Google

Google Reviews in Mountain View, CA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

763 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to Work for but Maybe Not Forever

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe Google company culture is everything it's been built up to be. It's like working on a college campus with your friends but you really do get to do cool things that matter. You will have to opportunity to make the world a better place and help other companies use Google products to better their own businesses.

You'll truly get to work with great teams and will find a lot of people who care about your success and are willing to help. Support from management is pretty good overall.

The food is also fantastic.

ConsGoogle does employ a lot of people on one year contracts. It is actually more difficult to become a full-time employee while in a contractor role than it seems to be coming from outside Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who have been here for a year are a real asset to the company. They are familiar with the products and the way the company operates. They are allowed to leave and excel at other companies once their contracts expire. Management may want to rethink that.

Yes, it really is a great place to work!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsFantastic benefits. A culture that motivates a strong work ethic. Access to some of the worlds best leaders in areas of machine learning and large scale data algorithms.

ConsNot as much freedom to innovate as one might expect. The quarterly review cycle tends to throw out the idea of trying for a longer term vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementThrow out the quarterly review cycle, or at least keep the impact on day-to-day decision making to a minimum. It is too short a time-frame to draw conclusions. Also, drastically change your hiring process. It is far too slow, and the slowness is built into the painstaking steps that the interviewers have to take to support the interview process.

The best employer I've ever had

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsEveryone without exception is very good at their job. The work is interesting and varied, the perks and compensation are great, and there's very little of the normal corporate BS that tends to distract people from their job at other companies.

ConsBecause the bar is so high and the pool is so talented, it seems that sometimes people would would excel at other companies have a hard time keeping up here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management doesn't always do exactly what I would want them to do at first, but one nice thing about Google is that everyone throughout the company is given a voice, and often decisions can be affected or overridden by the will of the masses, usually for the better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome company to work for

Strategic Partner Development Lead (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prossalary, stocks, work life balance, management, peers, it is a dream to work here everyday!

ConsPromotions are very hard to get

Great company to work for focusing on projects with a global scale, but slowing down as it gets bigger.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsWork with very smart people
    Work on global scale projects that an have a huge impact
    Great work environment with a lot of perks
    Amazing company culture

ConsSpeed of projects slowing down as company gets bigger (more politics, processes to follow, etc.)
    Growth, promotions, and challenges also slowing down as company grows

Great company, awesome co workers, but getting really really big.

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsVery smart management in almost every department with clear, ambitious vision. Most people at the company are self starters and have a desire to improve whether its making the products, workplace services, or even things like food and transportation for employees.

ConsCompany is getting huge, hard to navigate organization. I still believe its one of the best run large companies but at some point an organization will just get too large and loses the agility and speed that it had before.

An Amazing Company to Work For.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are endless projects to choose from. If you do not feel challenged enough, there is no one stopping you from trying to find another project. The amenities are great. The food is fantastic. There is something different every day of the week. It is obvious that Google loves its employees. The culture is amazing too. Each employee does not mind helping the other out if they are stuck. I feel it is encouraged to reach out to others.

ConsThere is nothing wrong putting in more than 100%, but I feel sometimes no one has a life other than working. I do not blame the company for this because they actually encourage outside activities. But you still see it sometimes. The projects are just too awesome.

Account Manager

SMB Account Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsAmazing people, amazing benefits. The company spoils you for sure. I worked on the SMB Team and did connect well with many clients to help them understand the value of AdWords and get as much out of the product as they could.

ConsThose coming straight out of college, note that having Google on your resume is fantastic, but this role may not be ideal for you if you're not interested in Sales. It requires a lot of cold-calling and internal movement may be harder than you expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe straightforward with account managers. It's understood that all aspects of one's job are not necessarily glamorous, but candy-coating things only tends to make things worse.

Perfect experience

Quantitative Analyst Intern (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros1. There are rich resources for internal training.
    2. Flexible time and nice work/life balance.
    3. Generous payment and relocation stipend.
    4. Gorgeous people to work and interact at work.
    5. Google holds internal weekly meetings to share the most recent progress in various teams.

ConsAs the company is too big, it takes more time to learn about the different opportunities on a higher level. Typical projects have narrow focuses and it is hard to learn what everybody else is doing in the team.

Fantastic company

Map Designer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe rumors about the glamorous work environment at Google are true. You're in a comfortable workplace surrounded by the best people and practically smothered with perks.

ConsThe fabulous perks are there to keep the highly skilled employees complacent while they perform the menial, repetitive, labor that is required to keep the machine running. On any given eventing, many a Googler can be heard lamenting his/her under-stimulating project at any given Palo Alto watering hole.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!