Google

Google Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Google Co-Founder & CEO Larry Page

Larry Page

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development(in 103 reviews)

• Free food, amazing people, amazing vision - almost everything about this company is a pro(in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • This is one reason why maintaining a good work-life balance can be challenging(in 98 reviews)

• Google is no different than any other big company and they are starting to realize it(in 70 reviews)

125 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great balance between big-company security and fun, fast-moving projects

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros* If you're a software engineer, you're among the kings of the hill at Google. It's an engineer-driven company without a doubt (that *is* changing, but it's still very engineer-focused).
    * The perks are amazing. Yes, free breakfast, lunch, an dinner every weekday. Aaaaaamazing holiday parties (at Waldorf Astoria, NY Public Library, MoMA, etc.); overnight ski trips to Vermont; overnight nature trips to the Poconos in the summer; summer picnics at Chelsea piers; and on and on and on. I don't see this going away unless the company starts hurting financially.
    * Speaking of which, the company is doing quite well, which reflects in bonuses and equity grants.
    * There a huge diversity of work ranging from defending independent journalism worldwide (Google Project Shield) to crisis response during disasters (see Maps during Hurricane Sandy or Tsunamis), to the best machine learning experts and projects in the world, to more mundane revenue-driving projects in advertising, there's really something for everybody.
    * It's easy to move around within the company as long as you're in good standing (the vast majority of engineers are).
    * The company is amazingly open: every week Larry Page and Sergey Brin host what's called TGIF where food, beer, wine, etc. is served, a new project is presented, and afterward there's an open forum to ask the executives anything you want. It's truly fair game to ask anything, no matter how controversial, and frequently the executives will be responsive.
    * No, nobody cares if you use an iPhone, Facebook, shop with Amazon, stream using Spotify, or refuse to use Google+. The company is amazingly open and flexible.

Neither pro nor con, but general information on work-life balance, promotions, and advancement.
    * Work life balance can be what you want it to be on most teams. (Some teams are in more competitive sectors and require more crazy hours all the time - but very few of them). If you do what's expected, you'll be fine at least for a handful of years. Working a roughly 40 hour work week is possible, and many people do it. There are also people who are hyper-motived and work like crazy just because they love it, or because they're competitive, or they want to get a promotion. If you work 40 hour weeks without putting in anything extra, you'll fall behind them as they advance and you stand still - and maybe that doesn't matter, so it works out for everybody. But at least know where you would realistically stand.
    * If you excel and work your butt off, you'll be compensated and promoted. If you let yourself be a code monkey, and just sit coding with your head down all day, you'll be fine but won't advance. A big complaint from some Googlers is about not being able to advance "even at Google" with pure coding. Sure, if you're the uber genius who created MapReduce and Bigtable, you're going to advance like a rocket without having to do anything but coding; but if you're like most engineers at Google -- smarter than average, but just average compared to other Googlers -- you're just a good coder and not revolutionary. Code monkeys are important to actually get stuff done, and to be sure you absolutely need to be a good coder as a software engineer (it's the minimum requirement), but code monkeys won't advance because they're not leaders and they're easy to replace. To get promoted you need to lead and do more than just code. There are plenty of ways to lead other than being an official tech lead, so this isn't actually _that_ hard, so the real point is just that you can't just sit there coding what other people tell you to code all day and expect to advance.

Cons* It *is* becoming larger, and with it comes growing pains: bureaucracy, slow to respond to market threats, bloated teams, cross-divisional tension (though nothing remotely approaching that of Microsoft's internal tension).
    * The quality of the engineers is possibly dropping, but possibly not. It's hard to get real metrics, because as the absolute number of people grows, naturally the number of bad apples grows; as a percentage it's supposedly the same as it ever was, but with larger numbers of poorer quality engineers it just _feels_ like things might be changing for the worse.
    * Also with growth means more internal-confidential data leaks (again, because of the raw numbers of people) -- product announcements being ruined, etc. That means the company has to be tighter-lipped internally to avoid leaks, which makes things less open. It's still an amazingly open place, but less so than it was even a couple years ago. The good thing is they recognize it and actively look to improve things because they know how important it is to keep the good culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on the user. Everything else will follow.

Best Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing place to work. The perks are crazy and well document so I won't repeat them here. They really take care of their people and make sure all our needs are taken care of.

ConsYour manager can make or break you. With the right manager you'll be promoted quickly and work on awesome projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your people! You're doing great

Played a lot of ping pong

Technical Sourcer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorked with awesome people. Terrific perks and benefits. Fantastic learning environment. Loved the free food. I got to play a lot of ping pong.

ConsYou're a small piece of a large machine. It's difficult to have impact.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe contractor model for recruiters/sourcers doesn't work. You just train someone on best practices for a year, then send them directly to your competitors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic place to learn, grow, and work

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGoogle takes care of its people. On the sales side, I enjoy a fantastic work/life balance and really love the work that I'm doing in programmatic ad sales. Vacation time is fair, pay is fair, and the perks are insane.

ConsIf you get stuck with a bad manager, it can really ruin your experience a bit. Need to know how to navigate the corporate structure in order to be successful.

Caring and down to earth employees

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBeing able to show up to work dressed causally and not too stressful environment which allowed for growth and learning.

ConsThe entrance exam was very difficult and there were alot of background checks undertaken before the job was actually started. This made for a very stressful first impression but quickly got better as the process progressed.

Man to can reach stars.

Entertainer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe best thing is the quality time you spend with your co workers!!

ConsAbility to succeed can be restricting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive everyone chances, by bestowing knowledge not demands.

Great place to work

Technical Writer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEmployees are treated well. Everyone is laid back. You don't feel the pressure of your boss always riding your back. Friendly place.

ConsNo real cons, just hard to get fulltime placement. I was a contract employee and there were alot of other contractors. Seemed to be the norm.

Great place to grow, great culture, great technology

Corporate Operations Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are great growth opportunities, from internal mobility, internal training, and tuition reimbursement (Google paid for me to go through graduate school). The company has still managed to mostly keep to the "don't be evil" mindset. You're constantly surrounded by really smart people.

ConsI can't help but feel that I and everyone around me is overqualified for what we do. It's great that internal mobility has been easy for me in my years here, but not great that it sometimes is more about escaping boredom than it is finding new exciting challenges. A co-worker recently left after being here only a few months because he lost patience waiting to have been in his role long enough to be able to move to something else.

Google also no longer offers full tuition reimbursement and instead just pays 2/3. I'm glad I finished school before this policy went into effect. They've made the process more complicated and have added more bureaucracy (additional bureaucracy seems to be a trend here).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep busting bureaucracy

Great place to work but very competitive

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros• Compensation
    • Benefits
    • Offices are fun
    • Infinite opportunities to learn

Cons• Very competitive and difficult to make career progression
    • Everyone is overqualified for their jobs. Because everyone wants to work at Google, they can get by hiring candidates with 5+ experience for positions other companies consider entry level.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for employees to move around and progress their careers.

Great company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing technology. Great environment to learn in. High expectations. You need to be able to upramp quickly and come up to speed on emerging bleeding edge technologies in short order.

ConsThe hours can be very long. Google has a strong Not Invented Here mentality. So you will work with a lot of Google-only code. Everything from the development environment, build system, code review tool, automated test tool are in house only tools. They are all custom developed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on Mobile. Be careful not to be too distracted by the Google X projects.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!