Google

2,800 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,549 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 140 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 262 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 122 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 93 reviews)

More Highlights

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Makes you feel good about working

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I found the company has a very open, positive culture. Everything is better with primary colors. The longer I spent there, the more assured I felt that Google was a force for good. It's really easy to drink the Kool-Aid.

Cons

The work you're assigned to might not be as interesting as you hoped, given that, it is, after all, Google.

It's the best company I've ever worked for in the 38 years since I graduated college.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people, outstanding benefits and perks, excellent salaries, and lots of opportunity to do what you love. Everything you've heard about working for Google is true.

Cons

It's starting to become a little less firm in its moral stances and starting to bend with the prevailing political winds a little too much. In other words, it's starting to behave more like a multi-billion dollar international corporation than a passionate silicon valley technological trail breaker.

Get rid of the right wing political lobbyists and practice what you preach. If Google is going to say that privacy and climate change are important issues, then it needs to actively support them for the good of everyone and not just for the employees of Google.

Amazing Internship!

Former Employee - Engineering Practicum Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering Practicum Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great perks
    - Excellent food
    - Working on projects that touch millions of people
    - Working for Google the past summer has helped me alot this time around to get other internships.

Cons

I would often stay late and get caught up in my work. It was a personal choice though.

Best internship experience imaginable

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Google absolutely guarantees that your internship will be excellent. The pay is the same as a starting software engineer, you get access to all the perks, and you have the ability to do a simplified "intern conversion" process to become a full time engineer.

Cons

In my opinion, the biggest issue with Google is that there seem to be many people who are overqualified for their jobs. Mumble mumble "harvard grads answering orkut tickets" mumble mumble. Most of the time, however, people who are motivated to find interesting work are able to do so.

Not too shabby

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company to work for especially as your first job, Exceptional people, amazing offices, and very creative environment

Cons

Not much change in pay until a very long time . Pay is good but stagnant

Increase pay over a period of time

A Unique Company

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work on problems that have incredible scale, reach, and impact.

You make things used every day by billions of people; or create data-driven algorithms on a scale not done anywhere else. The company has gotten bigger, but the culture is still idealistic and bottom-up.

In the end, the thing that makes Google unique is the idealism of its leadership. The press is sometimes cynical about the "don't be evil" mantra, but it's something the leadership is serious about. It comes out in the incredible (but quiet) care devoted to protecting the privacy of customer data; or in the care about employees (like healthy food, thoughtful benefits, etc).

The idealism is also reflected in the projects that get funded: not so many projects that chase the gimmick-of-the-day; more projects that lay out a vision of a better world.

An excellent place to work over the long run.

Cons

The bottom-up culture is not for everybody.

It can sometimes feel chaotic, as if managers can't decide what they want. That's because the culture of the company is "try things and see what works." It is a good company if you thrive on uncertainty and autonomy; it is less good if you are looking for clear, consistent directions.

Great resources to train new engineers, lots of fun and collaboration

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good pay, fascinating projects, learn tons, think about new problems, really interesting co-workers

Cons

very ambitious company makes work environment stressful at times. It is easy to feel like you don't measure up to your coworkers

Highly competitive

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There is no shortage of very bright people to bounce things off of and to give you really good feedback about the problems with which you are wrestling.

Cons

There are a few highly competitive people here that put their advancement ahead of getting the most out of the team.

We good do a better job about bridging the decision makers who lack knowledge of the capabilities of the technology and the technical folks who have to make design choices.

Amazing

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Love the autonomy and the benefits

Cons

Super hard, but there is lots of room for advancement

Love you guys to death man

Great ideas, poor execution

Current Employee - Analytical Lead in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Analytical Lead in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Google has great ideas on how to improve the world, and I feel they aim towards making these ideas a reality.

Cons

Unfortunately execution is mediocre. Rather than putting 100% effort into these ideas, they don't devote enough resources, which ultimately leads to many projects being shelved.