Google

Google Reviews in Mountain View, CA

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development (in 105 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro (in 220 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging (in 100 reviews)

• You can feel that it's a really big company now - difficult to advance & a lot of red tape (in 71 reviews)

More Highlights
770 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great employer, smart people, with some shortcoming of being a big company

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsCan't beat Google's culture and perks.
    Caring and smart people everywhere.
    Some work is challenging (depends on your role).

ConsCompany is getting big, and not everyone is moving as fast as we were before.
    There are clearly hierarchy, and most of time it doesn't equate bureaucracy but sometimes it does .

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nimble and move faster.

Nice company bad culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsIntelligent people, fantastic management, incredible foresight.

ConsPeople are human, they are not technology slaves.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more structure going.

Awesome company to work for

Strategic Partner Development Lead (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prossalary, stocks, work life balance, management, peers, it is a dream to work here everyday!

ConsPromotions are very hard to get

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for focusing on projects with a global scale, but slowing down as it gets bigger.

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsWork with very smart people
    Work on global scale projects that an have a huge impact
    Great work environment with a lot of perks
    Amazing company culture

ConsSpeed of projects slowing down as company gets bigger (more politics, processes to follow, etc.)
    Growth, promotions, and challenges also slowing down as company grows

Great company, awesome co workers, but getting really really big.

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsVery smart management in almost every department with clear, ambitious vision. Most people at the company are self starters and have a desire to improve whether its making the products, workplace services, or even things like food and transportation for employees.

ConsCompany is getting huge, hard to navigate organization. I still believe its one of the best run large companies but at some point an organization will just get too large and loses the agility and speed that it had before.

An Amazing Company to Work For.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are endless projects to choose from. If you do not feel challenged enough, there is no one stopping you from trying to find another project. The amenities are great. The food is fantastic. There is something different every day of the week. It is obvious that Google loves its employees. The culture is amazing too. Each employee does not mind helping the other out if they are stuck. I feel it is encouraged to reach out to others.

ConsThere is nothing wrong putting in more than 100%, but I feel sometimes no one has a life other than working. I do not blame the company for this because they actually encourage outside activities. But you still see it sometimes. The projects are just too awesome.

Account Manager

SMB Account Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsAmazing people, amazing benefits. The company spoils you for sure. I worked on the SMB Team and did connect well with many clients to help them understand the value of AdWords and get as much out of the product as they could.

ConsThose coming straight out of college, note that having Google on your resume is fantastic, but this role may not be ideal for you if you're not interested in Sales. It requires a lot of cold-calling and internal movement may be harder than you expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe straightforward with account managers. It's understood that all aspects of one's job are not necessarily glamorous, but candy-coating things only tends to make things worse.

Perfect experience

Quantitative Analyst Intern (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros1. There are rich resources for internal training.
    2. Flexible time and nice work/life balance.
    3. Generous payment and relocation stipend.
    4. Gorgeous people to work and interact at work.
    5. Google holds internal weekly meetings to share the most recent progress in various teams.

ConsAs the company is too big, it takes more time to learn about the different opportunities on a higher level. Typical projects have narrow focuses and it is hard to learn what everybody else is doing in the team.

Great

ProsGood culture. Wacky HQ. Good Perks

ConsBad management, some leaders take things not so seriously

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your theoretical skills as they are your tools of your trade

Most innovative company of our generation

Director (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsAmbitious with global scale and resources

ConsSpeed of execution results in acceptance of short attention spans

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!