Goodyear

Goodyear Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits along with seemingly unlimited overtime if wanted(in 15 reviews)

• They treat you good, wages are good, good benefits(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not a priority to managment(in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours, plus have to work on some weekends(in 12 reviews)

I found that the 'good old boy club' and its bureaucracy, demoralized IT professionals all the way down the org. chart.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsTried and tried to find some! I am an experienced IT professional who was responsible for critical data. Joined several professional organizations and process improvement teams. Any ideas I suggested were met with negativity.

ConsBureaucracy, when asked why it had to be that way, no one knew! There were silos within departments; no concept of a cross-functional or cross-silo team. My work ended up being 'piece-work'

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should realize they do not really know which policies and procedures are being filtered down to the worker. Also, they are not being told what is really going on in their troops unless they ask the non-management employees. A survey is not effective.

Typical big, slow industrial company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPut in your time and you can do pretty well for yourself. Been around for a long time, weathered a lot, and probably will be around for a long time still.

ConsSpend a lot of time working on certifications, without always fundamentally changing culture or behaviors. Seniority matters more than it probably should.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in your employee's shoes. If something doesn't work because of X, address X. You won't get the buyin you need otherwise.

Great company

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company provides a lot of training to its associates. There are plenty of opportunities to move up. Good working conditions.

ConsRelationship based promotions, difficult to implement any changes or new process. No standardization of processes and equipment in plants.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company I have ever worked for during my career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay and good benefits. Excellent 401k plan. Great people, products and top notch systems. Excellent leadership. Great strategic plan and vision. Great ethics. Great CEO.

ConsHeavy debt obligations consumed a lot of cash generated by operations which limited amount of cash that could be deployed for growth. However that was improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to execute strategic plans. Continue to increase efforts to empower employees. Invest more in plants.

This location has been the best move this far!!

Auto Technician (Current Employee) Simpsonville, SC

ProsStore manager is great, steady work, great location, loyal customers, they offer great insurance. Vacation pay is nice as well. Flexible work schedule

ConsNo pension if hired after 1/1/2003, Upper management never seems satisfied. Firearms are not even allowed in your vehicle even for CWP holders. ENTIRELY to much bureaucratic paperwork!! It will take anyone at least 45-60 minutes to properly perform an oil change and tire rotation. Even longer if the vehicle needs something

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend looking into coming up with some sort of business model for stores. I.E. 10 bay store should have 2 techs, 1 GMT, 4 GS's, 2 sales associates, service manager and one store manager. Right now it's just what ever it is... Busier stores having a hard time getting employees seems crazy from a business standpoint. The paperwork plus being short-handed equals less car count and less $$$

Used to be a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat salary, benefits,pension, and people.

ConsNone. But it's a different company. They used to care about people.

Goodyear has allowed me to continue to learn and grow within my chosen professional career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsGoodyear offers an environment where personal growth is driven by the individual. You can go as far as you choose to go and as far as your talents enable you to do so.

ConsAs is the case with many companies, Goodyear is struggling to truly globalize its footprint. Moving to a one-Goodyear way is a challenging albeit exciting process.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the move towards more transparency in talent management processes and creating an environment that supports global collaboration.

Didn't like. Mainly because I am not a people person. My bad.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Springfield, IL

ProsIt is an established company with superior products.

ConsTypical employees who have little work ethic and rude and disrespectful customers. On your feet all day. Too many competitors in the same area.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Good company but too centered around culture of HQ. Field associate are left behind for promotions the further away you

ProsGood compensation, fairly good training programs

ConsPoor vacation time, raise opportunity

Security Guard Chemical Plant

Security Guard (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEmployees are nice and friendly

ConsOverworked and under manned
    Guards answer the phones for the whole plant, to include people calling in sick
    Hand out paychecks, yet the only security guard there

Advice to Senior ManagementHave Human Resources do their job and let the security guards do their job

Worked for Goodyear? Contribute to the Community!