Goodyear

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Goodyear – “Store”

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros:
  • "Some best reasons to work here is the good pay"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Good pay and benefits grandfathered employees"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance is not a priority to managment"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Can work long hours at times, but this is typically a matter of me wanting to get more accomplished than being mandated by my management"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wow! What a place! What a joke! Don't know how this business is still functioning :/

Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Goodyear full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will not be accountable for anything. You will be able to work from home.

If you suck up to your boss you will progress (no need for qualifications or experience at this joint).

Retail Managers in there tyre network were great to work with, so much intelligence in the stores, however management never listened to the poor buggers!

ConsLeadership is non existent! There are no genuine opportunities for training/ development.

You will be paid poorly with little to none benefits. You will be required to have KPI's but you won't be required to achieve them which I guess is why no one will hold you accountable for what you are actually being very poorly paid to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementI thought I had seen bad senior/ executive leadership before.. But this takes it to a whole other level. What an incompetent group! Very much have a 'know it all' mentality, but have no idea on what is actually going on in the business or on the retail floor.

sucks

Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than a year

ProsWould not recomend this to anyone!

ConsDealing in a hostile environment

Advice to Senior ManagementGlad to hear you have changed some upper managers!

Unethical Management and Political Snakepit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalaries in some jobs are pretty good. There are numerous hard working and competent people in the company ranks and much good work is done by this network of people.

ConsMany of the executive level leaders and upper tier leaders are unethical, sociopathic, and entirely focused on THEIR careers to the exclusion of lower level associates. Management will give lip service to ethical behavior but they exclude themselves from ethical conduct. Greed and politics are rampant in the management ranks. Promotions are more often based on being well liked than on being competent and productive. There are lots of brown nosers and suck ups to deal with.

Highly productive and knowledgeable senior employees are often let go to keep salaries down.Layoffs and consolidations are continuous. R & D investment seriously lag the industry and quality is fair at best. Manufacturing plants are old and antiquated and lacking common operating procedures. The newest plant was built in the 60's - the oldest circa 1900. Costly recalls are often avoided to minimize embarrassment to responsible management,

Divisions to particularly avoid that have very poor leadership include; Technical, Manufacturing, and Logistics. Field jobs outside the corporate complex tend to be better positions with higher levels of motivation and less politics to deal with.

The customer base has been largely eroded by the implementation of a wholesale distribution model. Longtime loyal customers are no more. Dealer's are unhappy with poor margins and costs being pushed from the corporation to them. Unit volume has declined dramatically over the last decade.

Advertising and marketing programs are completely derivative and lack any imagination. Purchasing imposes very harsh 90 day payment terms on vendors. Product liability is a big cost to the company resulting from inadequate design and quality control.

The company is structured into global regions. Each region does it's own thing and there are few shared processes and practices within regions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout complete changeover of upper level management and dramatically different strategy, this company is destined to continue it's gradual decline into a second tier automotive supplier.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's all about the politics. Not about abilities or work ethic.

Various (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompensation is among the best in the industry. Most people who work there are very nice and helpful. Job security.

ConsThey feel that they pay you well enough that they own you- your time, your opinions and your thoughts. There is a very rigid line of communication up the hierarchy. Those who are put in the position to talk to management are those who are willing to have their ideas and opinions told to them by others.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to new ideas. Listen to all employees- not just the "yes men". If you don't you won't know what is really going on.

very hostile place to work and very low pay and the manager likes to up sell his a#$ off and make up bulls#$t

General Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)
Flemington, NJ

I have been working at Goodyear full-time for more than a year

Prosa good place to learn the basics

Conspoor equipment(half of it does not even work properly). they always find something to bring you down. the pay is terrible. you work every holiday except xmas and thanksgiving day.

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe they should car more about the customers and their employees rather than the weekly and monthly bonuses!!!!!!!

Treated awfully, lazy employees, inept managers

General Maintenance Technician (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than a year

ProsThere were some good people that worked there. I was able to make a few long term friends. That's about it.

ConsI did anything from oil changes and tires to fluid flushes, suspension replacements and alignments and was paid a low hourly wage for it. Discount tire actually pays more to do just tires. Regional managers kept moving store managers and service managers around, completely destroying the team dynamics of each location. They would bend over backwards to keep the business of lousy customers, but cared very little for their own employees. Managers would also hire completely incompetent or lazy personnel. It was made clear to me that I was responsible for training them, even though they were paid more than me. I would also be held responsible for other people's mistakes. Awful place to work, everyone hates going to work each day. I'm glad I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees, and start paying them more.

The pay is exceptionally poor, any raise in pay is so low that it's insulting.

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSorry can't think of any.

ConsLow pay and poor commissions. Corporate doesn't understand that it takes money to make money, for example how often do hear Goodyear advertize a tire sale. Local management could careless about their employees you are just a pawn who can easily be replaced especially in this economy. In addition you get to work most holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better and maybe your turnover will drop and sales increase due to a more experienced staff. I would also suggest that they try advertizing a tire sales on maybe T.V. or Radio. I would probably drop using the stupid blow up characters.

Goodyear Review

Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome people were ok to work with.

ConsMicro managed. Managers would not back you up. Insufficient resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the people that work for you. All the people.

Former Employee of 10 Years

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStarting salaries are very competitive. Above average job security.

ConsMiddle management is very ineffective. The company gets very caught up in management and organizational fads and slogans. Its Technical Organization uses a matrix structure that is very confusing. Middle management has created a culture that does not accept employee opinions that differ from their own. The company rarely removes poor performers, and this is very damaging to morale. Payroll, benefits, and recruiting functions have been outsourced to another company, and this has really hurt employee services.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs a new direction.

Terrible!

General Maintenance Technician (Former Employee)
Columbia, SC

I worked at Goodyear full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits and very good pay.

ConsPsychotic management, bullying co-workers, a lot of sexual harassment and favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the company a favor and resign!

Worked for Goodyear? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goodyear reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Goodyear CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Goodyear employees.