Goodrich Quality Theaters Reviews

1. brownsburg 8

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brownsburg, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brownsburg, IN

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fairly easy first job. The popcorn tasted great too. The managers were cool as long as you did what they asked.

Cons

They only gave shifts on the weekends and the shifts were sometimes cut short. You weren't aloud to use your phone at all.

Advice to Management

To let phone use , to give weekday shifts, to pay more, don't schedule someone if you're going to cut them, and don't hire bad workers.

2. Great starter job

Former Employee - Staffer in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Staffer in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This movie theater was a great place to work while I was in college. There are enough staff members to make your schedule more flexible for classes. You have an opportunity to work with a lot of fun energetic people (mostly high school and college aged kids). You don't need any experience to start off as a staff member.

Cons

The last movie starts around midnight, which means you may not leave until 3 a.m. or 4 a.m. on some nights. This business is busier on the weekends, so your social life suffers a little. You're on your feet all day.

3. Been here for 5 years

Current Employee - V Year Staff Veteran in Portage, IN
    Current Employee - V Year Staff Veteran in Portage, IN

I have been working at Goodrich Quality Theaters (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with. Everyone is really close and are like a second family to me. I can schedule off pretty much at any time I want to with such a large stafe

Cons

Hours aren't great, feel very unappreciated most of the time. Expected to do the work of 2 or 3 at times because of poor training and managerial skills. Can't work over 30 hours.

Advice to Management

This doesn't really go out to my managers but to the corporate managers. We as a staff bust our butts to give everyone a fantastic movie theater experience, you guys really need to have advancements in employment and give back more to the staff.

5. Very Fun Atmosphere and Coworkers

Former Employee - Staffer in Noblesville, IN
    Former Employee - Staffer in Noblesville, IN

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely recommend- at least as a summer job if you're a student. The managing staff got where they are because they started from the bottom and were hard workers. Plus, they had to be good team players and work well with teenagers.

Cons

Gotta work holidays sometimes. But staffing coordinator's are pretty good at getting everyone working where they want or at least the best position.

Advice to Management

Please keep placing importance on excellent hiring/training techniques!

6. Great job

Former Employee - Indiana in Noblesville, IN
    Former Employee - Indiana in Noblesville, IN

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies, flexible schedule, great staff

Cons

Low pay, favortism, late nights,

7. Best First Job Ever

Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Canton, MI
    Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Canton, MI

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-exciting and fun environment -young, energetic coworkers -solid, ethical management -will hire you with no experience -opportunity to learn cash register skills -tasks are varied, making the day interesting -sense of appreciation for being a hard worker

Cons

-minimum wage job -low chance of promotion -part time only: weekly hours cap -occasionally hectic and extremely messy

8. Former High School Aged Employee at Savoy 16

Former Employee - Staff in Savoy, IL
    Former Employee - Staff in Savoy, IL

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fairly accommodative as far as physical disabilities go - just never expect to be allowed to sit down while on the clock, unless you are a manager. - A free movie pass every week that includes a small popcorn and drink - If you manage to stick around for at least three or four years, you have a decent chance of being promoted to assistant manager or manager. This possibly could have been me since I worked there for 2 years before I quit for a better job. - They are always hiring.

Cons

- If you are under 18, they can and will legally pay you 50 cents under minimum wage. - People regularly get fired over little things (such as having a cell phone in your pocket, even if it's only being used to check the time or even completely shut off) - it's suspected by many that this is intentional, as it is cheaper to just fire and hire new people than having to give them a (usually 10 cent) raise if they stick around. - That horribly outdated training video they made everyone watch (at least back when I worked there). - Your feet will hurt really bad (the shortest shifts are 4-6 hours, but most average around 8 or 8 and a half hours), the only things you can do are try to get used to it and get some REAL supportive shoe inserts - NOT Dr. Scholls. Despite my own all-day shock absorbant Dr. Scholls, my foot still somehow got screwed up enough from working there that it still isn't quite the same. I apparently strained some tendons, but they still ache in that particular foot any time I'm on my feet for too long or run too hard. I don't know how it happened, just that I came back from work one day and the pain in that particular foot didn't go away and got more severe throughout that week until I couldn't even walk anymore. I probably hurt it somehow and didn't notice because whatever pain inflicted from whatever I did was indistinguishable from the pain they were already in. - You will probably eventually get sick of popcorn...if not from smelling and handling it, from just seeing it all over the floor all the time. - It's just another one of those typical public service jobs where patrons will overlook the fact that you are a human being or even exist. - If you are not liked by the managers, it is probably only a matter of time before you get fired. - This can be a pro or con I guess, but half hour long breaks for shifts that exceed four hours. I'm putting it down as a con because a half an hour is not nearly enough time for your feet to recover at all before going back, especially if you spend at least half of that break time just walking to your car or somewhere on the plaza to get food. You can be fired for returning late from break - especially if the manager is looking for an excuse to fire you. - If you work during the weekdays, especially over the summer, there's always a good chance you will either get sent home early because it's too slow or that you will barely receive any scheduled hours. People are most needed on the weekends, so that is when most people work - it just goes from being dead to absolutely chaotic. - You are expected to work during the holidays - yes, this includes Christmas, New Year's, and the Fourth of July.

Advice to Management

- I heard things have been better since I worked there, keep it up! - Make sure prospective employees know exactly what they are getting into...advise them about how to properly manage the foot pain before they hurt themselves if they've never worked a job that requires them to be on their feet for that long. Seeing as the bulk of employees are in high school, this is a necessary statement.

9. I do too much work for too little recognition.

Current Employee - Staffer in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - Staffer in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the people and the atmosphere. It is awesome to be able to work around movies because I love the cinema. When customers ask about movies it can go on and on. Also, the free movie and popcorn each week are pretty good perks.

Cons

I make minimum wage for working 4 different positions. We are often either over or understaffed due to the unpredictability of the customers. Their are too many managers on staff who do not communicate well and you could easily take the blame for their faults.

Advice to Management

Communicate!

10. Employee

Former Employee - Concessions in Brownsburg, IN
    Former Employee - Concessions in Brownsburg, IN

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Movies, Great Staff, Great Customers, Breaks, Holiday Parties, Fun Atmopshere

Cons

Much Cleaning, Late Nights, Movies Breaking Down

Advice to Management

Try to promote from within at a faster rate, other than that perfect.

11. Not a bad summer job, but...

Former Employee - Concession/Usher in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Concession/Usher in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free movies and popcorn/soda. Schedule is pretty flexible, especially considering the amount of people willing to switch/take shifts. Coworkers are generally fun and a lot of the junior managers are nice and understanding folk, especially if you're into geeky pursuits. Generally an alright college job.

Cons

Pay's just the minimum and gets capped not much higher than that. Tiny raises per quarter. A bit of favoritism runs through the place. You're graded/scheduled on things like how many $0.35 "extra butters" you can push on people (SPOILERS: It's not real butter. Just flavorless oil. Yummy.). Shifts are very sparse during the slow season. Some of the upper management are rude and abusive which is silly when you're the #3 movie theater in a town with 3 theaters. There are pointless "carrots" like earning stickers for good performance (which are awarded completely arbitrarily) and if you earn 10 you get to pick your schedule. No one ever gets that many, so.... Easy to get dismissed over small stuff or even hearsay. High turnover. Generally it seems like a movie theater where corporatism has run free.

Advice to Management

Don't hire bullies to manage people. It brings down the whole vibe and makes people work just hard enough not to get fired. When you're sitting at a table and four other staffers are spontaneously complaining about the exact same manager and their tendency to fly off the handle and yell at staff over minor things in front of customers, supposedly even using profanity.... there's a problem. EDIT: The fact that Bob Goodrich is running for office is hilarious. My skin just crawled.

RSS Feed </> Embed