Goodwill Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014

Goodwill President and CEO Jim Gibbons
Jim Gibbons

Pros
  • Goodwill is awesome helping people in the community with disablities by offering them work (in 23 reviews)

• Easy to work around schedule providing good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries for upper management very high while team member are paid and poorly (in 32 reviews)

• Minimum wage is what most people will make here, but it will help you rack up experience (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Wrong name for greedy, hypocritical company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Goodwill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can't think of any...nothing comes to mind

Cons

Poor pay no encouragement upper management gives no guidance or direction, simply wait for you to make a mistake so they can attack!

Change upper management ...too much nepotism

Good

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Westfield, MA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Westfield, MA

I worked at Goodwill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount on items that are donated. Have first dibs before the general public sees them.

Cons

Sometimes donated items stink and are dirty.

Management should adhere to policies that have been established and foster the managerial growth of supervisors and assistant managers as well as all personnel

Disorganized Chaos

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Goodwill part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're good at managing yourself and taking initiative, this is really a simple cashier/sales associate position; you will get very little direction from the management. You will meet some incredible people who are genuinely good and kind, and these people will make your work enjoyable and memorable, and it will almost force you to forget the terrible customer you had 5 minutes prior. You get to see everything before all of the customers, so you essentially have your first pick at all of the clothing and accessories that pass through the donation center. Most of the time, you'll find a gem - a perfect pair of jeans, a vintage jacket in beautiful condition, costume jewelry from the 1960s, a high-end designer piece that is essentially priceless. The only negative aspect about new merchandise is that employees are barred from purchasing anything new - you have to wait for new merchandise to be out on the floor for 24 hours, because the customers get the first pick. Management is good about schedule flexibility; during my time at Goodwill, I changed my schedule multiple times, and management was always very accommodating.

Cons

As a cashier/sales associate at Goodwill, you will deal with some very lovely people, very rarely. Most of the time, however, you will deal with extremely difficult customers, and when I say extremely difficult customers, I mean it sincerely. The pay is appalling. My ending salary was $8.50, but that's only because the state of New Jersey increased the minimum wage. There is literally no opportunity for advancement or pay increases, and management essentially sees you as expendable. There are monthly bonuses - if the store reaches a certain amount of money by the end of the month - but for a part-time employee working about 40 hours each week, my bonus was never more than $11. Further, you don't qualify for the bonuses unless you've been with the company for 3 months. There is very little direction from the management, and whenever there is any type of mistake, they're always there to breathe down your neck. Security is a huge issue, too: They have cameras everywhere in the store that are operated from Goodwill's HQ in NY, but instead of paying attention to the customers, they focus on watching the employees and making sure that they're doing their work, which is ludicrous, because management should be overseeing the employees, and security should be watching the customers. The store is incredibly messy. Always. A cleaning crew comes in to clean it once every 2 weeks, but it's a fruitless effort, because the store gets completely trashed before the night is over. The store is essentially disorganized - at least this is true for the location where I worked. Everything is Do-It-Yourself, and to be brutally honest, you'd be better off working retail somewhere else - for a company where employees are treated well and where there is the potential for growth.

Do your job, and do your job correctly. Encourage your employees to do good work. Tell your employees that they're doing good work. You're in management for a reason - to manage the store and its employees - and if your only concern is making the budget for the week, and you're willing to steamroll your hard-working employees to meet your goals, then you will not succeed. You have employees who are trying to support children and families on a minimum-wage, hourly salary - you have students who are trying to live on their own and afford rent payments - you have employees who can't afford to eat everyday. And there is nothing being done to better their circumstances. Goodwill's mission is admirable, but it's a moot statement when the lives of its employees are as difficult as they are - nothing is being done to help them, and I can't understand why. Goodwill's mission is to essentially help people - so why not start by helping the employees? If you don't want to keep your employees, then continue doing what you're doing. I was stellar at my job, but treating your employees like trash made me leave. And the next cashier you hired was a drug-addicted mess who slept with a customer in exchange for drug money. I can't confirm if she's still employed at Goodwill, but to the management: If you want more employees like her, and less like the good ones that you had, then keep it up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent workplace for entry level

Former Employee - Retail Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Goodwill part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees work well as a team and willing to help when you need assistance. Leadership is accessible and compensation is on par with industry.

Cons

Turnover is high which can cause teams to change often. Department is goal oriented so if others are not pulling their own weight, your perks can decrease. Hours are inconsistent but not unusual for the nature of the business.

production stocker

I worked at Goodwill

Pros

gets you back into the retail life and refresh costumer service skills

Cons

my dept never had enough help to stock, very stressful and defeating

Would be helpful to give help when really needed

The corporate mindset has taken over the nonprofit warm, caring feeling, resulting in a severe culture change.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Goodwill full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people at the Corp. office are pretty much the best-smiling, cheerful, they like their jobs. Very good benefits, good PR and presence in the community, good 'spin'. At Corporate, you'll find lots of people willing to help you, if you just ask. (you gotta find the right person to ask, though!)
    Up until a year and a half ago, I would've rated Goodwill with 5 stars. It was THAT good.

Cons

What comes to mind when you think about working for a non-profit?

-That the work for and with the organization would make you feel good, right?
    -It's because you'd want to feel like you're making a difference, yes?
    -And since Goodwill is a HUGE name, one would think it'd be AWESOME to work there and you'd be making a difference, right?
    That's what I thought & that was my experience when I worked there.

Until 2013.

From the date of incorporation of Goodwill Industries of Orange County Ca., 1932 until 2012, it wasn't 'all about the money'. Money coming in of course was important, but our raison d'etre WE were working at Goodwill was everything associated with serving the <mostly> disabled people we called 'clients' who were working, getting trained, getting placed in jobs at the org. That was our Mission, to "provide people with disabilities and other barriers the opportunity to achieve their highest levels of personal and economic independence", & by God we did a GREAT job. They were our clients, WE worked for THEM. It was quality vs quantity and we were a quality org.
    Every day, you could see the reason. Every single frickin' day.

We had a common goal, a common focus, a common need to fill. We got all sorts of caring, 'warm fuzzy' feelings about what we were doing.

And it was good.

CON: before I was let go, the vision changed; from " "Goodwill of Orange County envisions a world where all individuals with disabilities and other barriers will have the opportunity to participate in a full range of life's experiences, including competitive employment. In support of this vision, we will maintain leadership in creating and providing quality education, training, and employment services to empower individuals to be productive and independent, based on their abilities and interest."
    to
    "Over the next five years we intend to double the number of people we serve by providing services that are innovative and driven by the needs of the community."

Read those two again. Perhaps it would be clearer to say 'innovative and driven by the needs of the media'.

Translation: Quantity vs quality. A revolving door philosophy of 'get 'em in, count 'em, give some service that might help them, then they're outta here.'.

CON: The employees organization-wide are now being choked by fear and apprehension. This is partly due to management's obsession with suspicion and mistrust. In the last 2 years, state-of-the art security and video systems have been put in place everywhere except in the bathrooms and IT.
    NOW, when you talk to someone about anything, you look over your shoulder to see if anyone's around; you talk in an office so the cameras won't see you; you wonder who you can trust (answer: NO ONE).
    When it gets so bad that an ex-employee who was let go attempts to send an email the next day to their coworkers, management finds out about it, quickly tells IT to block and eliminate those emails, even erasing them off staff emails whether they're opened or not, including any 'sent' emails to that ex-coworker, well, are they that afraid of a stupid goodbye email?

Programs are being cut, long-term employees are being fired/let go, the upper management and HR rule by fear. It's not feeling remotely like a non-profit organization should feel. When you open up a can of root beer, you expect root beer and not tap water, yes?

When 5 people are let go/position eliminated/reduction in force from the same department right when they walk into work, within 3 business days (one person was let go the day they got back from their honeymoon), that doesn't really seem like something a caring, 'warm fuzzy' organization like Goodwill would do, does it?
    No, it doesn't.

They're gone, to the Goodwill Gulag.

Along with appx 30+ people, from January-June 2014.

A board that ALSO looks at the internal personnel trends (i.e. people are walking and not even giving notice, because frankly Goodwill disposes of people without any notice, and the general cloud of uncertainty and fear), because unhappiness is CATCHING. The board needs to be aware of it before anyone else outside does.

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at Goodwill part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The good things are really good. They really believe in their mission statement to empower disadvantaged people, and some very kind people work for the organization. I've never had so much fun at a workplace, and the work is relatively easy. Many opportunities for networking and additional training are available, schedule permitting. They emphasize safety and customer service.

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all, and I feel that management in many areas does not appreciate its employees. There's always the shadow of "You don't like it, there's the door." Although there's a great variety of training announced, it's no good to you if your schedule is so tight that you can never attend. And I've often felt that management had its own agenda with no intent to listen to me or my peers' feelings and ideas.

Listen to what your employees say on the annual surveys! It's the same stuff every year! We want to be appreciated for our efforts to support the mission statement ... the pay is low, so most of us are here because we love the work.

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Donations  in  DeWitt, MI
    Former Employee - Donations in DeWitt, MI

I worked at Goodwill part-time for less than a year

Pros

None really they were rude to us a lot

Cons

They were rude didn't work with my schooling and they made fun of me

stop being rude and sleeping with your employees

Chaotic

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Goodwill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

--Medical/Dental benefits solid. Paid holidays numerous. Able to take extended vacation (although everything falls apart when management is not present).

Cons

Mission vs Bottom Line. A sense of urgency to make money, yet a totally hands off approach to training and using support staff to enable/enhance success.

business office

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time for more than a year

Pros

they have good benefits and training seminaries

Cons

they have very low pay rate for employees not for management and supervisor

ok

Worked for Goodwill? Contribute to the Community!