Goodgame Studios

Updated January 16, 2015
4.1

Goodgame Studios CEO Kai Wawrzinek
Kai Wawrzinek

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, lots of perks like free food & drink, subsidised sports and catering (in 4 reviews)

• There is a great working environment, the people is really friendly, and from management are always preparing events for the enjoyment of the workers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a challange to grow as fast as the company is growing without losing the overiew of the business and its organisation (in 2 reviews)

• The (free to play) games that are being developed there are not creative at all and just designed to take as much money from the customers as possible (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A Good time

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time

Pros

Very good and friendly atmosphere, no dress code, benefits like cereal, drinks and other. Many events.

Cons

The salary could be higher as Hamburg is quite an expensive city, mainly as it comes to accommodation.

Intransparent recruiting process

I worked at Goodgame Studios

Pros

Company with a strong growth and therefore plenty of job offers in various departments. However, growth is financed by venture capitalists and not by current profits.

Cons

The recruiting process is completely intransparent. It seems to be luck to be selected for an interview, even if you fulfill all the requirements. No feedback will be provided.

Worst working experience of my entire career!

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great company to do a intership, due to the fact that most its workforce are interns. Good people and working culture.

Cons

GGS hires staff with no games working experience, so they can pay low wages. People with gaming experience do not last because they make them train their interns. After somet ransfer of their knowhow has occur, they fire them, because is cheaper to pay a semitrained intern than a professional. The people that are "well paid" are constantly remided of how much they earned and how great it to work there.

Get some balls and take some resposibility for your decisions. Always blaming your errors on your staff will get nowhere. Take some business management classes, you need them.

Hire and Fire

I worked at Goodgame Studios full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Young and fun team.
    - Company events, sport offers and other benefits are attractive especially for young people.

Cons

- Everyday work in hire and fire environment.
    - Hard to get support from team leader.
    - Many employee are unmotivated to stay although they want to do the best for the company.

Jan 23, 2015Recruitment / Staff

Dear colleague,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your former job at Goodgame Studios. We are happy to know that you enjoyed working with the fun team and appreciated the
    ... More

The perfect job (after some tiny changes ;)

Current Employee - Business Intelligence in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seriously, every morning when I get up, I am happy to go to work. The jobs @ goodgamestudios are highly interesting (and entertaining), all coworkers are young (or at least stayed young in their mind), dedicated, and want to change things together for the better and "go forward".
    The teams are fun to work with, and everyone is easygoing and highly approachable (may it be a "normal" worker, a Lead, Head or even the Management).
    Coming from science, I was originally hesitant to work here, but most of these prejudices were completely without a reason.

Cons

some conditions are still too much those of a startup-company...

Keep everything as is, but slightly change the working conditions away from that of a startup-company ;).

Fake 4-5 Stars reviews, dystopian company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The big name of the company is looking good in the resume
    - good parties
    - good offices, working spaces
    - free coffee, milk, serials, 2 times per week fruits
    - no crunching
    - great colleagues

Cons

Well first of all, it is actually obvious that most of the 4 to 5 stars reviews are just the HR dogs and management to keep the overall rate good looking.

I am working in the Art Pool together with the concept art guys and the 3d artists, so this review is more art related, but same things are going on in the other departments. How do I know? Because friends and colleagues are talking to each other.

- First and important thing is, some of the art department leads are super unreliable, promising you what you wanna hear but never holding to his promises. If he does not like somebody because of personal reasons, he tries to ruin this persons career, a few cases are known among colleagues. This is unprofessional and incompetent. Our motivation now is lower then ever, because there are many immoral unsaid things going on.

- On our Xmas party one of the CEOs had a great speech, where he told us that Goodgame Studios is not a bubble, don't listen to all the gossips outside the company, we are great! But because of the unsuccessful projects they started to have some financial problems we believe and started to think where they can save money. Without warning they just rejected one of our colleagues and didn't want to extend his contract even though he did a good job, which is immoral too. This was not the only case. So, GGS is a bubble.

- They do not listen to the employees, doing their own thing and it turns out to be ..... not good. How can you copy one of your own games, changing the visual art direction and hope that it is also gonna be successful???

- Many good guys are leaving this company, because of all this cons.

- Low, very low salaries for art related jobs (can also be in other departments). Why are you thinking that if we like to do art, it is our hobby, and we are ready to do it for free?? No, we don't!!! Just because we love what we do, it does not mean that we are gonna paint pretty pictures or sculpt 3d characters for free!

- The management is not really competent, making strange decisions and hiring incompetent people and the guys who are competent are just used on low pay and low positions.
    - Intransparent recruiting process.

- "You are just a number, anyone can be replaced" is the main politics of this company.

- boring tasks.

If you are gonna criticize something or gonna give some bad feedback, you can be fired, so it is like in a dystopian regime, where they have pretty trailers, advertising and fake smiles but underneath you are insecure and play fake politeness and happiness.

I would never recommend Goodgame Studios to a friend or someone else, because you are just getting abused for low pay and boring tasks.

No advises.
    The CEOs are so rich, they probably don't care about employees. Also, it does not matter if you give advices because the management is not gonna consider it anyway.

I hope I could help some artist, who concidered to join GGS.

Jan 16, 2015Recruitment / Staff

Dear colleague,

Thank you very much for taking the time to summarize and evaluate your impression of your job at Goodgame Studios.
    We are really sorry to hear that you currently have a bad
    ... More

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Marketing in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am really proud to be a part of Goodgame Studios. A lot of great benefits, nice colleagues and I love Hamburg.

Cons

Actually there is not a big con. Sometimes you have too many meetings and the chairs could be better.

I like the management, but sometimes they could be more outgoing.

Nov 19, 2014Recruitment / Staff

Dear colleague,

Thank you for your great feedback about your workplace at Goodgame Studios.

We are delighted that you like the good cooperative atmosphere and the benefits we offer to all our
    ... More

Business-minded, great HR team, low wages

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

I worked at Goodgame Studios as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very good management in my department but possibly less good in others
    Senior management are very careful, do not take risks, are playing the long game
    Friendly start-up culture (ish), interesting things happening

Cons

Not very adventurous in terms of the games.
    Run by businessmen, not gamers, and it shows
    Many people there complain of low wages compared to other employers in the industry.
    Sometimes chaotic as the company adjusts to taking on so many new employees.

Keep doing the same thing in terms of keeping your employees happy.

Good Job, not great

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time

Pros

- Awesome Team
    - Good Culture and Spirut
    - Seems like they are doing fine and the jobs seem secure

Cons

- Often random decision making by management and executives
    - Work is really focused, not too much freedom for own ideas or variety in tasks
    - Not a lot of Holidays, at best average pay, no benefits

Trust your Employees more, give them more freedom, listen to them
    Pay them better

Dec 15, 2014Recruitment / Staff

Dear colleague,

Thank you very much for taking the time go give feedback on jour job at Goodgame Studios. I am glad to hear that you like the great team and corporate culture we have here.
    You

Great team!

Current Employee - Localization Manager in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Localization Manager in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Of course the perks are great (free breakfast, great sport offer, workshops, after-work beer...), the job is very exciting and I love having the change to try out new things everyday. But in the end, the team is what makes the difference. Goodgame still feels like a big team, even if we've already reached the 1k employees.

Cons

Working at Goodgame Studios can be challenging, because the company grows really fast. I love the dynamic environment and facing new challenges every day, but I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea.