GoodData

Roman Stanek

Energizing!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellence in people, product, customers and investors, changing how global companies use information to succeed! The working collaboration and cooperation between US and Czech teams has mostly been outstanding, with a willingness to accept that each and every org and person plays a key role in making customers, and subsequently the company, successful.

Cons

Managing change is not impossible, but isn't easy, and we need to get better at doing and accepting necessary change... in order to succeed we need to constantly improve and change. That's true at the executive level and at the individual contributor level.

As we innovate and improve our solution and services, don't forget the customer base that got us here. While we generate better and better solutions, we must equally consider the migration of existing customers to those solutions, while we target new customer acquisition that will continue to move us up and up.

Growing company, Helping personal career growth

Current Employee - Sales Development  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Development in Portland, OR

Pros

This company is focused on growing not only itself, but its employees as well. They hire friendly, smart, helpful, and legendary people. The senior management is knowledgeable and eager to see their team grow. In the year I have been here, out of an office of about 15-20 people, I've seen over 8 internal promotions.

Cons

As with any start up, there are frequent changes. But honestly what company does not require employees to be adaptable.

Keep doing what you are doing. Hire great people and promote within to encourage personal growth.

Exciting place and time to be a Sales Rep, a great opportunity.

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

Pros

This company's vision, product, and market position are fantastic, and we are poised to dominate the cloud BI marketplace. Analytics and Visualization/BI are a hot topic and will be for the next several years as a major business differentiator, rewarding the innovators and punishing the laggards.

Laid back dress code, telework, pre-IPO private company, and West Coast main office are perks. Working with *very* intelligent and capable engineers, designers, and services teams is a pleasure. Our product is a true innovator and leader when you cut through the marketing noise in our sector and get down to brass tacks and capabilities.

Pay and benefits are pretty generous from a post-startup SaaS business perspective and when you hit numbers you get significant accelerators. Performers are paid well.

Tips to prospective reps--be ready to work HARD, learn a lot on your own time and on your own accord to be smarter than your competition, and be very self-sustainable to succeed here. I have always worked in environments where I am handed/"gifted" nothing, which made my transition easy [and I don't consider this type of business environment a negative]. I am always astonished to see many sales candidates lying to themselves when they say they are capable of self-organization, work ethic, and motivation when in reality they are far from it.

Cons

Fast changing atmosphere, on-your-toes to get it done...some people don't like the lack of structure. For me it's not much of a con, but those coming from large corporations or accustomed to relying heavily on process/bureaucracy may find the lack of structure frustrating at times.

While the support is great from co-workers, inside teams, management and engineering, we are still a 'post startup' where nobody has time to hand hold and spoon feed you leads, information and intelligence. The tools are there, but you have to hone and wield them deftly without much coaching. If you are a farmer-type rep, the Sales Director role at GoodData is not for you [could be a pro or a con depending on your point of view].

Marketing/SEO could use some tweaking with getting more quality inbound leads.

Keep improving the platform, help push marketing above the fray and get more happy customers to shout our name from the mountaintops to help our growth continue.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

At a pivotal point...

Current Employee - Consulting Services  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consulting Services in San Francisco, CA

Pros

After working here for over a year, I can honestly echo most of the pros from other reviews:
    - The majority of the people on the ground here are smart, hard-working and driven to do their jobs well.
    - The product is great especially given the breadth and complexity of what we are trying to do. The full end to end stack aim requires deep technical expertise across many technologies. Although it may not be the best at everything, it does offer a robust and comprehensive cloud solution that from what I have seen from other BI vendors, can't be matched.
    - We work with big name customers across all different types of interesting use cases. I can honestly say that it would be hard to find another company where I could get the same type of exposure to executives and upper level managers from the most innovative tech companies to some of the biggest Fortune 2000 companies.

Cons

As many have noted here, senior management has really struggled over the last year or so to provide consistent vision and strategy. We have had a lot of turnover at the executive level and it has been difficult to stay focused if you work on the ground. With that being said, the company recently hired an amazing Chief People Officer and she has been working on turning things around.

Senior leadership has involved top talent across the organization to develop programs to improve many aspects of company culture and HR. For example, technical new hires receive two weeks of intensive training, many roles get assigned mentors, and the infrastructure for consistent and structured compensation and performance reviews is in development. Many of these initiatives are still a work in progress, but leadership seems to be focused on turning things around.

I disagree with many of the strongly worded assessments on this page. The CEO, like many CEOs, is very focused on driving the company forward. With that said, I have found him to be incredibly assessable as has all senior leaders at the company. When I identified a concern I had with the lack of direction I was receiving in my position, I created a proposal for how to turn things around and it was well received by the CEO, the CFO and the SVP of Services. We ended up implementing many of my suggestions and overall, I felt well supported.

There is still a lot of room for leadership to improve but I think many of the comments are unfair and are designed to throw bricks rather than provide constructive feedback or informative detail.

My advice to senior management is to carefully evaluate new executive and senior leaders who are brought into the organization. We cannot afford to continue to turn over leaders as it reduces morale across the organization and is enormously expensive to the org in many ways.

Also, I think the organization needs to quickly assess compensation for top performers and make sure that those people have well supported career paths and competitive compensation. Most of us receive offers from recruiters monthly if not weekly.

Finally, as much of the team (dev/ops and much of the product team) is based in the Czech Republic, we really need to focus on improving avenues of communication across the ocean. Invest more in bringing teams together using both technology and rotational programs.

Solving the World's difficult data challenges one Customer at a time

Current Employee - Account Management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management in San Francisco, CA

Pros

GoodData is really taking on the extremely difficult challenge in trying to solve and simplify the massive "Big Data" problems/issues most Enterprises are experiencing today. I have never worked with this many hardworking, intelligent people that are so driven by Customer Success. The speed of innovation (product), problem solving abilities (personnel), and overall recognized value to the customer is slim to none. In the end,
    "With great power comes great responsibility", and now that GoodData has established itself as the Bellwether "End to End" Cloud BI Solution, the bar has been set very high which means the margin for error is low. All and all I truly enjoyed my experience at GoodData and can validate that this is a great place to work.

Cons

Simply put, BI is a tough
        - If you can't get back on the horse when you fail
        - If you are unwilling to roll up your sleeves and grind it out when it gets difficult
    Then GoodData is not for you

- Continue to socialize your vision and stay steadfast in driving it forward.
    - There should be more time set aside to recognize and celebrate Individual's and the company's accomplishments.
    - Jonathan Cogan & Michael Gear Rock! A great pleasure working for them both.

Smoke and Mirrors

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

None really. I'm not seeing any

Cons

Total lack of strategic leadership, professional values, and total lack of commitment to the customer base. Management is in way over it's head

My advice to Senior management would be to replace yourselves with competence

GoodData has a great culture, has huge upside financial potential for a sales career and is a best in class solution.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

The people and leadership at GoodData are what made it a great place to work. They are highly professional, supportive with common sense and were there when you need them. You can have confidence in the products and solutions offered as well and the innovations being developed in engineering.

Cons

As with any startup you think like an owner to get things done and build process.

May 25, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for highlighting how fantastic the talent is at GoodData. We truly believe we work with the best and the brightest in the market, and our leaders are focused on empowering everyone to be as ... More

Top Technology in a Growth Industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

GoodData is a dynamic work environment in the ever expanding BI SAAS space. They are willing to promote and reward employees at anytime and even multiple times within the year. With the company growth and offices in Prague, Boston, San Francisco, and Portland they have many job opportunities at any time. The company has started the 2014 calendar year by investing heavily in company culture and a renewed marketing effort that I believe will lead to a strong company future. They honored my bonus plan even while I was leaving to pursue another opportunity. I respected this action very much.

Cons

As you would expect with a start-up environment in an evolving tech space... the rate of change was great! This included company direction, marketing approach, and product road map. You will need to be someone who can work with ever changing goals and objectives to be successful at GoodData.

Make 1 to 2 year decisions and see them through by continually focusing on them.

May 25, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for highlighting the company's focus on people and culture in 2014. We are committed to ensuring everyone at GoodData has the tools and support they need to be as successful as possible ... More

Grotesque lack of professionalism

Former Employee - Sales  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

Pros

Nice people who are caught up with the wrong company.

Cons

Leadership is more interested in booze, babes and strippers than in actually running a real company. Pay is appalling, reputation as a "chop shop" gets worse, not better. This is not a company you want to work for. It will be sold off soon, if it is not shut down for illegal and unconscionable business practices.

Go back to what you do best- booze, babes, strippers and hookers. Don't drag anyone else into this morass of juvenile mismanagement.

Apr 21, 2014Director, Inside Sales

As a leader in our company, I can unequivocally respond that this post is not aligned with either our values or our culture and not an accurate reflection of GoodData. We at GoodData have a zero ... More

A couple of bumps/missteps, but a lot of positive change helping the company move from "startup" to "enterprise" mode.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

GREAT PEOPLE - can't say that enough. Good workers and even better friends.

Strong product with good, viable market. Exciting to see actual accomplishments with real clients. The company/product is organized to move rapidly to solve issues, and we have a lot of creativity in-house to help find workable solutions.

The speed of innovation is unrivaled.

Lots of opportunity to provide value to the company and grow as a worker.

Location - heart of Financial District in S.F. One block from BART.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the reviews on here have valid points - lack of transparency and trust, mostly. Too many useful people are let go (fired, or quit), either from lack of understanding/awareness by senior management or from simply being overworked. There's a lot of work being done right now to fix this, and positive signs of recovery, but there have been a lot of bridges burned along the way.

A lot of this stems from a lack of on-boarding/structure, as well. If people aren't set up to thrive and don't have clear success criteria, they aren't going to meet the expectations of upper management.

Also, the vision has been somewhat inconsistent. If we're having the front line sell something, we can't completely change our path the next quarter, then revert back when it didn't show immediate results. I get that the landscape is dynamic and that we need to constantly be planning ahead, but we can't be a phoenix every quarter.

Be patient with dramatic shifts in vision - payoffs are (almost) never immediate.

Take better care of your seasoned, proven workers... they aren't just another body to throw under the bus if things aren't going as planned. Own your own mistakes.

While on the topic of losing workers, document/share information better, especially anything we can gather from someone leaving the company. First, it will set more people up for success, especially when on-boarding. Second, every single person hired has some impactful set of knowledge and information tied to them, even if it's a mistake they (or we) made while they worked for GoodData. We need to stop treating every departure as a break up - burning things to the ground and starting fresh is an irresponsible way of handling it.

Be real with your workers. The "everything's A-okay" façade can be much more worrisome than actually verbalizing that things aren't up to par.

Worked for GoodData? Contribute to the Community!