Goody's Family Clothing

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.9

Paul G. White

Unprofessional work environment, decent hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenville, TX

I worked at Goody's Family Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, Employee's were mainly energetic people

Cons

Careless managers, too much gossip, employee's slacked too much and got away with it.

There were so many times that I came into work (working mainly in the fitting rooms) and every stall was filled with clothes that needed to be hung up on the floor. The girls before me did not do anything a lot of the time.

Former store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Goody's Family Clothing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount and the people I worked with were amazing.

Cons

Way to many contests, only focused on driving magazine and cards. Not customer service, not good training and they go into the worst buildings

Ups and downs working retail but mostly ups at Goodys

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Goody's Family Clothing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Credit card incentives, not doing one specific job

Cons

Magazines are the worst!

Great skill-building; poor treatment ad training.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Goody's Family Clothing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent experience building with customer service and thinking on your feet. Good credit incentives. If you're proactive and take initiative to do and excel, you will. Great chance to build people skills and customer relations.

Cons

Extremely poor training time both as a sales associate and as management. Customers are valued on a ridiculously higher level than employees. Pay is terrible for work required out of employees no matter what level. Upper management shows no concern for the well-being of employees, so long as you "perform". Constantly under-staffed. Over-all very stressful place to be with constant pressure being put on about everything. Allowed verbal abuse via e-mails from higher ups when not at their required levels of performance.

Takes longer than a single day to be trained as either associate or management. Take better care of your workers, as they are the reasons customers do/don't come back. Stop being cheap and pay employees what they deserve and hire more people. Upper management needs to get back to their roots as sales associates and re-live what it feels like at each level. It would not be a bad idea for Undercover Boss to use this company for an episode. I know people who love this job (including myself), but the lack of caring about the individuals working take tolls and great people full of potential simply give up. Don't continue losing the chance to improve the entire company by considering employees all numbers.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Paris, KY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Paris, KY

I have been working at Goody's Family Clothing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros to this job! Look elsewhere!!!!!

Cons

Horrible company. They do not train well, expect a person to be ready to run their own store after two weeks of training. They try to sell magazines to people cause their clothing isn't good enough to support the company so they have to try to support themselves through magazines and gas station DVDs?? I was fired from here under false pre tenses... Saying I was scamming customers through the sale of magazines....wrong!!! There were various complaints about the magazines given the fact that the average customer is 58 years old so they would forget to cancel after three months. Also the pay is terrible!!!!! Store managers make what an assistant manager makes at Kohl's. Terrible company to work for would not recommend it to anyone.

Former cashier

I worked at Goody's Family Clothing

Pros

Fun place to work, they work with your college schedule and were really good at giving you days off you request

Cons

As with all dealing with the public some customers are rude and insist on being right even when they are really wrong

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Goody's Family Clothing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, Benefits, Work Environment, Extra pay for getting people to open a store card. The earliest I ever have to be at work is 9am, and the latest I ever have to be at work is 9pm. Its an awesome work schedule. 1hr lunch breaks.

Cons

There aren't very many cons. Like most retail environments you have to push credit card sales, you find what works best for you.

I love my management team, everyone is very friendly where I work.

ok

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Goody's Family Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

schedule was good for family and work

Cons

there were no cons at the time

It was a normal minimum wage job.

Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Goody's Family Clothing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The scheduling worked well with a student's schedule, which allowed time for school and recreation while still getting decent hours.

Cons

The company closed for a while during the time I worked there, which put me out of a job and I had to hunt for a new one when I was not expecting a job change.

No wonder they closed!

Current Employee - Floor Manager in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Floor Manager in Florence, SC

I have been working at Goody's Family Clothing

Pros

Meeting customers and building upon relationships.

Cons

Store manager associated with younger associates outside the work place.

None