Google Reviews in London, England

2,569 Reviews

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page
Larry Page
1,399 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 126 reviews)

• Free food onsite three times a day is an essential convenience factor (in 249 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 113 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Outstanding

Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is always a new challenge

Cons

Quality of more recent hires not as good as it used to be

Continue to learn from mistakes

Challenging, fun and rewarding

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career-wise this is a great place to work - there are opportunities for anyone who is willing to build a reputation. The work itself, the smart people and the perks: a Japanese restaurant serving up Asian food every day for free!

Cons

I would say the main downside is that people work such long hours. Perhaps this is because the environment is so competitive. I also don't think the salary in London is competitive with the main alternative employers - investment banks.

Amazing company but very corporate and pressured now

Current Employee - Advertising Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, always stimulating - talks, guest speakers and interesting things going on -connected to your work and unrelated, amazing benefits. Fast paced, still seems on the cutting edge despite there being lots of younger exciting tech/media companies about now. A company to feel proud of. Lots of opportunities to learn and push yourself. Above average pay.

Cons

Very different from the early start up or even mid sized company days (understandably). Corporate, crowded- there is constant pressure and competition to stand out from the crowd. All employees are intelligent and motivated and striving to impress so it's easy to become a 'mediocre performer' if you aren't constantly upping your game. Can be challenging if you have significant responsibilities outside work but is the best place to work if you are young, energetic and relatively 'free' to dedicate most of your life to it.

Keep focusing on flexibility and diversity to ensure you retain talent. Make internal transfers/exposure to new roles and business areas easier.

Good work for hard-working people

Current Employee - Web Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rewards for performance rather than according to position. Excellent learning possibilities internally as well externally even if not related to a role.

Cons

Working with lots of experienced professionals is a challenge itself. Be sure to be ready to work with competitive(in good way) people that challenge the status quo.

Wide range of possibilities in taking time off of any kind. Constant emphasis on self development. If you want to be heard you will be heard.

The best experience in my carreer

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great projects and culture, plenty of nice and interesting people to work with, easy to get involved in whatever interests you.
    Also plenty of resources and supportive management which allows to be ambitious and still succeed.
    Perks are also great.

Cons

I can't imagine working somewhere else even for much more money.

Great place to work, but...

Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Free food, free gym, plenty of autonomy and perks. Interesting speakers come into talk and we can generally set our own times and get our work done to our own rhythms.

Cons

Interesting projects are hard to come by outside the US hub. There is a hierarchy even if they claim there isn't. Decisions take forever - everyone's opinion is valid, yet there are too many decision makers and no decisions. Promotion is more about who you know that what you did. You will work long hours - usually till 7pm.

Overall good

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a fun place to work. Everybody is willing to teach you something new.

Cons

The company is a bit overwhelming

Had the best time of my life.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Did an internship as a Software Engineer at the London office and also had the opportunity to visit Mountain View.
    * My team was great, all super talented people from different areas (most of them Ivy-leaguers) - theoretical Physisists, CS folks, hardware specialists and even guys with background in social sciences - all of them software engineers, too.
    * The project was super interesting and meaningful and unlike other companies, Google has very good tutorials/material to get you up to speed in whatever you do.
    * The atmosphere is great. Awesome food and the little micro-kitchens make you feel very comfortable. But it's not only the food, most engineers are very outgoing and fun and the ones who aren't are good at heart.
    * Reputation. Google not only does great software but does what many other large companies fail to do: they conduct research in areas beyond their core business, in areas that are completely new, only to prove everyone wrong and show what can be done. Examples (just to name a few): - Google Fiber - Google Glass - Project Loon - Google driverless car. Personally, I find this super exciting.
    * Benefits. There's so many, even for interns! Don't know where to start. You can spend 20% of your time on a project of your choice. I did a 20% project with another intern, that was really fun.
    * Cool activities. The recruiters did a truly awesome job at organizing weekly fun activities (e.g. we watched "the Internship" before its original release in the cinema, flew to the Zurich office for the "intern summit", just to name a few ). And this in addition to all the other fun stuff happening every day.

Cons

* many people think high of themselves; but I guess this is normal in companies that hire the best, luckliy there's most people aren't like this

Keep hiring awesome tech people. Maybe raise standards for technical questions.

Still one of the best companies to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work culture, amazing colleagues, excellent benefits and most importantly, really challenging work

Cons

After a while, you get too much pigeon-holed in to a specific role; Only x% of the people still do get to work on awesome open source stuff - everyone else works on a gaint, pretty much closed ecosystem, platform and tech stack wise.
    Also, the company is getting too big, a little outside of everyone's comfort zone; almost 0% work-life balance;

while taking on more work looks good on your appraisal, a ton of actually doing it ends up on your team - just be aware of that.

I had a blast

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Working with smart people,
    Get to build cool stuff,
    Free food!

Cons

Work-life-inbalance is an issue. I guess they make it so good to stay there, that you do.

Trust those who are good at what they do. You've hired them for a reason.