GoodData Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
63 reviews filtered by
4.1
Roman Stanek

Pros
  • There is a opportunity to travel and work in San Francisco (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, new technologies, challenging and turbulent environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very questionable ethics, and definately no clue about building company culture (in 4 reviews)

• The company did a good job of posting positive reviews to help hide the problems with Roman and senior management (in 4 reviews)

Awesome, Innovating & Challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I must admit I didn’t know what to expect working at GoodData given the mix of reviews. Now after working here for a little over 3 months I have been extremely impressed with management and the work environment. For me, I have noticed that satisfaction of placement and personal growth is a key concern with the employees they hire.

As for myself, I tend to be a workaholic (I love what I do). I literally will work day and night. Believe it or not, my manager (one of the VP’s) actually came up to me and told me to slow down so I don’t burn myself out! I will admit I was surprised to see they actually care. That’s what you get here at GoodData a family who looks out for one another and strives to help each other succeed.

If I can summarize what its like here at GoodData I would say, “Work hard, play hard”. There will be those times when days are challenging and your knee deep in work, but then there are these times where we have company outings, weekly walks, happy hour, free lunch, company parties, events that not only give us a sense of community but help remind us that life isn’t all about work, its about balance.

GoodData to me means good friends, good people and a good life.

Cons

I wish they had a 401K match that would take them off the chart! Another would be tuition reimbursement for those who would like further eduction.

Advice to Management

I see many changes going on. Constant and evolving improvement. Keep it up!

Marketing Department Manager.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is so alive. It's in one of the best places that I've ever worked for during my career in marketing. The executive team is very approachable and listens to employee feedback. It is truly a teaming environment.

Cons

It is very fast pace - if you do not have Start-Up DNA. You will not like it here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Listening, teaching, collaborating, and being great mentors!

Great product, company,team, culture - no real order.

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData

Pros

There are few places one can choose to work in the enterprise analytics space that bring together - great culture, team, product and vision. Having worked at other places in my career, I can say that the vision of this fast growing company is setting it apart from the competition to become the single greatest Insights as a Service company in the enterprise analytics space. The company leadership across all organizations- product, sales, engineering, services- share a consistent and clear vision to make GoodData the leading Insights-as-a-Service company. Great values, work/life balance, and growth opportunities within the company

Cons

Go to Market focus has been a key topic in the company in the past which held back some of the stellar growth. Now, with the cohesive alignment across organizations and leadership, there is clear and visible results between product, GTM and sales execution. A great feat!

Advice to Management

Continue to laser focus to execute Insights as a Service

Savvy leadership, burgeoning space, great opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership
    The leadership team at GoodData is a key reason I’m excited for both the company's future and my own. I am actually blown away sometimes by how simultaneously shrewd and accessible GoodData’s executives are compared to my past employers. Specifically around understanding why decisions are made in each part of the org, and the how outcomes are measured to optimize overall performance.

The People & Culture
    The biggest differentiator at GoodData is reinforced for me every day: The sheer number of driven, intelligent and fun people I work with. There has been a shift in culture over the past year towards talent that knows how to work smart and have fun outside the office. Credit to recruiting for finding exceptional candidates to fill new roles and and our chief people officer for promoting a great work/life balance to attract and keep them.

Career Growth
    I have had a decent number of managers over my career, and the one I report to now tops the list. He’s extremely bright, fun to learn from, and actually cares about my personal career goals, even if one doesn’t necessarily jive well with my current responsibilities. He actively works to create the opportunities that I am looking for to be most visible/valuable to the company. He typifies management at GoodData.

Other Good Stuff
    The product is a game changer, experience working globally with our Prague and Brno offices, input is actually taken seriously in the org

Cons

Limited Oversight
    Compared to previous employers (mostly in Consulting), there are fewer check-ins and QA for the work I produce. There isn’t time for micromanaging, and I have seen people fail because they don’t work well independently.

Cliche technology company growing pains
     - Occasional “too many hats” problem, constantly new recs out to address this.
     - Sometimes difficult to say “no" to new work when there are tons of cool opportunities outside my core focus.
     - Lots of responsibilities sometimes makes it difficult to prioritize the most beneficial opportunities for the company, team, and my career.
     - Epitomizes results and merit-based advancement; some people find this cutthroat

Advice to Management

401k matching. I know the alternative means more money in my pocket, more competitive salary offers, etc., but it should be a standard. It can also be an attractive benefit for prospective employees - Even if it’s only 1.5x matching up to like 2%, that’s a good start.

I know it's not as green as soda stream, but bring back the perrier!

The people are what make the company great!

I have been working at GoodData

Pros

Highly talented and motivated people - love working with such a talented team. There is also a dedicated People Ops team, recently put together, to really cater to the employee's needs and benefits.

Cons

A lot of process is still being put into place, but that's pretty normal for a company growing quickly. But the teams are ever so slowly coming together and acting as one - so it's a really cool time to be working here and seeing the company grow.

Advice to Management

I think upper management has been working very hard in the recent months to really drive employee engagement and satisfaction. Like I said, the company really cares for it's employees and senior management has definitely started taking the steps to cater to the employees.

Fast-paced, smart people, getting into a groove

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData full-time

Pros

People are really smart.
    The product is very good, though it does have its weaknesses as well, but it's cutting edge technology, which can be good and bad.
    They train you well. They bring in smart people and other smart people teach you cool stuff.
    Fast paced. Get things done.

Cons

The agile methodology seems to pervade the whole company, including dealing with people issues. Things are implemented relatively quickly and different initiatives are tried and evaluated quarterly, annually etc. What this means is that there are some quick wins but it might not actually solve root issues of why people are discontent or why people keep leaving the company for other opportunities. It's a shame, because the product is good and the people are smart, but for some reason, people keep choosing to leave for various reasons, and if this is not solved, it's going to be painful for company.

Advice to Management

Find out how to keep people. And it's not about "appearing" to care about people. You have to really care.

GoodData has been great

I have been working at GoodData

Pros

I am five months in with GoodData and while not everything is perfect it is a great place to work. There are many smart, positive people who care deeply about our customers. Contrary to some of the other commenters (who sound negative to me) I see great transparency and a real willingness for people to work collaboratively. It's been great. I like our chances and I see a continued positive improvement in the culture.

Cons

We are a typical software company that is in build mode. This is not for the weak hearted. You either like to build or not.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out and engage. Keep up the efforts!

Exceptional people driving towards extraordinary goals

Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoodData full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training: As their office manager, they still let me participate in their new-hire "bootcamp" so that I could learn as much as possible about their product. When you work at GoodData, and you want to learn more about any facet of the company, all you have to do is ask.
    The people: Everyone who has been hired since I started here has been absolutely top notch. Incredibly supportive, friendly, motivational, talented. The best in the business.
    The flexibility: Management is always so encouraging of their employees to find new ways to do anything, and can be very hands-off if need be. Or, if you want support on a new idea, they will always have your back.

Cons

Direction: Sometime it can feel like there are different messages or expectations coming from some of the upper management.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are all on the same page when it comes to the way you motive, encourage, and give direction to your employees. Conflicting or counter-intuitive statements/requests can make it seem like you are disjointed in your vision.

Nov 24, 2014Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback - Training, Onboarding and Career Development has been a key area of focus for us and its encouraging to hear that this is making a difference. I also agree that we have a ... More

Looks good on the outside, but the inside is a rotten core

Former Employee - Solutions Architect
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect

I worked at GoodData full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Product is great
    - My team was great, full of smart and hard-working people
    - A lot of autonomy in my work
    - Free lunch once a week

I loved everything that was involving my team and immediate co-workers. That's pretty much it.

Cons

Felt very disconnected with the rest of the company. Senior leadership is practically non-existent. Our department works the hardest and gets paid the lowest. Lot of talk about IPO but it's just talk.

Advice to Management

Really ironic when you have TRANSPARENCY on the wall as one of our core values.... there's nothing transparent. Where's our funding going towards? When are we IPOing? Are we ever going to IPO?

Dec 23, 2014CFO

I appreciate that employees look forward to an IPO. This is a culmination of all the hard work everyone puts in. Providing a firm IPO date is hard given that companies need to do a fair bit of work ... More

Leadership makes for a not-so-pleasant work environment

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoodData full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- get a lot of experience fast
    - smart people to work with in consulting, support, engineering and finance
    - working with Prague guys, they're the best

Cons

- everyone is over-worked and burnt out fast ie high turnover
    - not enough employee appreciation or acknowledgement
    - the arrogance of the leadership team propagates to everyone's general attitude at work
    - vision changes every quarter, inconsistent company goals

Advice to Management

The attitude of the company comes from the top. A good company culture can't be supported if management isn't on board and reflecting those same values of transparency, valuing people, etc.

Nov 21, 2014Employee

Thank you for your response. Over the past year we as a leadership team have made significant investment in our people practices and culture and it is gratifying to see that services attrition is ... More