Goodwill

Goodwill Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Goodwill President and CEO Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

Pros
  • Goodwill is awesome helping people in the community with disablities by offering them work(in 23 reviews)

• Easy to work around schedule providing good work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries for upper management very high while team member are paid and poorly(in 32 reviews)

• Minimum wage is what most people will make here, but it will help you rack up experience(in 21 reviews)

Awesome opportunity to work for excellent companies.

Medical Transportation Representative (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsExposure to great companies and to enhance skills.

ConsShort term contracts, no benefits

Great company, great people to work with and very rewarding!

Case Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsLaid back, relaxed dress code, freedom to be creative with your job.

ConsWatching our state taxes go to the wrong people and being able to brush aside your morals to understand others.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish we had more holidays, tuition assistance and better pay.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGIUMSC is a great company to work for. I worked in management in a retail store. The corporate level has a huge presence in all of the stores. The CEO will personally speak to every employee during his visits and genuinely seems to care about their well being. The work is hard but rewarding. The money made in the retail locations goes towards the company mission to put people back to work. Excellent benefits package. Monthly bonus incentives at all employee levels.

ConsProduction goals were difficult to meet. High employee turnover. Very very strict attendance policy with little to no leeway. Low rate of pay with high expectations of work. Quantity of donations could get overwhelming since space was limited. Didn't always have the necessary supplies to function. Customers were often rude and difficult. Regular customers have a "we run the place" mentality.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people great service

Employment Specialist (Former Employee)

Prosthe people and the service

Consnone, been good everything is trill

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

I love it. some lazy workers

Cashier (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsPretty good starting pay, plenty of opportunities.

ConsManagement doesnt seem to care if one worker does all the work as long as it gets done. Cashiers are underappreciated and underpaid for the amount of work that is done

Advice to Senior Managementdo more for cashiers, improve promotion policy, allow people to enter management at the store they started at.

Great place to shop.

ProsNot a great place to work. I work there

Consthe pay is terrible and no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees better

Good Company

ProsFair pair, benefits, cares about employees, advancement opportunity

ConsLots of politics , management at times can be unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery rigid to new ideas or people.

great

Budget (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGreat environment to work at.

ConsCould be hard at times

The Hard Truth

Cashier (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsBetter than not having a job, a income to take care of responsibilities, full-time benefits

ConsVery high turn over rate, chaotic, pressure from higher ups, constant brainwash, fear based mind control

Advice to Senior ManagementNot that management gives a care with their high salaries and inflated egos and such. But my experience with working in a goodwill retail store is complete and utter craziness. I do what i have to do to support my family, but Goodwill tries to psychologically make themselves your God. Repetition of how much good they do. When you truly doing good you don't need to tell the world for recognition you just do it. Goodwill uses the pitch of helping people with disabilities find work, in their organization of course, but then doesn't pay them jack. So its really exploitation of people with disabilities and making the customer feel a certain sympathy while shopping in turn robbing them blind. I understand the concept of a non profit, But Goodwill brings in a hell of a lot of profit my idiot manager said top exec's only make 150,000 a year, yes "only" 150 grand. While the most full time make is 15,000. Working in a retail store at Goodwill is a nice lil job job for those with no experience but while you getting that experience figure out a career path doing something that motivates you passionately don't let greed be the first priority. Goodwill and all these other large conglomerate companies aren't any different than your Government. Lying for profit. Peace and Love

Desperate last resort

Donation Attendant (Current Employee) Arlington Heights, IL

ProsNot gonna lie, but the bosses are mostly amazing, the head manager does keep her temper. It maybe okay as a High School student's first job but other than that, it is an "okay" job.

ConsHours are very flexible, other parts of management are not really the most fair. They can schedule you for full time for the entire year and still call you part time. Often during the other three seasons other than summer that you will get scheduled the morning shift due to its high student to adults ratios.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a level enforcement of the law, if you curve it then curve it so that all of the management will approve of the same technique.

Worked for Goodwill? Contribute to the Community!