Google Reviews

Reset
3.2
Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page

Pros
  • Work life balance can be what you want it to be on most teams (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is extremely hard (in 122 reviews)

• Big company so it takes time to know who's doing what (in 93 reviews)

Fabulous Place to Work!

Former Employee - Escalation Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Escalation Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Google is famous for good reason. The culture is terrific, the perks are great, and the rewards are meritocratic, which is great because your peers are fabulous. You will never meet people smarter and more dedicated than Google colleagues.Plus, depending on your division and interest you really do have opportunity to solve interesting problems.

Cons

When I started at Google in 2007, it was a much smaller company. By the time I left in 2014, it started to feel a lot more big-company-ish, with more bureaucracy and politics. They did a good job of trying to combat that as best they could but at some point the reality is just that they are huge. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you like working in big companies, but I was seeking something smaller and more mellow.

Advice to Management

Stay vigilant on the work-life balance piece! There's a lot of divisions that are exceptionally high pressure -- which you'll get with many gifted people in one place -- but my experience is that lots of people continue to burn out.

2. In Serious Need of an Adult

Current Contractor - Field Operations in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Field Operations in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work independently, if you take the initiative to start a project you can see it all the way through, not a difficult job, scheduling flexible to a degree

Cons

Lots of us were on-boarded using less than honest rhetoric (i.e. "This is a career starter"). No one works more than about 34 hours a week, so we're making significantly less than we were expecting when we were hired. Lots of people were hired without being told they were signing up for what amounted to a non-renewable 2 year contract. No benefits to speak of. Crazy disorganized. Practically no interdepartmental communication. Management contributes to a hostel work environment. No motivation to do anything more than not get fired. Attempts at feedback are met with hostility. No opportunity for advancement. I could go on forever.

Advice to Management

Start Treating your employees like valuable assets, rather than imperfect substitutes for automation. If you give people a little bit of motivation to go above and beyond instead of doing the bare minimum, people will do much better jobs and might actually "strive for continuous improvement" like your mission statement says.

Great people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

I've met some of the nicest and smartest people ever at Google. The community is really amazing. Perks are unbelievable: free food, 401k and donation match, generous vacation schedule. I was able to maintain a very reasonable schedule and maintain a personal life even close to project deadlines.

Cons

You may feel only a cog in a large machines. Some projects must be done even if nobody really cares. Very limited bottom-up innovation or decisions. There are some amazing projects, really pushing the future, and some less exciting. According to your luck, you may be building robots, or plug-ins for Google Plus.

5. Not too shabby

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company to work for especially as your first job, Exceptional people, amazing offices, and very creative environment

Cons

Not much change in pay until a very long time . Pay is good but stagnant

Advice to Management

Increase pay over a period of time

6. Highly competitive

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of very bright people to bounce things off of and to give you really good feedback about the problems with which you are wrestling.

Cons

There are a few highly competitive people here that put their advancement ahead of getting the most out of the team.

Advice to Management

We good do a better job about bridging the decision makers who lack knowledge of the capabilities of the technology and the technical folks who have to make design choices.

7. Amazing

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the autonomy and the benefits

Cons

Super hard, but there is lots of room for advancement

Advice to Management

Love you guys to death man

8. As good as a big company can get

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome benefits, good pay, reasonable company values

Cons

Google Boston does not get much interesting work

9. Had a great time, loved my work.

Former Intern - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason work at Google, by a long shot, is that all people you will work with are not only able to do their job, their often so bright that one might consider them over-qualified.

Cons

It's tough to find a new job after having been spoiled by this incredible company.

Advice to Management

Smile more.

10. strongly recommend this company, it is worth for working and paying

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is the best for programmer, you can learn a lot from other excellent people. So strongly recommend google. it is worth for working and paying

Cons

it is not easy to enter and you must work hard and maybe you have to take much pressure. But it is worth.

11. Incredible people.

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with the smartest engineers in the world. You solve very difficult problems. You eat delicious food.

Cons

You eat too much delicious food. On a more serious note, it may be a bit difficult to separate work from life because of how closely Google seems to integrate its people. You'll have to work very hard to have a life outside of your code.

Advice to Management

The recruitment process sometimes seems a little messy.

Showing 11 of 3,961 reviews