Goodyear

Goodyear Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros:
  • "Some best reasons to work here is the good pay"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Good pay and benefits grandfathered employees"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance is not a priority to managment"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Can work long hours at times, but this is typically a matter of me wanting to get more accomplished than being mandated by my management"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Rampant Greed

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood pay and nice facility

Conswork life balance is not a priority to managment

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is more to life than work

family oriented company, work life balance

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Goodyear full-time

ProsFlexible work schedules and benefits

ConsThe only place for opportunity to grow is if you are in Akron, OH.

Always looking for something better

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodyear full-time

ProsGood salary and reasonable benefits in a 2nd tier industry; higher than the comparable tire industry jobs

ConsClaims to be operating in new management environment, but still behaves like its 1978 in many cases, Success is dependent on the manager that you work for and Goodyear is constantly hiring the new Global leader....good luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementReap the benefits while you can because there will be turnover - low investment in R&D and capital improvement as a % to sales (vs. Michelin & Bridgestone) means you're a distant 3rd.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding experience at #1 tire company in the US

I worked at Goodyear

ProsYour work is very appreciated at Goodyear Fayetteville plant. Union privileges for workers also extend indirectly to non-union staff. People are focused on getting the job done. Backastabbers don't do well here. Bottom line is that if you deliver results yo will do fine here.

ConsVery long hours, plus have to work on some weekends. Union can make the environment a little rough. Offices are old and a little dirty due to rubber mixing plant. Pay is a little low. I left for a higher paying lower level job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid having your staff work on non-essencials so they can work closer to regular hours and don't burn out so soon.

Great place to work.

Development Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Flexibility with family

ConsMoving up in the company can be slow

Goodyear Plant Tire Builder

Tire Builder (Former Employee)
Lawton, OK

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay and benefits along with seemingly unlimited overtime if wanted.

ConsTire machines were old, and broke down frequently. Since this is a production driven job, breakdowns are extremely detrimental. No matter the reason for low production, fault always fell on the tire builder.

Unethical Management and Political Snakepit

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalaries in some jobs are pretty good. There are numerous hard working and competent people in the company ranks and much good work is done by this network of people.

ConsMany of the executive level leaders and upper tier leaders are unethical, sociopathic, and entirely focused on THEIR careers to the exclusion of lower level associates. Management will give lip service to ethical behavior but they exclude themselves from ethical conduct. Greed and politics are rampant in the management ranks. Promotions are more often based on being well liked than on being competent and productive. There are lots of brown nosers and suck ups to deal with.

Highly productive and knowledgeable senior employees are often let go to keep salaries down.Layoffs and consolidations are continuous. R & D investment seriously lag the industry and quality is fair at best. Manufacturing plants are old and antiquated and lacking common operating procedures. The newest plant was built in the 60's - the oldest circa 1900. Costly recalls are often avoided to minimize embarrassment to responsible management,

Divisions to particularly avoid that have very poor leadership include; Technical, Manufacturing, and Logistics. Field jobs outside the corporate complex tend to be better positions with higher levels of motivation and less politics to deal with.

The customer base has been largely eroded by the implementation of a wholesale distribution model. Longtime loyal customers are no more. Dealer's are unhappy with poor margins and costs being pushed from the corporation to them. Unit volume has declined dramatically over the last decade.

Advertising and marketing programs are completely derivative and lack any imagination. Purchasing imposes very harsh 90 day payment terms on vendors. Product liability is a big cost to the company resulting from inadequate design and quality control.

The company is structured into global regions. Each region does it's own thing and there are few shared processes and practices within regions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout complete changeover of upper level management and dramatically different strategy, this company is destined to continue it's gradual decline into a second tier automotive supplier.

I found that the 'good old boy club' and its bureaucracy, demoralized IT professionals all the way down the org. chart.

I have been working at Goodyear full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTried and tried to find some! I am an experienced IT professional who was responsible for critical data. Joined several professional organizations and process improvement teams. Any ideas I suggested were met with negativity.

ConsBureaucracy, when asked why it had to be that way, no one knew! There were silos within departments; no concept of a cross-functional or cross-silo team. My work ended up being 'piece-work'

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should realize they do not really know which policies and procedures are being filtered down to the worker. Also, they are not being told what is really going on in their troops unless they ask the non-management employees. A survey is not effective.

Typical big, slow industrial company

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPut in your time and you can do pretty well for yourself. Been around for a long time, weathered a lot, and probably will be around for a long time still.

ConsSpend a lot of time working on certifications, without always fundamentally changing culture or behaviors. Seniority matters more than it probably should.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in your employee's shoes. If something doesn't work because of X, address X. You won't get the buyin you need otherwise.

Didn't like. Mainly because I am not a people person. My bad.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Springfield, IL

I worked at Goodyear full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is an established company with superior products.

ConsTypical employees who have little work ethic and rude and disrespectful customers. On your feet all day. Too many competitors in the same area.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Worked for Goodyear? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goodyear reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goodyear CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Goodyear employees.