Google

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

811 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Moving at the speed of light, burn out is inevitable

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 8 years

Pros1) Food, food, food. 15+ cafes on main campus (MTV) alone. Mini-kitchens, snacks, drinks, free breakfast/lunch/dinner, all day, errr'day.

2) Benefits/perks. Free 24:7 gym access (on MTV campus). Free (self service) laundry (washer/dryer) available. Bowling alley. Volley ball pit. Custom-built and exclusive employee use only outdoor sport park (MTV). Free health/fitness assessments. Dog-friendly. Etc. etc. etc.

3) Compensation. In ~2010 or 2011, Google updated its compensation packages so that they were more competitive.

4) For the size of the organization (30K+), it has remained relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication but, that is definitely changing (for the worse).

5) With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true.

6) You get to work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry. There's a "con" to that, too (see below).

Cons1) Work/life balance. What balance? All those perks and benefits are an illusion. They keep you at work and they help you to be more productive. I've never met anybody at Google who actually time off on weekends or on vacations. You may not hear management say, "You have to work on weekends/vacations" but, they set the culture by doing so - and it inevitably trickles down. I don't know if Google inadvertently hires the work-a-holics or if they create work-a-holics in us. Regardless, I have seen way too many of the following: marriages fall apart, colleagues choosing work and projects over family, colleagues getting physically sick and ill because of stress, colleagues crying while at work because of the stress, colleagues shooting out emails at midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am. It is absolutely ridiculous and something needs to change.

2) Poor management. I think the issue is that, a majority of people love Google because they get to work on interesting technical problems - and these are the people that see little value in learning how to develop emotional intelligence. Perhaps they enjoy technical problems because people are too "difficult." People are promoted into management positions - not because they actually know how to lead/manage, but because they happen to be smart or because there is no other path to grow into. So there is a layer of intelligent individuals who are horrible managers and leaders. Yet, there is no value system to actually do anything about that because "emotional intelligence" or "adaptive leadership" are not taken seriously.

3) Jerks. Sure, there are a lot of brilliant people - but, sadly, there are also a lot of jerks (and, many times, they are one and the same). Years ago, that wasn't the case. I don't know if the pool of candidates is getting smaller, or maybe all the folks with great personalities cashed out and left, or maybe people are getting burned out and it's wearing on their personality and patience. I've heard stories of managers straight-up cussing out their employees and intimidating/scaring their employees into compliance.

4) It's a giant company now and, inevitably, it has become slower moving and is now layered with process and bureaucracy. So many political battles, empire building, territory grabbing. Google says, "Don't be evil." But, that practice doesn't seem to be put into place when it comes to internal practices. :(

Advice to Senior Management1) Don't dismiss emotional intelligence and adaptive leadership. They're not just catch phases. You need great managers and leaders in order to build great companies and develop great employees. The people who may be brilliant at solving technical issues may not be (and are most often, not) the best candidates for management.

2) Do something about that work-ife balance. Don't just have a bunch of pow-wows and tech talks and discussions about it. Leadership should actually model it. Consider re-evaluating how work is done; what processes are in place that are inefficient and ineffective and need to be updated or removed?

3) Don't forget that there is already a pool of incredibly talented people within the company. If career development is really a goal at Google, then do it. Don't just hire from the outside. Take the time to help your employees develop their careers - then maybe you won't lose some of the great ones, and maybe you'll have prevent some of that burn out and disillusionment.

Great company to work at

BizOps Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

ProsVery talented, ambitious and nice people
Diverse tasks, fascinating challenges
Reasonable working hours
Competitive salary
Good opportunities for growth
Excellent facilities and perks

ConsAs the company has grown very fast, some of the processes are still designed for a small company and it is frustrating to make them work for a large corporation
In some circumstances, politics start to sneak in

Great

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits great company to work here

ConsBureaucracy is a big problem

Software engineer

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

ProsChanging the world one step at a time

ConsToo much talent in one place

Best company to start your career in.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery data driven culture.Engineering is respected and heard a lot. Get to work on state of art technologies and hone variety of skills.

ConsEasy to get lost in the crowd. So many extraordinary people surrounding can sometimes be overwhelming and get to your nerves. But the company has become so big that nobody would care if you just came to work to eat, gossip and take your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective in who you hire and be ready to let them go if you have to.

Great!

Analyst (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company to work for! The company offers great products and is full of great people.

ConsThe working environment is very competitive. It is a big company for starters. Work life balance could be better.

very good company

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Prosvery good company to work with.

Constoo much push and stress.

a good company

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood technology, smart people, can move within company with descent support.

ConsLots of energy and time wasted on politics. More people than the work needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross sites interaction is tough.

The GREATEST company I've ever worked for!

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

ProsGoogle has the GREATEST perks in the world!

ConsGoogle can be very secretive when releasing new products.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication with employees.

Great place to work, AFTER you advance your career.

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture. Great food. Lots of energetic people with a variety of interests. Whatever you're into, you'll find a group of people to do it with at Google, whether it's ports, fitness, music, or racing.

ConsManagers don't seem to be incentivized to help you advance your career. The promotion process is the biggest pain you can imagine, and completely self-propelled. If you're not the type that likes to promote yourself, you'll be stuck at the bottom for a long time.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings in California — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 811 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.