Google
4.2 of 5 2,099 reviews
www.google.com Mountain View, CA 5000+ Employees

Google Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development"
    in 92 reviews
  • "Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro"
    in 207 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging"
    in 85 reviews
  • "Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it"
    in 68 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

good pay, great perks

New York, NY

I have been working at Google

ProsGreat perks and pay. You can be proud to tell your mom you work there. Work/Life balance is good. Employees are good people to know now and for the future. Work on great products that hundreds of millions or billions of people will use.

Consas much as it does not want to be one, it is a big company and too easy for people/projects to get lost in the mix. NY Office is big, but definitely suffers form not being in Mountain View.

Great! Fun!

Sourcer (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsFlex hours, great food, easy

Consnot challenging enough. Should have offered a longer contract

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Fantastic

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

ProsGoogle is a great place to work at. Good people, awesome pay and fun culture.

ConsNone that I can think of

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfactory

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Google

ProsDynamic, innovative, creative and simplicity

ConsCompetitive, demanding, and long hours

Recruiting at Google is an experience you must not miss

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsThe teamwork is wonderful and supportive, though competitive as all get out. Recruiting for the best of the best is an interesting and vital experience at Google. The ATS is wonderful, compared to others out there. The culture is vital, dynamic and engaging.

ConsThe up and down sides are there is a lot of change. Google does not get stale, that is for sure. But the processes change a lot which makes it a little less sticky than it "should" be, IMHO. There is a lot of social competitiveness that is very intense, but that does drive excellence, even if you do feel like your job could end any minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the leaders need to lead more and accept the performers that are not excellent but highly functional. That way you can keep people for the long haul.

Inconsistent managers plague Google

Engineering and Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsPerks, food, successful company, some cool products, resume builder

ConsYour time at Google is entirely dependent on the capabilities of your manager.

I worked in MTV for 4.5 years and I've never been at a place with more inconsistent quality of managers. I reported to 6 managers during my time. A few were great, but others were horrifyingly bad. Had enough with my last manager, who was self serving and not well liked by his group, yet the company did NOTHING to remove him. Decided to chart my own course by joining a startup that was more human focused. Have not regretted my decision whatsoever. Much happier now. Too many Google managers are often the victim of their own hubris + lack of real world experience.

In 2005, Google was a place where you could change things and make decisions quickly. Now, it is a place to be a cog in a giant profit machine.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people based on metrics like academic pedigree and grade point average. Focus on human skills and leadership ability. Proactively address cases of poor middle management rather than sticking your head in the sand.

factory worker

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

Prosfree food, gym, perks. big name for recognition.

ConsCompany big on branding human resources w/ employees at the top of the hierarchy, and then contractors , and finally temp workers. Badges identify status with the company. Contractors and temps restricted to only work-site building/zone.

Advice to Senior Managementvalue people because every contributes to the empire

Excellent, but Stressful.

Intern (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at Google

ProsGreat infrastructure, great technology, great food (bad for keeping fit though).

ConsSlow process from idea to launch, too many hoops to run through.
Infrastructure not easily transferable outside of Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore efficient ways to go from ideas to launch.

One of the best places to work as an engineer, period.

I have been working at Google

ProsA value placed upon moving fast and breaking things. A true meritocracy culture. As egalitarian a workforce as I have ever seen. Probably the best engineering team on the planet. Incredible benefits and pay.

ConsA few things have slowed down a bit due to growth. A bit more siloed than it used to be. Of all places, the highest praise I can give is that I find very very little to complain about.

Nice perks, it's better if you can get in at a high level

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Google

ProsReally great people-- smart and interesting. Good cadence of people wanting to do new things. It's a huge company with lots of global offices so there are opportunities to do international assignments which is really amazing.

ConsGetting political, and there is a big difference between old timers and new comers, right out of college and MBAs. They recruit for AdWords right out of college and the pay is ok-- but I think they largely get incredibly talented at a low "price" just b/c it's Google. If you don't have an advanced degree, you're told you can move around (and you can, title and job wise) but it's going to be lateral moves for the most part. Moving up seems virtually impossible these days.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency is something the company is proud of. It's pretty good here but at the same time, there are tons of instances of favoritism. For example, a lot of people in the AdWords department managed people they were previously friends with. It made a lot of promotion decisions seem less-than-objective. I would have upper management really consider how middle managers are selected and how they do their jobs b/c there are some really crummy middle managers who make life for their teams pretty rotten.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Google CEO Larry Page . All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Google employees.