Goodyear

Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

Goodyear Chairman, President, and CEO Richard J. (Rich) Kramer
Richard J. (Rich) Kramer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits along with seemingly unlimited overtime if wanted (in 19 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits grandfathered employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not a priority to managment (in 11 reviews)

• There is no work / life balance at Goodyear (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Akron, OH

I have been working at Goodyear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. No bonuses for people that aren't managers. New building is really cool. Lots of job opportunities throughout the company.

Cons

Opportunities are not in Engineering. Work lots of hours, it seems that if you work an 8-9 hour day and leave you are often called a "part-timer".

There are LOTS of good jobs (managers, directors, VPs, etc) throughout the company. But, 90% of these are outside Engineering. Engineers have little room for upward movement, but alot within Engineering Groups.

Bungling a multi-million dollar business!

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Union City, TN
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Union City, TN

I worked at Goodyear full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a wonderful history of knowledge and experience

Cons

At our facility failure to recognize and follow through with root cause problems and management that didn't work as a team but more as individuals out for personal glory! No balance in direction, work was often done by those who would and many man hours were wasted.

long term company to advance

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at Goodyear full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

vacation days and spiffs earned

Cons

retail hours and holiday work hours

more availabiltiy for promos are needed

Very Old School, In Your Face, Disrespectful Plant Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, VA

I worked at Goodyear full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great organizational structure. The business centers are staffed like small, independent plants. Good benefits and pay structure. Good training at all levels.

Cons

Plant manager who yells and screams at his staff in meetings, throws and kicks things, and then expects his staff to be motivated enough to take the hill for him. This is the upper management culture at Goodyear in manufacturing.

Get involved in some serious culture change at the Plant Manager level. The old school aproach of Win-Lose outcomes eventually lead to Lose-Lose. I know of many good leaders who have left the company because of the leadership at the Plant Manager level.

I worked at Goodyear

Pros

Well you had to we'd irk as a team to get the job completed. We also had days that we were allowed to celebrate the holidays and birthdays in the department. Of course the job had to be completed first and foremost. We all worked together in tubers at Goodyear.

Cons

There was an absenteeism problem that made it hard on everyone that reported to work everyday. Some days we had to work shorthanded which caused a lot of down time on the line.

If you have an associate or associates that reports to work when scheduled and gives their all; please take a few minutes to tell that person how much you appreciate them because it means a lot.

Excellent company

Former Employee - Engineer in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Engineer in Akron, OH

I worked at Goodyear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers rated and promoted employees based on ability.

Cons

Need to relocate in order to progress

Continue to value employees

Unbelievable

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at Goodyear full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Name-recognition of company does open doors to a better job somewhere else. Would not recommend this company.

Cons

No work-life balance. Arrogant attitude of upper management. Talks innovation but unwilling to support new ideas. Company culture supports management style and attitude from the 50's. Blatant discrimination of all kinds. Extremely poor salary increases. CEO is more interested in his pocket than the future of the company.

Begin to see and treat employees as valued assets to the company instead of easily replaceable objects.

For the most part good although a lot

Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Goodyear full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were decent although not as good as now as they were

Cons

long hours and upper management does not seem to care about store associates seems to think they are easily replaced

You're not going anywhere

Former Employee - Tire and Service Advisor
    Former Employee - Tire and Service Advisor

I worked at Goodyear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is pretty easy and straightforward. The vacation and personal days offered are decent. It's difficult to get fired unless your manager really has it out for you. We had employees that mangers said were lazy and didn't do well but they were never fired. Other employees just had to pick up the slack.

Cons

A lot of the experience depends on the store manager. Some managers never approve time off, give you all the paperwork and complaints to deal with and never work their scheduled hours. Other managers are in all the time and really put in their fair share of the work.

Each store has a service manager and store manager. Some also have assistant service and store managers. Unless someone gets fired or dies it's pretty much impossible to move up. In my district there was very little movement. They will also hire from the outside to keep you in a lower position if you're doing really well. I was told repeatedly that I was in line for a promotion and doing really well but instead I watched people who were much less qualified get hired or promoted because of the amount they were willing to be paid or who they knew in management.

Raises are almost entirely based on how long you've been there. My coworker was paid more than me even though my store and district manager agreed that I was a better employee.

Corporate should listen more to the lower employees. I had three different people from my store complain to HR that our manager was smoking in the shop (a situation that is usually cause for immediate dismissal) and he was given a tap on the wrist and told to stop-which he didn't of course.

Promotions and raises should be based on how well employees are doing, not how difficult they are to replace.

The store manager position is very challenging.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Goodyear full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bonuses, incentives, and tire spiffs are paid for just doing your job proficiently. One must keep track of the KPI's and associate score cards to make sure your productivity rate is up and your hitting all the key metrics.

Cons

Disgruntle customers, many of the employees, and trying to please your district manager and the corporate office managers are very cumbersome. Managers work a 6-day work week which leaves no time for family time. If you have a family especially young children this is not the job for you.

My advice to management would be get newer managers into the organization. There are too many older managers still employed by the company who performed sales tactics from the early 80's. Times have dramatically changed and the company should change with the times.

Goodyear Photos