Goodrich Quality Theaters

Robert Emmett Goodrich

Employee

Former Employee - Concessions in Brownsburg, IN
    Former Employee - Concessions in Brownsburg, IN

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free Movies, Great Staff, Great Customers, Breaks, Holiday Parties, Fun Atmopshere

Cons

Much Cleaning, Late Nights, Movies Breaking Down

Try to promote from within at a faster rate, other than that perfect.

Former High School Aged Employee at Savoy 16

Former Employee - Staff in Savoy, IL
    Former Employee - Staff in Savoy, IL

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Fairly accommodative as far as physical disabilities go - just never expect to be allowed to sit down while on the clock, unless you are a manager.
    - A free movie pass every week that includes a small popcorn and drink
    - If you manage to stick around for at least three or four years, you have a decent chance of being promoted to assistant manager or manager. This possibly could have been me since I worked there for 2 years before I quit for a better job.
    - They are always hiring.

Cons

- If you are under 18, they can and will legally pay you 50 cents under minimum wage.
    - People regularly get fired over little things (such as having a cell phone in your pocket, even if it's only being used to check the time or even completely shut off) - it's suspected by many that this is intentional, as it is cheaper to just fire and hire new people than having to give them a (usually 10 cent) raise if they stick around.
    - That horribly outdated training video they made everyone watch (at least back when I worked there).
    - Your feet will hurt really bad (the shortest shifts are 4-6 hours, but most average around 8 or 8 and a half hours), the only things you can do are try to get used to it and get some REAL supportive shoe inserts - NOT Dr. Scholls. Despite my own all-day shock absorbant Dr. Scholls, my foot still somehow got screwed up enough from working there that it still isn't quite the same. I apparently strained some tendons, but they still ache in that particular foot any time I'm on my feet for too long or run too hard. I don't know how it happened, just that I came back from work one day and the pain in that particular foot didn't go away and got more severe throughout that week until I couldn't even walk anymore. I probably hurt it somehow and didn't notice because whatever pain inflicted from whatever I did was indistinguishable from the pain they were already in.
    - You will probably eventually get sick of popcorn...if not from smelling and handling it, from just seeing it all over the floor all the time.
    - It's just another one of those typical public service jobs where patrons will overlook the fact that you are a human being or even exist.
    - If you are not liked by the managers, it is probably only a matter of time before you get fired.
    - This can be a pro or con I guess, but half hour long breaks for shifts that exceed four hours. I'm putting it down as a con because a half an hour is not nearly enough time for your feet to recover at all before going back, especially if you spend at least half of that break time just walking to your car or somewhere on the plaza to get food. You can be fired for returning late from break - especially if the manager is looking for an excuse to fire you.
    - If you work during the weekdays, especially over the summer, there's always a good chance you will either get sent home early because it's too slow or that you will barely receive any scheduled hours. People are most needed on the weekends, so that is when most people work - it just goes from being dead to absolutely chaotic.
    - You are expected to work during the holidays - yes, this includes Christmas, New Year's, and the Fourth of July.

- I heard things have been better since I worked there, keep it up!
    - Make sure prospective employees know exactly what they are getting into...advise them about how to properly manage the foot pain before they hurt themselves if they've never worked a job that requires them to be on their feet for that long. Seeing as the bulk of employees are in high school, this is a necessary statement.

I do too much work for too little recognition.

Current Employee - Staffer in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - Staffer in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the people and the atmosphere. It is awesome to be able to work around movies because I love the cinema. When customers ask about movies it can go on and on. Also, the free movie and popcorn each week are pretty good perks.

Cons

I make minimum wage for working 4 different positions. We are often either over or understaffed due to the unpredictability of the customers. Their are too many managers on staff who do not communicate well and you could easily take the blame for their faults.

Communicate!

Not a bad summer job, but...

Former Employee - Concession/Usher in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Concession/Usher in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get free movies and popcorn/soda. Schedule is pretty flexible, especially considering the amount of people willing to switch/take shifts. Coworkers are generally fun and a lot of the junior managers are nice and understanding folk, especially if you're into geeky pursuits. Generally an alright college job.

Cons

Pay's just the minimum and gets capped not much higher than that. Tiny raises per quarter. A bit of favoritism runs through the place. You're graded/scheduled on things like how many $0.35 "extra butters" you can push on people (SPOILERS: It's not real butter. Just flavorless oil. Yummy.). Shifts are very sparse during the slow season. Some of the upper management are rude and abusive which is silly when you're the #3 movie theater in a town with 3 theaters.

There are pointless "carrots" like earning stickers for good performance (which are awarded completely arbitrarily) and if you earn 10 you get to pick your schedule. No one ever gets that many, so....

Easy to get dismissed over small stuff or even hearsay. High turnover.

Generally it seems like a movie theater where corporatism has run free.

Don't hire bullies to manage people. It brings down the whole vibe and makes people work just hard enough not to get fired. When you're sitting at a table and four other staffers are spontaneously complaining about the exact same manager and their tendency to fly off the handle and yell at staff over minor things in front of customers, supposedly even using profanity.... there's a problem.

EDIT: The fact that Bob Goodrich is running for office is hilarious. My skin just crawled.

Upper management has failed us

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free movie and popcorn each week, easy job and can learn quickly, work with cool people

Cons

Bob Goodrich has NO idea what is going on in his theaters. He does not communicate, nor listen to his managers when they suggest something. He shuts them off immediately. The pay is extremely low, and even if you're in the company for 3+ years, you will barely be making a living wage. Area managers are mean and don't care about their staff members, just how the theater looks. Basically, all I've seen in this company is that the goal is to make Bob Goodrich money - which has been successful with his brand new BMW. PLEASE be aware of poor company decisions while he is running for congress!!! DO NOT put him in office!

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. WE are the workers in the theater, we are the ones who see the problems and hear the complaints from customers! Listen to us and make changes based on our suggestions, not suggestions you think about while sitting at corporate office, not having any idea what actually happens during a work day! Also, care about your employees, show appreciation towards them because nobody does, but without us, you do not have a business.

Better than most college/high school part time jobs

Former Employee - Box Office/Concessionist in Huntington, IN
    Former Employee - Box Office/Concessionist in Huntington, IN

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free movie and popcorn/drink combo a week, flexible scheduling, great managers. Almost every scheduling request is granted, super easy to pick up more hours.

Cons

Some people say they will switch shifts with you and then call out on the day they were supposed to work for you. Really annoying, but most everyone else is honest and reliable.

Change the Employee of the Month on a regular basis :) seriously enjoyed working with all the managers -- they always made every shift fun.

It was over all a great first job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, IL

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet some great customers while working there and you start to build relationships with them. You eventually can memorize the peoples orders and everything. Working for the theater for my first job really helped me to learn what responsibility is. The hours are very flexible and it is very easy to go to school and work. Like I said it was a great first job.

Cons

There is a lot of young kids that work there which means a ton of gossip and immaturity. I did end up picking up the slack of others quite often and I would end up working harder than some of the managers. If you are not a people person or can not handle mean or rude people this is not the job for you. Not every person is rude but there are a lot that are including the employees

Do not bring your problems from home to work. If you are not having a good day don't take it out on your employees. And get more connected with your employees.

It's a job

Former Employee - Cleaner in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Cleaner in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked good with my schedule, a lot of flexibility in scheduling, a lot of freedom given in day to day tasks.

Cons

Bad corporate culture, everyone for themselves mentality, do whatever it takes to help yourself out before the company or fellow employees.

Actually focus on whats best for the employees and turnover will be a lot lower.

fair company

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice perks: free movies. There is a set schedule of raises based on merit and experience.

Cons

Most of the work is nights and weekends so its a non-traditional schedule

Entry Level position

Former Employee - Concessionist in Portage, IN
    Former Employee - Concessionist in Portage, IN

I worked at Goodrich Quality Theaters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good entry level position for a first job. Very easy schedule and can balance with school or another job.

Cons

Low pay and very difficult to become a manager

Keep it up