don't just talk to management about problems, always bring solutions. But if your solution involves changing the environment, talking to HR, changing work practices to best practices, or suggesting a new manager who has qualified skills, you'll only be a target. That's why I left.

Clinically Dysfunctional

I have been working at Good Technology

Pros

The IT department tries very hard to support customers and employees. The rank and file want customers to succeed, if only management would let them do their job.

Cons

Ruthless, cutthroat management starting at the top and going straight down. Cannot be trusted, no integrity, character flaws at all levels of the C Suite. People just disappear - the good ones. Sales and sales operations are arrogant amateurs with no knowledge of sales, much less leading high performing sales teams. Bullying is rampant and accepted and has permeated throughout the entire organization. HR tries to step up but gets cut off at the knees every time. What's the point? If you work here, have a Plan A, B, C and D ready for your exit strategy. Not a "Good" company name to have on your résumé. Actually, it's negative at best. Atrocious in the worst possible way.

No advice - they are not listening anyway and they couldn't care less. Observation: None of you would make it one day in a world class enterprise software company. Not one of you.

Toxic place to work - Deplorable Leadership

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Good Technology full-time

Pros

Unfortunately, there is nothing positive that I have to say about this company. It is the worst company I have ever worked for with the most despicable leadership team in the IT industry.

Cons

The leadership and management teams are the most unconscionable, deplorable, unprofessional group of individuals with whom I have ever worked. This is the most toxic environment of any company of which I have ever been a part. Management and executives have no experience in the field in which they've been put in their charge and they have a habit of bullying and harassing their employees both verbally and in emails.

Quit and go ruin another company.

Great

Current Employee - Sales Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Good Technology as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great management, fun team, good product

Cons

not many, they provide a lot of great resources.

Sometimes exciting, often harrowing and depressing work environment....

I have been working at Good Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Recent changes in product direction, UX improvement, excellent roadmap and vision compared to the industry. Shedding of some overlapping senior leadership encouraging.

Cons

Disingenuous senior leadership. Be honest with employees about layoffs, appreciate their knowledge and experience.
    Effectively stealing compensation from high performing Sales staff. Changing comp plans mid-stream to compensate them less. Shameful.
    No investment in people outside of senior leadership. Although cuts have been made still too many chiefs (VP+) not enough Indians. Bloated, unqualified leadership staff.
    Almost impossible to backfill quota carrying positions. Quotas are not adjusted to reflect the reduced headcount.
    Quite possibly the worst Senior Sales leadership I have seen in 20+ years in sales. Completely disconnected from the staff, no apparent leadership skills.

Listen to and respect your employees. Open your office doors and come out to play.

Fast moving company in a fast moving industry

I have been working at Good Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great can do attitude and place to be if you want to make a difference

Cons

Sort of place you need to work hard but rewards are there

Delegate more - you have great teams to delegate too

OK

I have been working at Good Technology full-time

Pros

Great product that works well and strong vision for future releases but go-to-market strategy keeps changing

Cons

Complex message that confuses market and numerous re-orgs distract and delay ability for execution. Decision-making is inconsistent

expand customer focus and keep it simple

Future is bright ---> layoffs/adjustments, etc.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Good Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CEO claims; Future is bright. In reality: layoffs/adjustments, etc.layoffs/adjustments, etc. So, where and what is the truth? If Good is such an unique opportunity, why do you let people go?

Cons

Conflicting messages from the leadership.

Be honest.

Used to be good

I have been working at Good Technology

Pros

Great product and vision. Nice salaries. Some very talented folks in engineering, account management and channel, but none of them are appreciated for their knowledge or experience

Cons

Toxic environment. So top heavy with unqualified leaders. Upper management makes knee-jerk decisions in a vacuum and pays absolutely no attention or consideration to the actual experts in the positions below them. As a current employee, it's so sad to see how poorly this company is run. Sales strategy is broken at best. Let the sales team do their job and just leave them alone.

Good needs to just stop, sit back and actually listen to their employees. Oh, and they need to massively clean house at the VP level. When will companies learn that the #1 way to see your sales numbers fall is demotivate your sales team? Good is really good at demotivating everyone. This needs to be fixed, and it stats with getting rid of all sales management.

Good Tech has Fab Engineering

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Good Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Technology has some of the best and brightest engineers working hard delivering mobility solutions. The engineers are top notch and it is a great pleasure working with them. The team is on fire, working on innovative and industry leading solutions.

Good has an excellent leadership team, led by Christy Wyatt. Christy sets great vision, gets in to the details, and has hired great talent turning Good into the industry leader in enterprise mobility.

Cons

Mobile is fast paced. No it is blazing fast. More than anything you can imagine - with this, we all need to be used to the pace.

Keep the engineers happy. Spoil 'em. Reward them. And keep charging forward as the leader in mobility!