Goodgame Studios Reviews

62 reviews filtered by
3.8
Goodgame Studios CEO Kai Wawrzinek
Kai Wawrzinek

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, lots of perks like free food & drink, subsidised sports and catering (in 4 reviews)

• There is a great working environment, the people is really friendly, and from management are always preparing events for the enjoyment of the workers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a challange to grow as fast as the company is growing without losing the overiew of the business and its organisation (in 2 reviews)

• The (free to play) games that are being developed there are not creative at all and just designed to take as much money from the customers as possible (in 2 reviews)

A Good time

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time

Pros

Very good and friendly atmosphere, no dress code, benefits like cereal, drinks and other. Many events.

Cons

The salary could be higher as Hamburg is quite an expensive city, mainly as it comes to accommodation.

Not a game developer, but a business that happens to make games on the side.

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Goodgame Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free cereal, fruit on Monday and Wednesday and drinks after work (used to be pretty much unlimited, but quantity and hours have been cut progressively).

- Flexible working hours, 10 to 5 base and the freedom to add hours to reach 40 hours per week (unless when you're in QA). The company does not keep close track of this and largely trusts you to work the hours you are paid for.

- Company parties are amazing and you get 20 euro per person per quarter for team events.

- Very loose dress code, room for individuality.

- Quality hires, at least in my team (see below for internal promotions).

- Very flexible and fair when it comes to personal wishes. Special vacation requests for example, getting time off in advance, were possible for me.

Cons

The biggest caveat you have to keep in mind when considering this company, is that it is run (very successfully from a financial point of view) by a dentist and a lawyer. They could have been selling insulation material and the company would not be all that different. Marketing, sales and PR are by far the most important teams, and a lot of issues stem from that.

- No flat hierarchies. Despite what is still being said during interviews, there is a serious level of overhead you will battle. You talk to your project manager, who talks to the first, who talks to the lead, who talks to the team lead, who talks to the department lead, who talks to ... If you're lucky people are actually talking, but it might all go through Jira tickets. Trying to skip one of those levels could get you in trouble.

- For a company that is 100% privately owned, it is run as though there are outside investors. With games that have zero hype built around them, it makes little sense that you let marketing dictate a release date and that teams end up working on Saturday. On that note, poor planning seems to be a common occurrence in general. Ideas become critical overnight only to be cancelled again when fully implemented two weeks later. Breaking releases of tools the company relies on get announced months in advance, but it gets ignored until the games stop working.

- Good old boys club when it comes to management. Though they advertise with the company being multicultural, once you reach a certain level you need to be white, male and German speaking. Yes there are exceptions, but they are just that.

- Internal promotions are questionable at times. I've seen more than one person get bumped up to a position they would never have been hired for if they weren't dating someone higher up, or were grandfathered into the company.

- Poor communication skills from the top down. Major decisions that affect entire teams are taken without any input from the relevant parties and nothing is shared until the last second. Any available information comes from office gossip. Failed projects are swept under the rug without a proper retrospective, so the same mistakes are made over and over again.

- Every decision is based on tracking data. This makes sense in many ways, but also kills the creative process of game design and development. No one seems to listen to actual customer needs and wants. The value of a feature is purely defined by weekly spreadsheets that list the amount of paying users.

Advice to Management

You proudly proclaimed that "the company does not hire *ssholes" at one of the company parties. Several women would disagree with that, and it's disgraceful that being high enough up on the corporate ladder gets you this kind of protection. Any other employee would be fired immediately (and rightfully so). I doubt that this is the reputation you want your company to have.

Poor Customer Service

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place if you are under 40 and don't mind taking advantage of other people - primarily your customers

Cons

The company consistently turns a blind eye to the requests and needs of the majority of the customers. Catering to deep pocket players and lying to investors is part of the daily routine.

Advice to Management

Be honest and do the right thing!!!

Intransparent recruiting process

I worked at Goodgame Studios

Pros

Company with a strong growth and therefore plenty of job offers in various departments. However, growth is financed by venture capitalists and not by current profits.

Cons

The recruiting process is completely intransparent. It seems to be luck to be selected for an interview, even if you fulfill all the requirements. No feedback will be provided.

Worst working experience of my entire career!

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to do a intership, due to the fact that most its workforce are interns. Good people and working culture.

Cons

GGS hires staff with no games working experience, so they can pay low wages. People with gaming experience do not last because they make them train their interns. After somet ransfer of their knowhow has occur, they fire them, because is cheaper to pay a semitrained intern than a professional. The people that are "well paid" are constantly remided of how much they earned and how great it to work there.

Advice to Management

Get some balls and take some resposibility for your decisions. Always blaming your errors on your staff will get nowhere. Take some business management classes, you need them.

Still awesome!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great culture & great people
    - The perfect mix between professionalism and fun
    - A solid & realistic Management vision
    - The GGS Work-Life-Balance and Benefits fit perfect for a father like me (Kindergarten is in the same building as the company)

Cons

- No office in the USA yet. Had to move to Germany.

Advice to Management

Keep on going. You're doing a great job!

Great employer!

Current Employee - Sales in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Sales in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- nice working athmosphere and very talented and friendly colleagues
    - really rapid advancement possibilities
    - possibility to implement your own ideas
    - very successful and fast developing company
    - flat hierarchies and a lot of decision- making scope

Cons

- sometimes it is a little bit too loud because of big office areas
    - there are not enough meeting rooms available

Advice to Management

They are doing a very good job and I think the company will develop in a very good way in the future as well.

Hire and Fire

I worked at Goodgame Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Young and fun team.
    - Company events, sport offers and other benefits are attractive especially for young people.

Cons

- Everyday work in hire and fire environment.
    - Hard to get support from team leader.
    - Many employee are unmotivated to stay although they want to do the best for the company.

Goodgame Studios Response

Jan 23, 2015Recruitment / Staff

Dear colleague,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your former job at Goodgame Studios. We are happy to know that you enjoyed working with the fun team and appreciated the
    ... More

The perfect job (after some tiny changes ;)

Current Employee - Business Intelligence in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seriously, every morning when I get up, I am happy to go to work. The jobs @ goodgamestudios are highly interesting (and entertaining), all coworkers are young (or at least stayed young in their mind), dedicated, and want to change things together for the better and "go forward".
    The teams are fun to work with, and everyone is easygoing and highly approachable (may it be a "normal" worker, a Lead, Head or even the Management).
    Coming from science, I was originally hesitant to work here, but most of these prejudices were completely without a reason.

Cons

some conditions are still too much those of a startup-company...

Advice to Management

Keep everything as is, but slightly change the working conditions away from that of a startup-company ;).

Fake 4-5 Stars reviews, dystopian company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Goodgame Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The big name of the company is looking good in the resume
    - good parties
    - good offices, working spaces
    - free coffee, milk, serials, 2 times per week fruits
    - no crunching
    - great colleagues

Cons

Well first of all, it is actually obvious that most of the 4 to 5 stars reviews are just the HR dogs and management to keep the overall rate good looking.

I am working in the Art Pool together with the concept art guys and the 3d artists, so this review is more art related, but same things are going on in the other departments. How do I know? Because friends and colleagues are talking to each other.

- First and important thing is, some of the art department leads are super unreliable, promising you what you wanna hear but never holding to his promises. If he does not like somebody because of personal reasons, he tries to ruin this persons career, a few cases are known among colleagues. This is unprofessional and incompetent. Our motivation now is lower then ever, because there are many immoral unsaid things going on.

- On our Xmas party one of the CEOs had a great speech, where he told us that Goodgame Studios is not a bubble, don't listen to all the gossips outside the company, we are great! But because of the unsuccessful projects they started to have some financial problems we believe and started to think where they can save money. Without warning they just rejected one of our colleagues and didn't want to extend his contract even though he did a good job, which is immoral too. This was not the only case. So, GGS is a bubble.

- They do not listen to the employees, doing their own thing and it turns out to be ..... not good. How can you copy one of your own games, changing the visual art direction and hope that it is also gonna be successful???

- Many good guys are leaving this company, because of all this cons.

- Low, very low salaries for art related jobs (can also be in other departments). Why are you thinking that if we like to do art, it is our hobby, and we are ready to do it for free?? No, we don't!!! Just because we love what we do, it does not mean that we are gonna paint pretty pictures or sculpt 3d characters for free!

- The management is not really competent, making strange decisions and hiring incompetent people and the guys who are competent are just used on low pay and low positions.
    - Intransparent recruiting process.

- "You are just a number, anyone can be replaced" is the main politics of this company.

- boring tasks.

If you are gonna criticize something or gonna give some bad feedback, you can be fired, so it is like in a dystopian regime, where they have pretty trailers, advertising and fake smiles but underneath you are insecure and play fake politeness and happiness.

I would never recommend Goodgame Studios to a friend or someone else, because you are just getting abused for low pay and boring tasks.

Advice to Management

No advises.
    The CEOs are so rich, they probably don't care about employees. Also, it does not matter if you give advices because the management is not gonna consider it anyway.

I hope I could help some artist, who concidered to join GGS.

Goodgame Studios Response

Jan 16, 2015Recruitment / Staff

Dear colleague,

Thank you very much for taking the time to summarize and evaluate your impression of your job at Goodgame Studios.
    We are really sorry to hear that you currently have a bad
    ... More