Google

Employer Engaged

952 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Innovative, fast-moving company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people, glamorous work environment, amazing perks, .

Cons

Company is becoming big and middle management layer is growing.

If given the opportunity, grab it!

I worked at Google

Pros

Flexible scheduling.

Open, collaborative atmosphere.

Interesting, challenging projects.

Transportation provided.

Lot's of perks.

Cons

Main offices are in Mountain View.

Stay focused!

Love Google.

Current Employee - Group Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Group Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company. Great culture. Smart people and exciting products to work on. Amazing benefits and a particularly generous medical insurance. I couldn't see myself working anywhere else.

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough. As big as the company is, there are some extra-lean teams taking a lot on. Also need better gender balance in the workforce.

Hire more women.

Overall a good experience working for one of the top companies in the world.

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The food court is amazing. They have all types of food here and it's all cooked in front of you. And getting around campus is a breeze.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons except for the fact that a lot of jobs at Google are contract positions. I wish they would hire their best workers from contract to permanent based on performance.

Management here really depends on where and what department you work at. There are a lot of different projects going on around the Google campus so I cannot answer this definitively. But my experience overall was alright.

An incredible place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Year after year, Google is rated the best company to work for. Open culture, interesting people, passionate about making an impact on the world.

Cons

All the free food is tough to resist :) Google is a big company, so it can't move as fast as a startup.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Can be Great, Can suck.

Current Employee - SRE in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - SRE in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Google is still overall a good place to work, It is not the great place to work it once was but its not the worst by any means. As it grows it has lots of big company bs and politics that come with that. If you think Google once you get to Google everything you hate about working in cooperate america will be better you will be very disappointed.

Cons

It all depends on your immediate team and manager. Google is so big now that anything you say about them is not true of different area good or bad.

Google wants everyone to live in Mountain View or New York with a total disregard for there ability to afford to live there.

Stop making everyone live in the most expensive places.
    Find the bad managers and weed them out.

Amazing from the outside, just okay from the inside

Current Employee - Administrative Business Partner in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Business Partner in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google

Pros

Compensation, perks, development opportunities, inspirational co-workers

Cons

Too big, getting too corporate, high pressure at times

Empower your employees more, provide more space, time, and training for meaningful development for your employees

Great

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on cutting edge research and sophisticated problems, good money, great benefits.

Cons

Perenially competing with some of the smartest people on the planet

Continue to focus on long term things

Stay aware from Consumer Operations department

Former Employee - Consumer Operations in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Consumer Operations in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time

Pros

- Mission driven, product focused company (I really respect and admire the co-founders)
    - Obviously all the perks that folks talk about (on-site doctors, many different cafes with its own themes, annual holiday gift, etc)
    - Great brand recognition - you can always feel validated when you tell people you work at Google
    - Truly a company that tries to be innovative and do good for society
    - Overall compensation that's hard to match unless you're going to Facebook (competitive base + yearly bonus + equity + all the perks of being at Google)

Cons

- The department you go to will dictate whether you have a great time or terrible time at Google.
    - Consumer Operations was a really political organization, with folks who wanted to watch out for their own behinds so would throw others under the bus as necessary. In this department, we had managers who were not fit to lead. While rest of Google had flexibility to work remotely, this department frowned upon this which is ironic given the senior director lives in Los Angeles and actually commutes back/forth with a fair amount of remote work.
    - Be ready for reorgs often and change of responsibilities
    - There are definite jerks in Consumer Operations department, you wouldn't think it given the transparent, open culture of Google but Consumer Operations has its own culture. Unfortunately, the Consumer Operations culture is not the Google culture.

- Remember that people don't leave companies, they leave managers
    - If you're in Consumer Operations, I'd recommend getting out of there to other parts of Google that are more healthy

Such an amazing opportunity, who could say no to this? (Consultant review)

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I began working part time while I was still in college. Over a span of 3 years, and several projects, I've had a variety of mentors that have helped me grow and develop my skills. I work in Corporate Engineering which has the casual culture, with a hard work ethic, that Google is known for. Everywhere you turn there are collaborative spaces that let teams and individuals meet on the fly. Have a problem that's been bugging you... take a time out and go play a game. You never know when the next person you run into may have the solution that you've been looking for.

Cons

Elitist culture in many parts of the company. The org that I work in seems to value its consultants and temp work more than a lot of other areas, so it can be difficult working with another group that treats you like a second-class citizen, especially if you have a non-ivy degree.

Recognize that an expensive diploma doesn't necessarily mean good employee. And knowing all the right answers on paper doesn't always translate to being able to put that knowledge to work.