Goodwill

Goodwill Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Goodwill President and CEO Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

Pros
  • Goodwill is awesome helping people in the community with disablities by offering them work(in 23 reviews)

• Easy to work around schedule providing good work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries for upper management very high while team member are paid and poorly(in 32 reviews)

• Minimum wage is what most people will make here, but it will help you rack up experience(in 21 reviews)

project manager

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

Proswas able to teach folks, and enable them to become part of the work force

Consnot great pay or benefits

Advice to Senior Managementbe present when you say you will. back your managment

Really low pay, even with management. More stress than it's worth.

ProsGoodwill of the Valleys (Roanoke, VA) Being full time you do get 40 hours PTO (that includes sick time) in your first 90 days, and on your 91st day you get another 40 hours for the rest of the year you are there. And they do pay for 11 holidays a year so that is a plus.

They do help senior citizens, people with special needs, and people on probation get work.

ConsThe pay is low all across the board. Processors and cashiers only make minimum wage or just a little above and they have high goals set for them on top of that. Sales supervisors and assistant managers don't make much over minimum wage, and a store manager makes a LOT less than store managers for other retail stores.

But the company has goals and wants to compete like a regular retail store and still pay employees the same that they have. Every month they set the sales goal 7% higher than it was a year ago. And this is a NON PROFIT organization????? And yet they still pay their employees so low. Even with a monthly bonus for high sales it's still not that much to make much of a difference.

All of the items are donated, and the company is doing everything it can to just look out for the CEO and the corporate office personnel. The people in the stores are the ones who are bringing in the money for these people but not getting paid for it.

It seems you can move up fast in the company but I've also seen that if someone higher up doesn't like you they will find a way to get rid of you. And it's happened to really hard working people.

Basically at Goodwill you just want to use your title and experience and move on to a better company with your experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth. $7.25-$7.75 an hour for processors and cashiers is insulting. Sales supervisors seem to make just $9.25 an hour, Assistant Managers make like $9.25 an hour, and the store managers make a LOT less than other retail stores pay.

Rewarding job in a sense of doing good for others, but upper management is pretty disconnected from their mission.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits. Pay for management is competitive with the market. 403b is matched up to 4%. Excellent time off allowances.

ConsSenior management is only concerned with increasing their six figure salaries. Decisions are made like they have turrets. No clear direction or vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome reconnected with the organization and it's mission.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Goodwill Donation Processor and Cashier

Donation Processor and Cashier (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe company works with you on your schedule

ConsMost individuals are hired through the "program" and thus have very poor work ethics and little education.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview new hires employment history with an eye to promotion in order to utilize a persons skill sets to your best advantage.

An okay job as a stepping stone

Keyholder (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsYou are trained very well. I was cross trained in all areas of the stores. Always something new to learn. Good benefits and Paid time off available upon. Some advancement. Flexibility and guaranteed hours. Various groups of people to work with. A good place to work on customer service.

ConsPromotions are hard to get, the company hires who they want and only promotes those they want to. An employee can be qualified for a position and the company will bypass them and hire someone who has never worked for the company in the position instead. Lots of theft within the higher management. Double standards. Lots of "coffee cup holding" managers, which means if you are not an assistant or store manager you will be worked nonstop, and held to a higher expectation of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sitting in the office and pointing fingers at other employees for your failures. Be more involved in the work environment. Stop using your job security to take advantage of other employees.

Just OK

ProsCustomer demographic tends to be extremely friendly/courteous. Management is also pretty understanding of new employees' learning curves.

ConsNot the most efficient. Products aren't always organized in the best way for customers. Sometimes workers aren't placed very well, either. I'm a very new employee yet I sometimes find myself practically the only one on the sales floor, having to try to answer questions that I frequently don't know the answer to.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf profits are going down, it's definitely worth asking some of the low-end workers what problems they see, what complaints and difficulties they see customers have, etc.

What's Our REAL Mission???

ProsCo-workers and store atmosphere are great.

ConsWants the public to view them as helping to put people to work - yet ALWAYS laying off or firing their employees. The associates that REALLY care - are the ones laid off or fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementVP's should take cuts in pay...get layed off, fired - remember you're non-profit not corporate america so quit paying yourselves like you are, better yet, quit runnnig the mission like it's the banking/auto industry. Shame on you!

Low pay, low impact

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood insurance benefits, reliable source of income

ConsLack of a stable support system, low pay, high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to create workable resources for those in rural areas

Much to be desired

Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsBenefits, HR support, 403B matching

ConsThere is little or No upper support level

Advice to Senior ManagementBe involved in your contracts

diverse work

Prosworking with individuals with disabilities.

Conslack of communication from different levels of commands.

Worked for Goodwill? Contribute to the Community!