Google

www.google.com

Google Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

Excellent place to work

Product Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossmart peers, value on work life balance, open culture internally, excellent benefits, nice work space

Conslarge and sometimes feels like it, need to coordinate with my teams/stakeholders

Software Engineering internship at Google

Intern (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros+ Highest pay around.
    + Free meals & food, transportation, housing, gym access, car sharing.
    + Access to the brightest minds in the industry.
    + Chance to work on real, production code that will be used while you still work there.

ConsHonestly, I have had nothing but a good experience working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Keep on integrating interns into the core of company life: encourage meetings and access to management.

Great company, great product, but too big now.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsGreat product, great culture. I love the google search, and android system, gmail etc.

ConsToo big now, not as good as before. The google plus is very disappointing, seems too many managment now. However it is common in every big company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lean but comfortable environment to get stuff done and change the world

Product Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Integrated Product, Engineering and UX teams
    - Focus is on the user and improving product
    - Incredibly sophisticated software development practices and agility
    - Transparency of the organization
    - Really smart leadership team
    - Very comprehensive benefits & perks
    - Strong education program

Cons- Limited upside prospects unless you're (a) personally critical to the business and (b) threatening to leave for another company
    - HR process for internal mobility isn't working well
    - Opaque resource allocation process

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to director recruitment. Of all the management levels, it is the one where I've observed the most variation in quality.

Great place to work, getting a little bogged down with bureaucracy

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsFun work environment, challenging, flexible, great pay.

ConsBecoming a "big company". Harder to get things done than it used to be

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that innovation isn't slowed down.

6 year Googler

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsEveryone in engineering is very smart and nice. As a nerd, I feel right at home.
    Excellent benefits.
    Amazing infrastructure to do your job.
    Interesting problems.

ConsEverything is pretty complicated so a lot of work goes into researching potential adverse interactions.

Great place for intern

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsFree food.
    Free drink.
    Gym, Game, everything.
    Good work environment.
    Flexible work hours.
    Code review process.

ConsNot too many things to complain.
    It is the best intern experience I have ever had.

Best company to work for, really

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsExcellent work environment and coworkers. Everyone is really open and sharing and it is a great atmosphere. The company is also very open with everything that is going on,

ConsReally none with the company, but living expenses in the bay area are crazy and although salaries are good they don't make up for the cost of living.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing :)

Open-air culture, but great if that suits you

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLots of activities, and plenty of time for training courses. Personal calls, printing etc. allowed; even let me borrow an Ethernet cable when I arrived without one. "Tech Talks" that offer a chance to ask Larry and/or Sergey questions.

ConsI was a Java programmer not seated near project teammates or other Java programmers, and was on a floor with no cubicle walls. Relied on headphones for noise control whenever I needed to think deeply (which, as an undergrad intern, was more often than for full-time engineers).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis on placing teammates together. More support needed in implementing OSS authentication clients -- would eliminate the need for an F/T engineer on many small internal apps. Employees with Asperger's/ADHD need walled cubicles to control distractions.

engineering at Google Inc

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGrowing company which offer more potential opportunities

ConsTry to do too many things

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!