GoodLife Fitness

Be The First To
Add Photos

GoodLife Fitness CEO & Founder David Patchell-Evans

David Patchell-Evans

Pros:
  • "Free gym membership, fun atmosphere, nice co-workers, some flexibility"
    in 7 reviews
  • "free gym membership, and that's about it"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Easy to loose sight of work/life balance and work long hours"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Long hours when starting, unhelpful management, no guidance, no pay for consultation hours, etc), company is greedy"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fitness Manager

Fitness Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsGoodlife is temporarily place to work, your career path will be there very short, all base on sale, no sale for a month then you are out of game, find another job,

ConsGood life use employee as a tissue, one time use.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employee

Has a lot of similarities to a Cult ie brainwashing and script. Do not take this company seriously, very unprofessional.

Personal Trainer (Former Employee)
Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsAs a Personal Trainer you can make your own schedule. No other Pros...

ConsIn the first 3 months you have to memorize many scripts and you are expected to be there even if you don't have any Clients booked. You have to hussle and harrass the members ALL the time. The members get sick of it and try to avoid you every time they see you. Very long hours. You are micromanaged to the Nth degree. Staff meetings are a joke. Club Management is not qualified and District Management is the least qualified. CEO has no clue what is going on at the Club level, he just looks at dollar signs at the end of each week. If you and your club do not produce enough you will be harrassed by the Fitness Manager and District Manger. They love making threats. They lie to you about how much money you can make. Personal Trainers don't make enough to live on. Most of the money they charge for their services goes straight to head office and David Patchell-Evans(Owner/CEO) gets rich. Most Trainers have to have a second part time job to survive so that means working 55 hours per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe general public pay alot of money to join and pay alot for a personal trainer. They do not get what they paid for. Salaries need to be more competitive and when that happens you will get some competent management. Until then nothing will change. GoodLife has one of the worst reputations out there.

Great opportunity to meet people from various backgrounds

Personal Trainer (Current Employee)
Kingston, ON (Canada)

I have been working at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUnlimited potential for helping people get healthier

ConsSetting up client base requires you to work long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementAuthenticity is respected

I enjoyed working at Extreme. Good people providing a valuable service to our members.

Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHelping people take better care of themselves is a worthwhile endeavour.

ConsSome of the management decisions were not in the best interest of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more member service oriented.

Long hours, low pay, little fulfillment

Personal Trainer (Former Employee)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsPotentially very flexible hours and high pay, free gym access

ConsLong hours when starting, unhelpful management, no guidance, no pay for consultation hours, etc), company is greedy.

great part time work for students

Motivator (Former Employee)
Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsFree gym memberships, great part time work for students, comfortable uniforms, and supportive environment. Everyone has common interests due to lifestyle (working in a gym).

ConsManagement is hit and miss. Often great people but lacking leadership and experience at club level. Associates are promoted based on sales and time within the organization not managerial qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage in leadership and HR training club level management.

Enjoyable work, however not for everyone

General Manager/Fitness Manager (Current Employee)
Stratford, ON (Canada)

I have been working at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorked in nearly every club level position for GL. All performance based - which has been a double edged sword
Good commission potential for the right person

ConsCompany promotes too quickly, and promotes best sales people, not necessarily best leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down company growth. Culture is becoming watered down, along with the level of service we're being asked to deliver.

sales driven company

Fitness Trainer (Former Employee)
Guelph, ON (Canada)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Prosaggressive associates do well
opportunities to sell with volume of traffic

Consit's not about helping members live the goodlife. It's about the company making money.
Not for everyone

Advice to Senior Managementtone down sales pitch. Live by your values

varies

Fitness Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at GoodLife Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsFree Membership
Lots of opportunities to grow.

ConsGoing above and beyond your job isnt always the reason you get promoted. You have to act like a goodlife junkie and basically pretend to be someone you are not to get noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out more often from associates how they feel about the management, not just a once a year review of them.

Unfortunate what they have become

Membership Coordinator (Former Employee)
Sarnia, ON (Canada)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time for less than a year

ProsGood salary if sales goals are met.
Room for advancement
TSN is usually visible during the majority of your shift.

ConsBottom line is only thing that matters with Goodlife. I am very passionate about fitness and helping people and was initially excited about working for Goodlife. However it took me less then a week to realize I was simply there to collect as many bank account numbers as possible and sell expensive generic "personal training" sessions that paid the personal trainers peanuts. The program for the first few months is exactly the same for all new members, so I use the word "personal" very loosely here.

The sales tactics they teach are manipulative and coercive. The staff turnover was incredible due to pressure from management to hit targets. I lasted 6 months and saw 5 others come and go in my small club in that time period. When goals are not met "punishment" by management is handed out, feels very much like public school.

Overall, very disappointed with what should be a great Canadian fitness company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on member retention, not simply trying to sell hundreds of memberships each month to replace the hundreds of cancelled memberships.

Offer options that reward employees and provide a good price point for customers for various contract terms, not only the vaunted one year contract.

Lower personal training prices and contract lengths. Let trainers train, do not employ them as sales people. Increase personal trainer rates in order to provide incentive to stay and grow a business. You will see short term loss, however gain a much stronger brand loyalty due to better customer and employee satisfactions.

If this is actually forwarded to Goodlife mangement, feel free to allow them to contact me at the email I have provided for this account.

Worked for GoodLife Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GoodLife Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GoodLife Fitness CEO David Patchell-Evans. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by GoodLife Fitness employees.