Goodman Manufacturing

Updated September 14, 2014
2.7

Charles A. Carroll
1 Rating

Pros
  • Located in Houston TX; high growth city (in 3 reviews)

• Good people to work with out in the plant (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is cold and heartless toward the employees, even the floor supervisors (in 5 reviews)

• like all factories hot nasty and more drama (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Just a paycheck

Current Employee - Hourly Employee  in  Fayetteville, TN
    Current Employee - Hourly Employee in Fayetteville, TN

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's a paycheck and insurance in a time when both are scarce. Good people to work with out in the plant.

Cons

The plant is run like a prison. Upper management is cold and heartless toward the employees, even the floor supervisors. Mistakes result in firing. There is no communication at all there other than rumors. There is a huge turnover there. They hire large numbers in the spring and then lay them off in the fall. It takes years to gain enough seniority to escape this routine.

Most of the equipment is old and some machines are unsafe. Overhead cranes behave erratically but are never inspected or repaired. There is a large hole in the side of the building where a large die fell through it - thank goodness no one was on the other side when it fell. The hole was made a couple of years ago and is still covered by a tarp. The maintenance folks are constantly patching breakdowns because management will not spend the money to fix things right. The parts we handle have huge burrs on the edges and we can easily get some pretty nasty cuts. If anything happens you'll take a drug test and will be fired if anything shows up. Then it's up to you to prove your innocence to an indifferent and uncaring management.

The company was sold a few months ago and hopefully things will begin to change there. However, the same management is still there with the same hostility toward the employees. Nothing has changed so far, and most have lost hope for it too.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's just that simple.

Growth and Possibilities

Current Employee - Warranty Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Warranty Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability to work with other departments and learn their functions and how it affects your duties in the process. Always hire from within before moving to outsource is a plus!

Cons

The only thing that I found as a nuisance is that at times the job functions becomes monotonous if you let it.

Stand behind your subordinates in time of need.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

Pros

-You get paid on time
    -Your job is secure (they can't fire anyone because the turnover is so great)
    -Most of the people (non-management) you work with are nice and helpful

Cons

-Non-competitive pay, no career advancement, no leadership from senior management
    -Not a people centered culture - it's all about getting work out the door and "value engineering" (nickel and diming the products to the point of poor quality.)
    -No incenitives for hard workers (no bonus, profit sharing, etc.) so people aren't invested in their work.
    -Constant turnover at all levels of organization - only mediocre "talent" remains, and it shows in the work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They are cheap and care nothing for their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fayetteville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, TN

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a job, but you earn your pay

Cons

Pay does not compensate for the work expected of you
    Supervisors and upper management show you no respect at all, some will cuss you
    Company has no interest in the community
    Expects you to work overtime at last minute without any warning
    Company has no respect for employee's family

Realize that the employees provide the means for your salary not the other way around...if we didn't bust our butts, then who would? Surely not you!

The Rich get Richer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Big company, so your job is relatively safe
    -Decent benefits
    -Good diversity
    -Casual Friday

Cons

-No bonuses unless you're upper management
    -Low compensation in comparison to other companies
    -Things are done one way, don't try to change them. You will be frowned upon.
    -They will promise you one thing, and if they give it to you (like they did me because it was the one thing I negotiated when I came on board, and it wasn't my compensation), don't be surprised if it is taken away shortly thereafter (like they did me)
    -They limit your internet time. They call it "quota time". You get (6) 10 minute intervals on the internet on non work related sites each day. Social networking sites, and many others, are completely disallowed.
    -Management will come and go as they please. I would constantly get there at 7, 7:30 or 8 and leave at 5 or later. The managers will get there at 8:30, 9 or later and leave no later than 5 every day.
    -Management will receive additional perks on top of bonuses, such as parking, trips/vacations, offices, unlimited quota time (see above), consistent raises, and promotions. Do not expect to receive any of this.
    -In the years I was there, I never received a bonus or raise, despite working hundreds of hours of overtime.

Have more respect and appreciation for the non-management employees. Reward hard work and effort instead of assuming working for Goodman is enough of a reward. Instead of giving tens of millions of dollars to a few, already rich, people, divide some of it between the thousands that would appreciate a very small bonus more than you realize.

And I Gave My All and almost five years.

Former Employee - Worked Various Positions  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Worked Various Positions in Houston, TX

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The seem to be permanent but temporary pay!!!!!

Cons

I worked for this company for almost five years and gave everything I had to this company. One month and a few days from five years they decided to terminate me and use my absence (not technically a absence) as a excuse when I was being sent home due to the lack of work. They even had me working many positions from leak tester, coil repair, bender and the list goes on. They fired me and made me look bad instead of just owning up. You would think they would feel bad after letting you go but then they kick you in the butt with the lies. Five years and a bad reference. There is a man upstairs and this business won't get to far too long. I understand the economy went bad and making $17 a hour I was one of many they let go. It is no secret why but why lie. The sad thing is this company has no care for their employess, had they been concerned they would have thought about all the people they let go and their families. Please do not trust this company and think you can make career with them. They are hiring people and when they get to a certain pay they terminate and find someone else through the temp. agency.

This have been the most positive and rewarding job experience I have had in recent years.

Former Employee - Consumer Affairs  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consumer Affairs in Houston, TX

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The most important thing to remember is there is no excessive micromanaging there. Everyone is responsible for their work and the level of professionalism is outstanding.

Cons

I can only say that I wish it would have lasted longer.

Horrible Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A paycheck until you can find something else.

Cons

Oh my. Where to start? Executive team arrogant and incredibly greedy, only interested in achieving the plan to make their bonuses at any and all cost. No respect or appreciation for employees or customers. Unreasonable expectations. Every day is a fire drill.

Take your mountain of money and quit destroying what used to be a good company.

This company doesn't care about its' employees and their employees hate working there - me included.

Current Employee - Production Worker  in  Dayton, TN
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Dayton, TN

I have been working at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want lots of overtime, this is the place for you.

The work isn't hard.

Coworkers are nice and helpful.

Seems they care about safety.

Cons

This place doesn't care about its' employees. I have been there only a few days as a temp and have been told by 3 people that have worked there for a while that I won't want to work there. No coworker I've spoke with likes working for Goodman.

The temp service lied to me about the number of hours and days of work to get me to work there (the shift I'm on works 7 10 hour shifts with no days off).

The base pay isn't enough (Other companies in the area pay better).

Its' hot. No AC in an AC production plant.

The hours and days are long.

They can't keep employees so they have a very high turnover and everybody is shorthanded.

Some employees were temp employees for a very long time...years even. This is not fair, especially with how hard jobs are to come by these days, people need job security.

Pay your employees better. Maybe have profit-sharing or employee ownership via stock options. Get your employees involved in your company. Listen to your employees. Care about your employees.

Very Good Company to work with

Former Employee - Furnace  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Furnace in Houston, TX

I worked at Goodman Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people who are knowledgable int he industry

Cons

Micromanaged personal that did not enhance growthe

Worked for Goodman Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!