Google Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
972 reviews filtered by
  • Mountain View, CA

Not perfect, but wonderful.

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Take away everything else, and the reason to work at Google is the people. I've learned more here than I have anywhere else, and everyone I've worked with has been mutually interested in improving each other. Being able to attend engineering talks by people all over the organization (and world) is a hugely enriching experience.

Beyond that, all the perks are great:

- Opportunity to make changes that affect huge numbers of users

- Employees are judged by their contributions: nobody cares when you're in the office. It's very easy to set your own work life balance. Management knows that happy well-balanced workers are the most productive ones.

- Incredible build environment: there's a huge amount of power at a developer's fingertips. Reviewing, testing, and code health are taken seriously.

- Fascinating infrastructure: the internal environment is very open, and it's thrilling to be able to poke around and see how the Google machine ticks.

- Leadership keeps us in the loop: we may not always like what they have to say, but we get weekly opportunities to ask upper management questions.

- Tons of delicious food and snacks with huge variety: I've started eating five small meals on workdays instead of three big ones.

- Ability to job hunt internally: if you get tired of doing what you're doing, you can do a mini job application to start with a new team.

- Medical benefits: I'm continually surprised at what's covered with just a $15 copay.

- Parties: Halloween and Christmas mean big fun elaborate parties, and there are lower key events like stargazing parties too.

- Transportation: don't get me wrong, bay area traffic sucks, but being able to take a shuttle instead of driving gives me a good opportunity to get reading done without having to worry about transfers or other public transit snags.

- Stock awards with value: sure, I missed the high risk high reward boat on this, but I probably would have bought Google stock even if I never worked here.

- One hell of a rubber stamp for my resume in my eventual future job finding endeavors.

Cons

Google is inevitably becoming bigger and more corporate as time goes on. Sometimes leadership will make a decision that seems only to benefit the company to the detriment of employees or users. If you step back, everything is still great overall so it's hard to complain, but it can be troubling at times. Whenever that happens I just hug my stock real tight and remember that I can always bail if things actually start going south. So far nothing's made me consider leaving.

2. Very interesting place. Lots going on and lots of opportunity for growth.

Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility and room to take initiative.

Cons

Not a lot of process so make sure you know how to take initiative.

Sometimes slowing down can be better than moving too fast.

3. Incredible Workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love how I'm treated at the company.

Cons

Can't think of anything publicly. That's one of the pros... If I have an issue, I can have it addressed internally and taken car of.

5. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Fabulous perks, salary and fun environment!

Cons

Working overtime and promotions not easily achieved

Keep up the good communication and relations

Good experience, but depends on which group you are in

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everything you hear about Google is true -- free perks, lunch, dinner, dentist on-site. It feels like an idealistic utopia. Lots of super smart people, but sometimes high ego and out of touch with reality.

Cons

Unless you are a software engineer or senior exec, your pay and career advancement opportunities are limited. It's also a massive company, so your experience depends greatly on which group and manager you have.

Create a culture that celebrates every employee, not just software engineers. It feels like two worlds of "haves" and "have nots."

Energetic office environment, great colleagues, okay total compensation, diificult location

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Motivated and intelligent coworkers. Good food, snacks, and drinks. Opportunities for business travel. Internal transfer is highly supported. Engaging work and the (potential) ability to have a large impact. People generally behave predictably and professionally. Numerous company sponsored activities, groups, and classes. Shuttle system is efficient if you can handle the 2 to 4 hour round trip commute from SF.

Cons

Suburban office location is quite dull. Cost of living is *extremely* high. Total compensation is just okay considering the latter. The salary however, is just plain mediocre. You often learn about the cool things Google does after it leaks to the media, not internally. Many products and positions lack excitement and attention. The sales/partnerships side of the company will always play second fiddle to engineering (no surprise there). Many of the sales jobs are difficult to recommend to bright, high potential candidates. Loud and sometimes distracting 'bull pen' style offices. Google is a massive company. The size can be disheartening.

The organization is increasingly hierarchal, with a long chain of managers. Keeping things flat will help the company stay nimble. There's significant functional division and minimal collaboration across functions among those working on the same product (Sales, Marketing, and Engineering). I love the willingness to discuss heated topics internally.

8. Google Recruiting - Absolutely fantastic first job out of school!

Former Contractor - Sourcer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

- I worked with a fantastically smart and fun team, and many of us still keep in touch today.
    - Google's recruiters and sourcers taught me so much, and I've taken many, many marketable skills from my first job with them.
    - Good work is recognized and rewarded: while I started off at a very entry-level role on a contract, I was promoted and given more responsibility within my first 6 months on the team.
    - Opportunity for leadership is definitely there. My manager encouraged me to take the lead or co-lead position on several projects, which allowed me to work with tons of smart people outside of our department, too.
    - I could talk all day about the perks, but I'll just say that Google's perks are unmatched in how awesome they are. Hands down. Even as a contractor, I was encouraged to take advantage of many of the perks, such as free food, summer concerts and speaker discussions, the commuter bus, the community service day, etc. It was awesome.
    - Company values-- I really did feel like we were making a difference for the world when working at Google. The team did really care about bringing great people into the organization that would make our overall company more forward thinking, diverse in thought and background, and that would exemplify our company values.

Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better first job out of school or a better first place to cut my teeth in the working world.

Cons

- The only cons I can think of were that we didn't have a ton of headcount for conversion to full-time employee in the department I was in. I would have loved to stay on the team and continue growing there, but being in recruiting has made me understand that this is not unusual for an organization of this size.

Being on the recruiting team, I loved hearing Google's SVP of People talk at meetings. He was really inspiring, and I follow him on LinkedIn now since he's a frequent influencer. I think he's really someone to learn a lot from if you're in the HR or recruiting space.

9. BOLD Intern

Former Intern - BOLD Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - BOLD Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Best experience of my life. I recommend it to everybody I meet. I had the time of my life over the summer I was here. My coworkers were great, my work was interesting, I joined some intramural teams, I ate lots of good food, and more than anything it opened SO MANY doors for me down the road by having Google on my resume.

Cons

I came into the BOLD program because I didn't find a placement within the more traditional Software Engineering Intern role (I had accommodations for my interview which pushed back the timeline of when they could be performed... so I passed the technical screen and got through to the the team placement phase but ended up running out of time before I got placed). Anywho, BOLD is not really set up for technical interns, so there were some issues getting access to the coding resources I needed when I arrived and it was a little haphazard on that front. But I think that's probably just unique to my situation given that I was an eng in the BOLD program. The rest of the BOLDers (business/law/finance people) didn't seem to have any troubles.

Keep on keeping on. You guys rock! I only wish that I been exposed to the idea of an internship at Google earlier (I did it my senior year). To that end, I would love to see a larger push on campuses to apply, as I didn't hear about anyone from my school (NYU) talking about/applying to the program. In fact, I think there were only 2 of us who did so. I don't know how she knew to do it, but I heard through my disability network (Lime Connect) which isn't of much use to the rest of the normally functioning students.

Paradise with a few setbacks

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are so many people who are recognized world-wide and have their own wikipedia page that you can meet while working at this company. There is also a death benefit, which is when a Google employee passes away, their stock vests immediately, and their surviving spouse receives 50% of their salary for the next 10 years. They really do want to take care of you.

Cons

This is just the inevitable problem associated with companies that amass a large size and establishment in the market, but it's hard for employees themselves to innovate. Also, there are just too many over-qualified employees at Google who are relegated to simpler roles.

Regress to the original organization of a startup: zero committees. Everyone must have a voice in innovating.

11. Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, hard problems, very competitive salary and the best benefits around.

Cons

Can be hard to advance with so many great people around you.