Google

www.google.com

Google Reviews

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape(in 71 reviews)

Lot of Activity - What are we Doing?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Perks (cafeterias, massage, wellness programs, commuter shuttles, bowling alley (!) etc. etc.) are amazing
    - Sharp people
    - Flexible work environment
    - Strong teamwork culture

Cons- A lot of concurrent initiatives, but unsure of status/followthrough/reasons for these initiatives
    - A sense that we are over-hiring
    - Commitment to "dogfooding" is admirable--but sometimes it's OK to use a non-Google application to manage some of our work.
    - There is a tendency to promote people who need more seasoning. Managing people is not a perk of promotion, and not everyone can be a manager.

Advice to Senior Management- Clearer focus. Where are we going? How are we getting there?
    - Clearer feedback regarding expectations of managers.
    - Stronger management development program is needed.

Not bad experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsEnergy atmosphere
    High expectations
    Benefits
    Package
    Perks
    Good place to try out once. Though you have to fight for good work and to be recognized.

ConsOk food
    Disrespect from program managers

It is a pleasure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest Work Life Balance ever seen

ConsPoor Career Growth
    Promotion review is dysfunctional

Advice to Senior Managementget real!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's good.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsI like the technology, culture and perks in Google. I like the fact that Google has many offices all over the world.

ConsIt grows to 30,000 employees by the end of 2011. and It starts to show similar problems as the previous big companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should focus on our main business such as search, ads, mobile and make progress faster. Don't create more intermediate layers in hierarchy.

I am totally satisfied with the work culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsQuality of work is good. You can choose what you want to work.

ConsChallenging envirnorment. Lot of work to be done.

Wow

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat place to work... Great perks and people. Very team oriented. People are smart (see con :-) and friendly. Not political as far as I can tell. Engineering focused which makes it feel like a meritocracy. Again the perks are really amazing... feel like the company really values me.

ConsHard to stand out as a star when everyone is so smart and pedigreed. Also company is very big. Believe it take long time to really build reputation to be able to move ahead... but in the meantime its a lot of fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementWonderful that you are so accessible. Keep doing what you are doing!

Great! Fun!

Sourcer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsFlex hours, great food, easy

Consnot challenging enough. Should have offered a longer contract

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

very good atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosbenefits, atmosphere, decorum, all very strong at google.

Consadvancement opportunities stop after middle management

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing it and you will have happy employees

Fantastic

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGoogle is a great place to work at. Good people, awesome pay and fun culture.

ConsNone that I can think of

Inconsistent managers plague Google

Engineering and Sales (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPerks, food, successful company, some cool products, resume builder

ConsYour time at Google is entirely dependent on the capabilities of your manager.

I worked in MTV for 4.5 years and I've never been at a place with more inconsistent quality of managers. I reported to 6 managers during my time. A few were great, but others were horrifyingly bad. Had enough with my last manager, who was self serving and not well liked by his group, yet the company did NOTHING to remove him. Decided to chart my own course by joining a startup that was more human focused. Have not regretted my decision whatsoever. Much happier now. Too many Google managers are often the victim of their own hubris + lack of real world experience.

In 2005, Google was a place where you could change things and make decisions quickly. Now, it is a place to be a cog in a giant profit machine.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people based on metrics like academic pedigree and grade point average. Focus on human skills and leadership ability. Proactively address cases of poor middle management rather than sticking your head in the sand.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!