Goodyear Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014

3.2

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer
Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits along with seemingly unlimited overtime if wanted (in 15 reviews)

• They treat you good, wages are good, good benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not a priority to managment (in 9 reviews)

• Very long hours, plus have to work on some weekends (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Old School, In Your Face, Disrespectful Plant Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, VA

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great organizational structure. The business centers are staffed like small, independent plants. Good benefits and pay structure. Good training at all levels.

Cons

Plant manager who yells and screams at his staff in meetings, throws and kicks things, and then expects his staff to be motivated enough to take the hill for him. This is the upper management culture at Goodyear in manufacturing.

Get involved in some serious culture change at the Plant Manager level. The old school aproach of Win-Lose outcomes eventually lead to Lose-Lose. I know of many good leaders who have left the company because of the leadership at the Plant Manager level.

For the most part good although a lot

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits were decent although not as good as now as they were

Cons

long hours and upper management does not seem to care about store associates seems to think they are easily replaced

Unbelievable

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay. Name-recognition of company does open doors to a better job somewhere else. Would not recommend this company.

Cons

No work-life balance. Arrogant attitude of upper management. Talks innovation but unwilling to support new ideas. Company culture supports management style and attitude from the 50's. Blatant discrimination of all kinds. Extremely poor salary increases. CEO is more interested in his pocket than the future of the company.

Begin to see and treat employees as valued assets to the company instead of easily replaceable objects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You're not going anywhere

Former Employee - Tire and Service Advisor
    Former Employee - Tire and Service Advisor

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is pretty easy and straightforward. The vacation and personal days offered are decent. It's difficult to get fired unless your manager really has it out for you. We had employees that mangers said were lazy and didn't do well but they were never fired. Other employees just had to pick up the slack.

Cons

A lot of the experience depends on the store manager. Some managers never approve time off, give you all the paperwork and complaints to deal with and never work their scheduled hours. Other managers are in all the time and really put in their fair share of the work.

Each store has a service manager and store manager. Some also have assistant service and store managers. Unless someone gets fired or dies it's pretty much impossible to move up. In my district there was very little movement. They will also hire from the outside to keep you in a lower position if you're doing really well. I was told repeatedly that I was in line for a promotion and doing really well but instead I watched people who were much less qualified get hired or promoted because of the amount they were willing to be paid or who they knew in management.

Raises are almost entirely based on how long you've been there. My coworker was paid more than me even though my store and district manager agreed that I was a better employee.

Corporate should listen more to the lower employees. I had three different people from my store complain to HR that our manager was smoking in the shop (a situation that is usually cause for immediate dismissal) and he was given a tap on the wrist and told to stop-which he didn't of course.

Promotions and raises should be based on how well employees are doing, not how difficult they are to replace.

The store manager position is very challenging.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Goodyear full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Bonuses, incentives, and tire spiffs are paid for just doing your job proficiently. One must keep track of the KPI's and associate score cards to make sure your productivity rate is up and your hitting all the key metrics.

Cons

Disgruntle customers, many of the employees, and trying to please your district manager and the corporate office managers are very cumbersome. Managers work a 6-day work week which leaves no time for family time. If you have a family especially young children this is not the job for you.

My advice to management would be get newer managers into the organization. There are too many older managers still employed by the company who performed sales tactics from the early 80's. Times have dramatically changed and the company should change with the times.

Production workers are treated like the machines they operate.

Former Employee - Forklift Truck Driver  in  Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Forklift Truck Driver in Lawton, OK

I worked at Goodyear full-time for less than a year

Pros

7 Day break every month, paid every friday, good health benefits, great opportunity to move up to management if you have degree in anything.

Cons

Mgmt doesn't care about workers and will fire employees over anything, production work kills body over time from repetition of doing same thing for 12 hours a day. Have to stay at your job for 3 years minimum before you can bid out to another job.

Decrease time required to stay at one position before asking for a different position.

Started Out Good, But ...

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Akron, OH

I worked at Goodyear full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good starting pay, decent benefits, room for some advancement and most people were good to work with. When I left there I was happy with the opportunities given and I am thankful for the experience that I gained while employed there.

Cons

Took too much energy to navigate around all of the politics there. The salary increases there are below the industry standards consistently. Not a good place to work long term for younger professionals coming out of college.

Encourage employees to speak freely and express their ideas and creativity.

Worked here for 5 years, regular raises and bonuses

I have been working at Goodyear

Pros

Regular raises and bonuses. nice compensation

Cons

Medical plan, no employee pricing

Good company to work for

I have been working at Goodyear

Pros

Offers advancement oppurtunities,, discounts on services, and the work keeps you busy.

Cons

No health insurance, Odd work schedules, and some short days.

Not bad if it's what your looking for. Good for airshipers

I have been working at Goodyear

Pros

Good if you don't mind travel and have a very flexible work schedule

Cons

Unknown schedule week to week, last min travel

Worked for Goodyear? Contribute to the Community!